Broncos recruitment & players missed

Why do you dislike him?
He's a chav and his attitude on the field just gives me the shits.
Besides, I really don't think he's as good as people seem to believe. He was made to look better in the ESL, but I doubt he'll be that good in the NRL.

@talanoa, you seem to have an axe to grind with the current administration, yet almost every single example you gave stems from the previous administration under Cullen's leadership.

As far as I know, the current one has been proactive in getting one of the best talent scouts in the business (Pinky), launched the Logan Academy, and has tried and partially succeeded to get some of the best to the club in Barba, Milford, Kennedy, DCE and Smith.

Again, the succession plan has nothing to do with the current administration, yet they are the ones copping it, because I guess people expect miracle fixes...

Although the above has had a trickle down effect, our biggest issues by far are coaching related. No superstar is going to make a difference to this team, when it defends like they did in Dunedin!

and the the current administration is also responsible for the current coach. The current admin sacked Henjack for a piss poor record and for some reason are accepting the current coach as acceptable. Yes we are missing a quality half but we have had more representative stars (old and current) than any other club in the comp over the past few years and we should be able to hold our own. We have no game plan, so the administration can do all the ground work on Academy development but it's a waste of money whilst we have a terrible coach and a weak administration too scared of sacking the terrible coach.

We are living in a fantasy land if we think an academy will fix us.

Trent Robinson or Bellamy would make this team a success. Griffin has alway been to much of a coward to sack a player. It took him more than half a season to ditch Norman and then Prince for bad form.

We should have paid $$$ for Tomkins. What ever the transfer fee was, it would have been less than paying out Griffins contract.

Besides, I really don't think he's as good as people seem to believe. He was made to look better in the ESL, but I doubt he'll be that good in the NRL.
:laugh: I think he'll make you eat your words

Same as ....so and so was nothing in the Qcup. So and so couldn't crack it in Fogs ....ISC....whatever!!

Someone saw something enough in these players to take a punt on them. Being a talent scout IMO isn't about judging the bleeding obvious....it's about looking through the rough exterior and being able to pick the potential

Yeah.....it's a bit of crystal ball stuff. Not easy to do.

But ....some seem to be able to do it a hell of a lot better than us.

Nearly every single one of those examples was blind luck or cards falling into place- Billy Slater knocks on your door and asks for a game- how much credit can you take for finding him? Hogkinson leaves and you're left with your ISC half who you were trying to sell off- so you give him a try. Sign a 12 year old kid from Peter Claver, Cronk doesn't give up after one failed off-season try out.

They could of all gone the other way and never even be a story. If Reddy didn't have Perry and Roberts or If Slater doesn't say I am a half- he's problably at Reddy and on the Broncos' door step now.

In regards to Munster, he came down to the broncos well before his ISC and rookie year. Problem was when he came to a training session hook didn't give him the time of day. He may have never actually been on an official contract, but here is a kid who was in the heartland of broncos territory ( rockhampton) and was clearly over sighted fro some reason. No wonder he didn't sign with them last year.

Mbye may have ended up in the titans developmnent system, but not before his services were offered to the broncos.

DCE played 20's for manly and they sent to the ISC to gain more valuable experience in a tougher competition, and from memory he was the best player by a country mile.

Storm over looked him till last year too- he signed with them.

DCE had a great year in ISC- doesn't change the fact Manly didn't know what they had and offered to sell him on until Hogdkinson was gone. He was the plan b and the cards fell pretty well for Manly.

Oh man, Maguire and Robinson have done absolutely nothing to prove they're good coaches except acquire teams that should be winning premierships.

Oh man, Maguire and Robinson have done absolutely nothing to prove they're good coaches except acquire teams that should be winning premierships.

Lol, they havent done much to prove they arent good coaches either.

Team struggles = must be the coach. Team goes good = must be the players.

and the the current administration is also responsible for the current coach. The current admin sacked Henjack for a piss poor record and for some reason are accepting the current coach as acceptable. Yes we are missing a quality half but we have had more representative stars (old and current) than any other club in the comp over the past few years and we should be able to hold our own. We have no game plan, so the administration can do all the ground work on Academy development but it's a waste of money whilst we have a terrible coach and a weak administration too scared of sacking the terrible coach.

We are living in a fantasy land if we think an academy will fix us.

Trent Robinson or Bellamy would make this team a success. Griffin has alway been to much of a coward to sack a player. It took him more than half a season to ditch Norman and then Prince for bad form.

