OFFICIAL Broncos release Andrew McCullough

Yeah? A player option that was negotiated to persist through a release to another club. Something that Seibold and White would've had to sign off on. Something that nobody that knows what they're doing would ever do.
Incorrect... Kahu signed a 3 year deal in 2017 ('18, '19 & '20)

I'm not 100% sure about whether the coach gets a say, but those ridiculous half release deals were mind-bogglingly stupid. If the player wants a release then just release them, it's hard to believe our fiduciarily responsible CEO thinks player options are so amazing that he wants to put them in releases too.
I don't think they wanted a release... I'd say they just weren't in the plans and no one was willing to take them off our hands.

So because they weren't getting any game time I think it was decided to send them to a team where they would get a chance to play with the hope some other team would pick them up... it's either that or you leave them hanging around the club doing nothing and wear their contract until it expires.

If they have a shit attitude it can also lead to a toxic playing environment.

Incorrect... Kahu signed a 3 year deal in 2017 ('18, '19 & '20)

What?...

Nothing I said was incorrect. His release and the terms of his release were negotiated well after Seibold had arrived. That includes the part of the release that stipulated Kahu was able to return to the Broncos on his original $450K salary if the Cowboys decided they didn't want to keep him.

I don't think they wanted a release... I'd say they just weren't in the plans and no one was willing to take them off our hands.

So because they weren't getting any game time I think it was decided to send them to a team where they would get a chance to play with the hope some other team would pick them up... it's either that or you leave them hanging around the club doing nothing and wear their contract until it expires.

If they have a shit attitude it can also lead to a toxic playing environment.
Yep that would be shit if we developed one of those

The 2020 option for Kahu was already in his contract.

It's also been revealed by people that work for the club that he isn't on the reported figure.

The 2020 option for Kahu was already in his contract.

It's also been revealed by people that work for the club that he isn't on the reported figure.

Don't know how else to say this, people are having a hard time wrapping their heads around it..

Even if Kahu had a player option already in his contract, the administrators at the Broncos would have had to negotiate an arrangement with the Cowboys that if he got injured or didn't work out for them and couldn't find a new deal elsewhere, he was able to come back to Brisbane and rehabilitate on several hundred thousand dollars per year.

That is some of the worst administrative work you'll ever see in our game, especially given Kahu's injury history and the likelihood at the time that his contract would come back to haunt us. The fact that White or whoever did the negotiation with the Cowboys wasn't able to have that player option scrubbed is absolutely laughable. ESPECIALLY considering we had all of the leverage in the negotiations, the Cowboys were absolutely desperate for a Fullback after the Barba drama. How the **** weren't we able to negotiate that the Cowboys take on his year in 2019 AND the player option in 2020. In what world is that just not complete ineptitude?

@Unbreakable I don't think he has an option for 2021

At this point we might need average because everyone else at the club is well below ordinary

No question there from me. I’ve been pointing out how over-rated our squad is for a while now and I usually get howled down about it.

We’re ‘told’ they’re stars? By who? Imbeciles like Badel? Lots of people are on the hype train manufactured by the Courier Fail about our ‘stars’ yet they did nothing under Wayne leading directly to his sacking and that trend has continued downwards under a new coach...

I don’t think Seibs is the answer but there is no guarantee we perform any better with anyone else.

Hence why I believe we need a virtual complete clean out of our club. Admin, coaching and playing groups.

I think we have lost our way so much that no-one much in our club is capable of understanding how much needs to be done to catch up to the teams at the pointy end of the comp. We have a facade of professionalism based on what our resources are able to buy, but that‘s where it ends as well.

Last edited:
Don't know how else to say this, people are having a hard time wrapping their heads around it..

Even if Kahu had a player option already in his contract, the administrators at the Broncos would have had to negotiate an arrangement with the Cowboys that if he got injured or didn't work out for them and couldn't find a new deal elsewhere, he was able to come back to Brisbane and rehabilitate on several hundred thousand dollars per year.

That is some of the worst administrative work you'll ever see in our game, especially given Kahu's injury history and the likelihood at the time that his contract would come back to haunt us. The fact that White or whoever did the negotiation with the Cowboys wasn't able to have that player option scrubbed is absolutely laughable. ESPECIALLY considering we had all of the leverage in the negotiations, the Cowboys were absolutely desperate for a Fullback after the Barba drama. How the **** weren't we able to negotiate that the Cowboys take on his year in 2019 AND the player option in 2020. In what world is that just not complete ineptitude?

