Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pearce potentially to be released / moved on from Knights after this latest saga.
Not a spring chicken anymore and would likely want big money, plus stand in the way of Dearden... but he's a solid club level playmaker... worth considering?

Pearce potentially to be released / moved on from Knights after this latest saga.
Not a spring chicken anymore and would likely want big money, plus stand in the way of Dearden... but he's a solid club level playmaker... worth considering?
Nah, if he’s a decent bloke he’s done a great job of publicly portraying the opposite and he has proven himself unable to deliver when it comes to big games. Plus his defence last season (which is apparently one of his strong points) was bronco level.

Last edited:
I'm reluctant to let coates walk, but should it pass that he signs with them an early release both ways works.
Melbourne are willing to let B Smith go early if they get a decent replacement in 2022, not next season. I think if C Smith leaves Melbourne they would be stupid to also let B Smith walk early. It would completely desolate their hooker depth and rely way to heavily on a very green hooker to play 80 mins every game.

JAC is still there next year so they aren’t desperate for wingers, and if they sign Coates now they can wait until 2022 season and not have to give us anything because B Smith will still be contracted and Coates won’t.

who is advising this kid..? What if he suffers a setback in rehab...what if its a bad setback...? Now he has ZERO leverage when negotiating a contract.....thats a large and seemingly unnecessary risk to be taking in my eyes...
It’s his manager... you’d be surprised how manipulative those managers are that make the players feel helpless... most players just want to sign the deal and get paid but managers try and do whatever they can to allow for a potential increase in price not for the players benefit but for their juicy commission

I've been saying it for a while, he is doing exactly what Fifita did. He has no loyalty to the Broncos. I more have issue with blokes like this trying to make out they want to stay while clearly looking elsewhere. Id have more respect if they just said they want to explore their options to set themselves up finacially. At least we would get some honesty.
Just **** him off now, I’m fucking sick of him already.

Nah, if he’s a decent bloke he’s done a great job of publicly portraying the opposite and he has proven himself unable to deliver when it comes to big games. Plus his defence last season (which is apparently one of his strong points) was bronco level.

Him for Milf and change? We aren’t playing big games any time soon anyway, so does it matter?

Him for Milf and change? We aren’t playing big games any time soon anyway, so does it matter?
I’d prefer Milf personally. Plus Pearce is on a million a year at knights so I doubt they’ll chip in. They’d end up paying over a million for Milford,

Like any 18 year old who works hard at school, farm kids who help out on farm and still train 3 times a week with the team (they are mostly union boys though), people who hold a job and do well. Those who have to balance family and life, non drinkers, and most importantly NOOOOOOOOOO DICKHEADS. Its a five year process (jk) but we need to start with solid teens who know how to work and stay sane while doing it.
Theres the problem....teens who know how to work!!!

The problem is that league families are often not the cream of the crop in terms of parenting. You need to target the kids who grow up in the country and / or kids who have always been talented but not always the best growing up and who have had to work hard to make rep teams because this is where the work ethic is. Those kids that are the biggest, fastest and strongest in their age groups often don’t have the work ethic or humility.
Are you able to expand on “League families are often not the cream of the crop in terms of parenting” it’s a huge statement to make and I’d love to see what you base this supposition on.

Last thing we need culture-wise. He’s carried himself extremely poorly as captain of the knights.

Are you able to expand on “League families are often not the cream of the crop in terms of parenting” it’s a huge statement to make and I’d love to see what you base this supposition on.

They often come from lower economic areas (this does not mean anything necessarily but does tend to lead to lower education levels and options among children, this is a statistical fact based on research in the education field), higher proportion of broken homes, many families have troubled backgrounds, families with parents, siblings with criminal backgrounds, etc. That is not to say this is the case for all families in these demographics, just what statistics and reports I've read internally have shown.

They often come from lower economic areas (this does not mean anything necessarily but does tend to lead to lower education levels and options among children, this is a statistical fact based on research in the education field), higher proportion of broken homes, many families have troubled backgrounds, families with parents, siblings with criminal backgrounds, etc. That is not to say this is the case for all families in these demographics, just what statistics and reports I've read internally have shown.
Sorry mate, i often agree with a lot of your posts but am not with you on this one. I can not see what researching body or what organisation commissioned funding for the study of socio-economic status, education levels, criminal history within the family and how it relates to child participation in rugby league in comparison to other sports, let alone this being of reliable research studies such as systematic reviews and meta-analysis.

Last edited:
FFS... It's not hard to develop a strategy to deal with this.

• Several months BEFORE our player is allowed to start talking to another team, we offer him a competitive, but fair contract based 80% on on-field performance and 20% on potential for a 1-3 year period with NO player options.
  • Explain the reason for size / length the contract.
  • Make sure he's aware of his place in the team and in the Broncos plans moving forward.
  • Show him the countless examples of the Broncos players who have left young chasing $$$ from desperate clubs and thrown away their whole careers.
  • Tell him that it will be the only offer and he has 2 months to re-sign.
  • Make him aware that if he chooses to begin dialogue with any other clubs, then the Broncos offer will be pulled and he can choose from any remaining teams vying for his signature, but the Broncos will not be one of them.
We are far too content to let our star players meet with, chat to and engage with rival clubs and for some reason refuse to lock these players up BEFORE they even have the opportunity. This is EXACTLY how we lost Fifita - who we could have retained on reasonable money had we bothered to sign him up before we gave the Titans the chance to throw ridiculous money at him.

Look at the Roosters with Luke Keary... he was able to talk to clubs from November. Arguably the number one playmaker and half in the game let alone on the market - Big surprise... it's not even June and the roosters have re-signed him on a multi-year deal before any clubs even have the opportunity to make their case.

Lock up your talent BEFORE you allow a market to develop and have to compete in a bidding war. Play hardball, stand your ground and take away the option for players to shop themselves around without any consequence... all we are doing is opening up the opportunity for other teams to overpay and poach our talent. How can our organisation not understand this... it's been going on far too long.

And when the player manager prompts his player to go to the supreme court citing restriction of trade .
What`s plan B ?

Sorry mate, i often agree with a lot of your posts but am not with you on this one. I can not see what researching body or what organisation commissioned funding for the study of socio-economic status, education levels, criminal history within the family and how it relates to child participation in rugby league in comparison to other sports, let alone this being of reliable research studies such as systematic reviews and meta-analysis.

And how that translates into determining the cream of the crop of parents.

And how that translates into determining the cream of the crop of parents.

Hey, I am just reporting on what I've seen. That said, if there are higher instances of crimes and broken homes, etc isn't it pretty self explanatory that this likely isn't the best parenting going around?

Regardless, I am happy for anyone to disregard the post, it isn't meant to be a slight on lower economic backgrounds, I also come from one.

And when the player manager prompts his player to go to the supreme court citing restriction of trade .
What`s plan B ?
Yeah you don’t tell them they can’t speak to other teams. You simply say you are welcome to explore the open market, however be aware that the offer at this club expires a week before the pre-season starts and that players who are signed beyond the current season will be given preference for first grade as their development benefits the club.

Yeh Sproj like most on here I do thoroughly enjoy your input to the boards. In this case I’d venture to say you’re talking through your arse. I’m happy to leave it though and move on as I’m quite certain you meant nothing by it. It was just the initial reading of it jarred heavily with me yesterday and I had to say somethin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Hurrijo
  • Griffo
  • Mustafur
  • Wild Horse
  • MrRobot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.