We should have paid $$$ for Tomkins. What ever the transfer fee was, it would have been less than paying out Griffins contract.
I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about recruitment and players missed, not the coach. I must be seeing things...

Last time I checked, I agreed about the Broncos having a coaching problem, but what does it serve to continuously dish out the same song, when there is no real solution for the issue out there. Do you have a solution, or you just use BHQ to whinge?

:laugh: I think he'll make you eat your words
I'll be here to acknowledge that if and when that happens, unlike some people who suddenly disappeared when the Broncos reached the 9's final...

You are so ridiculous wrong about Maguire. They finished 10th the year before he took over and his halves options were John Sutton and this rookie kid named Reynolds. At the time Sutton was pretty maligned and you'd have been laughed at if you said he was an origin chance.

Notable names he had were Inglis, Dave Taylor, Sam Burgess and Issac Luke, but I don't really see how that qualifies them as a team that should be winning premiership. You're way, way off base.

What year are Glenn, Gillett, Hunt & Hannant signed until? I don't think I'm being over-dramatic when I say we could easily lose all 4 of them, and not lose a whole lot, imagine how much cap room we'd have if we let them walk, enough to sign Cherry-Evans with an absolutely huge offer.

(Hypothetically)

1. Barba
2. _______
3. _______
4. Hodges (c)
5. _______
6. Milford
7. Cherry-Evans
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Kennedy
11. Oates
12. Thaiday
13. Parker (c)

14. _______
15. _______
16. _______
17. _______

I'll leave the left wing, left centre, right wing & bench without names, as it's too hard to predict at this stage who will be there in a couple of years time, I can't see Hoffman sticking around, and I'm not 100% sold on Reed & Copley being the future just yet.

You don't think he is miles better than any half we have at the club this year?

Yeah, I kinda agree Unbreakable.

Glenn is off contract at the end of next year, Gillett the one after I think. I'm not impressed with either at the moment. Gillett is more of a ballet dancer who can't tackle, and Glenn is a fat ballet dancer in training.

Hunt signed for two years, so he's off contract at the same time as Glenn. I can't see him being particularly expensive or wanted if he keeps playing like he has though.

Hannant is the most likely of leaving IMO, he's from the Gold Coast anyway, and I can see them signing him to replace Bailey.

I'm sorry, I thought this thread was about recruitment and players missed, not the coach. I must be seeing things...

Last time I checked, I agreed about the Broncos having a coaching problem, but what does it serve to continuously dish out the same song, when there is no real solution for the issue out there. Do you have a solution, or you just use BHQ to whinge?

I'll be here to acknowledge that if and when that happens, unlike some people who suddenly disappeared when the Broncos reached the 9's final...

The sooner you realize you are wrong and he is right, even when you agree the better. That goes for everybody. You're all wrong, always!

You are so ridiculous wrong about Maguire. They finished 10th the year before he took over and his halves options were John Sutton and this rookie kid named Reynolds. At the time Sutton was pretty maligned and you'd have been laughed at if you said he was an origin chance.

Notable names he had were Inglis, Dave Taylor, Sam Burgess and Issac Luke, but I don't really see how that qualifies them as a team that should be winning premiership. You're way, way off base.

Yeah you're right, having those players who were amazing before Maguire don't help at all.

The sooner you realize you are wrong and he is right, even when you agree the better. That goes for everybody. You're all wrong, always!
viewpoints

Weren't u tipping the Broncos to win the comp the other day? Weren't u the one blaming the refs for yesterdays loss? It is quite alright to have viewpoints but your's changes by the hour.

Bellamy, Maguire and Robinson are all nuffies guys geez don't you see it?

It's all the refs fault.. and the nswrl and.. things.

Griffin is a genius - just give him more time! the players are to blame!!

How I imagine Cult at a game when we're getting toweled up:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah you're right, having those players who were amazing before Maguire don't help at all.

They helped sure, but having them in no way means you should be winning premierships. Griffin currently has Barba (Dally M medallist), Hannant, Thaiday, Parker and Gillett. Easily just as much as Maguire had to work with back then.

I've seen some rumours circulating on twitter, that Souths are trying to offload Reynolds and the GI is unhappy with the Burgess clan. Anyone think Reynolds would be a good pickup. He would come a lot cheaper than DCE, who looks unlikely to leave Manly. Off course assuming the rumours are true.

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Organix
  • Spike
  • Rowdy124
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.