I disagree, what we are failing to see is that it was a loan. Something we are not use to seeing in the NRL but is common in other codes. The Loan contract would have stipulated that it was potentially for the duration of the remaining contract or if the player does not work out or gets injured the primary contract is reactivated. It freed up cash for a year but did not work out in favor of the Broncos, but it was likely the only way Kahu or the Cowboys would have considered the idea, due to the fact the Kahus primary contract was absolutely stupid in the overs we paid and the Cowboys would have been hesitant to take it up fully with the risks involved regarding Kahus injury history.

Its not Siebs fault that the original contract was paying Kahu something close to 600k. A price tag he would not have been offered or given at any other club. He is 300-350k max in my opinion based on his extensive time on the sideline and lack of speed for a high end winger.

Its not Siebs fault that the original contract was paying Kahu something close to 600k. A price tag he would not have been offered or given at any other club. He is 300-350k max in my opinion based on his extensive time on the sideline and lack of speed for a high end winger.
Never heard that anywhere before. Closer to 400k. Still overs though

Never heard that anywhere before. Closer to 400k. Still overs though
Fairly sure the last year was in the 500k area. Could be wrong but yeah still overs as my 300-350 based of memory of 2017 form is still likely overs.

I disagree, what we are failing to see is that it was a loan. Something we are not use to seeing in the NRL but is common in other codes. The Loan contract would have stipulated that it was potentially for the duration of the remaining contract or if the player does not work out or gets injured the primary contract is reactivated. It freed up cash for a year but did not work out in favor of the Broncos, but it was likely the only way Kahu or the Cowboys would have considered the idea, due to the fact the Kahus primary contract was absolutely stupid in the overs we paid and the Cowboys would have been hesitant to take it up fully with the risks involved regarding Kahus injury history.

So you essentially just agreed with my point but re-worded the argument.

Yes, they negotiated a loan deal. No, they shouldn't have negotiated a loan deal. Between discussions with Kahu and the Cowboys and the complete leverage we had over both parties we SHOULD have been able to rid ourselves of the entire contract. Whether that was via the entire contract heading to the Cowboys, Kahu formally agreeing to not pick up the player option if we release him and give him an opportunity to start for another NRL club (Which he certainly wasn't doing here) or at absolute worst, agree to pay a small portion of his salary for this season to ensure he doesn't come back on our books and completely waste a top 30 spot and massive chunk of cap space.

McCullough underwent surgery today to reattach his hamstring tendons, he'll be out for 4 months.

If you thought Macca was slow before the injury, wait until you see him in 2021!

McCullough underwent surgery today to reattach his hamstring tendons, he'll be out for 4 months.

If you thought Macca was slow before the injury, wait until you see him in 2021!
But he'll be well rested!

So you essentially just agreed with my point but re-worded the argument.

Yes, they negotiated a loan deal. No, they shouldn't have negotiated a loan deal. Between discussions with Kahu and the Cowboys and the complete leverage we had over both parties we SHOULD have been able to rid ourselves of the entire contract. Whether that was via the entire contract heading to the Cowboys, Kahu formally agreeing to not pick up the player option if we release him and give him an opportunity to start for another NRL club (Which he certainly wasn't doing here) or at absolute worst, agree to pay a small portion of his salary for this season to ensure he doesn't come back on our books and completely waste a top 30 spot and massive chunk of cap space.

I am agreeing with the overall idea of the Kahu move. I actually think it was worth a try, the Broncos thought they could offload him but the only takers did not want to fully take on the burden. If it all worked out nobody would be the wiser that it was a loan deal. I see the original contract as the burden not the loan, the loan also got him off the books for a year and had the potential of the getting him off this year too and there was actually no risk in it for us. It was either keep him for two or potentially only have to pay him for one or none of the final years.

Last edited:

Any chance Newcastle will pick him up for 2021 even on a subsidised deal?

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • broncos4life
  • Morkel
  • TimWhatley
  • marw
  • Skathen
  • Wolfie
  • ettybay
  • Broncosgirl
  • Jazza
  • Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  • Astro
  • kman
  • Mr Fourex
  • Manofoneway
  • Fatboy
  • bb_gun
  • Foordy
  • sooticus
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.