Broncos remain NRL's cleanest club

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
I really do not understand what this has to do with the salary cap?! I don't understand at all. If a club owes third party deals to a player what's that got to do with the salary cap. I always hear of players not getting paid wasn't dce and groan not getting paid that's why there were rumours of them leaving.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I really do not understand what this has to do with the salary cap?! I don't understand at all. If a club owes third party deals to a player what's that got to do with the salary cap. I always hear of players not getting paid wasn't dce and groan not getting paid that's why there were rumours of them leaving.

the problem is if the club guarantees the third party agreement then it must be included under the salary cap, which is the rumoured problem with us...

IN DCE and Boyds case, the club did not guarantee the TPA, so are not responsible if it doesn't get paid (and it doesn't have to be included under the cap)

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Clubs can guarantee third party payments under the marquee player allowance which is limited to $600k total for top 25 players, so manly could guarantee to pay dce a contract value that includes third party arrangements with club sponsors under the marquee player allowance. Dce can also organise, independently of the club, an unlimited number of arms length agreements with third party's, but these payments cannot be guaranteed by the club as the club should have nothing to do with them, so if they were to fall through the player has no recourse with the club.

Last edited:
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Love the attitude from Josh McGuire in that article.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
maybe the leagues club has been paying player/(s). Either way I was initially not too concerned. now it's sounding like it may be systematic.
The important thing to realise is even if players were paid under the table if those payments were above board I'm almost 100% confident we would still be under tha cap. it's not like we've cheated as far as exceeding the total cap moreso that our cap doesn't accurately reflect as much as it should.

Russell Coight

Russell Coight

QCup Player
Jul 10, 2013
maybe the leagues club has been paying player/(s). Either way I was initially not too concerned. now it's sounding like it may be systematic.
The important thing to realise is even if players were paid under the table if those payments were above board I'm almost 100% confident we would still be under tha cap. it's not like we've cheated as far as exceeding the total cap moreso that our cap doesn't accurately reflect as much as it should.

Even if that is the case, its still cheating, and no better than what the storm dogs etc have done in the past.

MaroubraBroncos

MaroubraBroncos

QCup Player
Oct 15, 2013
Even if that is the case, its still cheating, and no better than what the storm dogs etc have done in the past.

Quite sad if it's true considering how the team has gone the last few years. Would be like having the answer's for a multiple choice exam and struggling to pass!

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
In fact it would be the ultimate example of administrative ineptitude of the highest order if they have cheated and wound up with this roster. For that degree of stupidity they all would deserve sacking (let alone the cheating if it is substantiated). I don't know if I place the same degree of significance to the extension of the investigation. I would think that if there is a sniff of impropriety that the auditors are obligated to go through the entire organisation with a fine toothed comb.

I am glad they are doing it, if we get cleared it is better if that occurs as a result of an all encompassing investigation. If somebody has been doing the wrong thing, then they need to be identified and the issue addressed.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Leagues Club which is separate to the football club but does provide a grant has started an internal investigation. It has also said it'll comply with any NRL requests regarding books, even though they don't have to. They've also denied ever paying players or managers.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
At the end of the day, cheating is cheating. I hope we're cleared of any serious wrong doing but as much as it hurts me to say, I can't support cheats and if were found to have breached the rules I can't support this club.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
At the end of the day, cheating is cheating. I hope we're cleared of any serious wrong doing but as much as it hurts me to say, I can't support cheats and if were found to have breached the rules I can't support this club.

Then find another code. Every team breaches the rules, the only difference is if they get caught and the extent

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I don't think this is going to be deliberate cheating by the Broncos. More than likely a bit of a **** up by Gee which will get us in some strife.

In saying that. It could be an oversight on behalf of the legal team looking over these contracts in the club, and the departure of Gee is just coincidental, and the worst timing ever.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Then find another code. Every team breaches the rules, the only difference is if they get caught and the extent
Exactly this. Every single NRL club has been found to breach the salary cap and fined for it. Some worse than others of course.

The club is bigger than any individual, and if someone is guilty of dodgy acts, throw the book at him, cop whatever the club needs to cop, and move on to bigger and better things.

Fans from other clubs can do and say what they want, but glass ceiling and all that...

Active Now

• barker
  • Sproj
  • bb_gun
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.