Broncos remain NRL's cleanest club

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
I don't care at all about the earnings of the players. The Broncos are my club, will be my club and no amount of wrong doing will make a scrap of difference to me. For me, most will have no prior knowledge of any misdemeanours because no one shared the information with them. They are not guilty as far as I'm concerned and are not guilty by association either. As usual I will wait for the evidence and then take a considered view of same. My club usually set a high standard for themselves and I'd be very surprised if we have a major problem.

agree with all of this.

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
also just because its being investigated doesnt mean that any wrong doing has taken place. there going to be going through everyones contracts even lockyers on his last years thats what happens when theres concerns a club has cheated the cap. so yes its ok to be worried but i hope no bronco fan reading it all takes it to seriously yet. biggest problem is i can see this taking a few months to finally get sorted wich is probably gonna hurt the most even if it turns out there wasnt any wrong doing

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
If we're lucky, it will just be that Gee has verbally promised certain things to certain players / player managers (eg, guaranteeing third party deals) but it was never in the contracts. The player manager has chucked up a stink because one of those 3rd parties fell through, the club doesn't pay up, threatens the club that they'll go public. So the club sacks Gee for being suck a fuckwit and promising things that are against the rules, and opens its books up to the NRL to say that they've never guaranteed those deals in writing so they've never broken the rules.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Not a Paul Kent fan but interesting to hear that whispers in the corridors of power say phone taps have involved another club in salary cap discrepancies

Error Page

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Assuming this all related to recent signings, would it really be so bad for us if we are 'forced' to release Barba and Kennedy because of all of this? It's not like they have done much to change our position on the field this year, and it would mean that we can go after other quality players (DCE/ Khunt) after we've cleaned out some other passengers. Khunt/ Milf at 1 or DCE/ Milf/ Hunt in the six/seven looks far better than Barba post his Griffining. If this does turn sour to the point where we have to release players then it would surely be the death knell for Griffin.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
Assuming this all related to recent signings, would it really be so bad for us if we are 'forced' to release Barba and Kennedy because of all of this? It's not like they have done much to change our position on the field this year, and it would mean that we can go after other quality players (DCE/ Khunt) after we've cleaned out some other passengers. Khunt/ Milf at 1 or DCE/ Milf/ Hunt in the six/seven looks far better than Barba post his Griffining. If this does turn sour to the point where we have to release players then it would surely be the death knell for Griffin.

On current form i would agree Barba and Kennedy going would be better for the club. Don't forget Bennett likes Griffin so if he is coming back he may want Griffin kept as coach under him. It was Bennett who brought him to the club from my recollection to coach the U20s.
Griffin needs a tactician in the Neil Henry mode under him as assistant coach.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Not a Paul Kent fan but interesting to hear that whispers in the corridors of power say phone taps have involved another club in salary cap discrepancies

Error Page

The Broncos are keenly interested in Cherry-Evans but the thoroughness of the NRL’s investigation into recent allegations of salary cap rorting could impact on Brisbane’s ability to recruit him.

It leaves Cherry-Evans in a bind.

He is on the outs with his Manly teammates, who believe they have lost Glenn Stewart because salary cap money is being stockpiled to re-sign Cherry-Evans, who they believe is heading to Brisbane in 2016 anyway.

Hmmmm....

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
bit surprised Cherry-Evans is still in the picture .. If there's one position the broncos look to have fairly well covered for the next few years, it's halfback ... Obviously a lot can happen / change in the next season and a half but the way Hunt is currently tracking, the broncos would get more bang for their salary cap buck by going hard at some other some key positions around Hunt imo.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I can't understand how some people would dump this great Club and stop supporting them because of this. Just because we have a few peanuts running the club at the moment doesn't mean you just stop loving the club that has given you so much joy over the years.

For me I think we just fix this. Get rid of the responsible parties and move on. And if they could take Mr Griffin with them that would be great. 

The Broncos are a big part of my life and although I don't agree with who's coaching or some of the selection/recruiting over the past few years. Doesn't mean I would give up on them and throw them away like a dirty rag. If you love a club, You don'thave a choice.....You take the good days and the bad days IMO..

Rant over. Bring on Manly 

B4L said this was well said. It's not at all. You have completely missed the point. I would never dump this club for any performance reason, or who the coach is. I have proven over the years that I'm a very passionate fan. It all comes down to ethics and morals for me.

I have spent a lot of time hating Melbourne over the way they cheated the league. It was so bad, they should have gone to jail. If the Broncos have done the same thing, I just can't support that.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
DCE won't be out of the picture until he re-signs with Manly imo, although I'm not entirely sure where everyone will play if it does somehow happen.

1. Milford
6. Hunt
7. Cherry-Evans
9. McCullough

Barba in the centres maybe? He'd probably have to bulk up even more, and work extremely hard on his defense.

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
bit surprised Cherry-Evans is still in the picture .. If there's one position the broncos look to have fairly well covered for the next few years, it's halfback ... Obviously a lot can happen / change in the next season and a half but the way Hunt is currently tracking, the broncos would get more bang for their salary cap buck by going hard at some other some key positions around Hunt imo.

Hunt plays more like a six though with his excellent running game. Having someone like DCE around him to take pressure off of him will only help with his kicking game imo.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
DCE won't be out of the picture until he re-signs with Manly imo, although I'm not entirely sure where everyone will play if it does somehow happen.

1. Milford
6. Hunt
7. Cherry-Evans
9. McCullough

Barba in the centres maybe? He'd probably have to bulk up even more, and work extremely hard on his defense.

Forget Barba. What happens with Taylor. Paia'aua, and J Nikorima

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
B4L said this was well said. It's not at all. You have completely missed the point. I would never dump this club for any performance reason, or who the coach is. I have proven over the years that I'm a very passionate fan. It all comes down to ethics and morals for me.

I have spent a lot of time hating Melbourne over the way they cheated the league. It was so bad, they should have gone to jail. If the Broncos have done the same thing, I just can't support that.
Who do you blame and hate though, H/O, the players, if H/O then still support the players, if you blame and hate both H/O and players I hope you don't cheer for Qld.

If Raiders were done like the Storm I'd be pissed etc but they'd still be my club.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Who do you blame and hate though, H/O, the players, if H/O then still support the players, if you blame and hate both H/O and players I hope you don't cheer for Qld.

If Raiders were done like the Storm I'd be pissed etc but they'd still be my club.

Well said

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

If Raiders were done like the Storm I'd be ****ed etc but they'd still be my club.

Your club has been done like the Storm. Just happened in the infancy of the cap and a long time ago.

M

Manbush

QCup Player
Aug 5, 2013
Your club has been done like the Storm. Just happened in the infancy of the cap and a long time ago.
Wasn't systematic rorting or multiple books though, from memory more a case of rep bonuses exceeding their expectations.

by the way mate if you are tied to the club you should've liked that post, here I am encouraging fans to stick by the Broncos no matter what instead of going for the troll etc.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.