Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
They often come from lower economic areas (this does not mean anything necessarily but does tend to lead to lower education levels and options among children, this is a statistical fact based on research in the education field), higher proportion of broken homes, many families have troubled backgrounds, families with parents, siblings with criminal backgrounds, etc. That is not to say this is the case for all families in these demographics, just what statistics and reports I've read internally have shown.
Followed junior league back when my sons played. Have nothing concrete to back this up but my own casual observations, but I tend to agree with Sproj. My daughter placed soccer at the same time, difference was noticeable.

Last edited:
With employment I have learned the wisdom in employing for character and attitude, and training for skill. That works so much better than just trying to identify skill and talent, which is somewhat tempting and easy to do.

Now for elite sport you might not have that luxury always, but it's a solid rule to follow still and I think many rugby league employers could benefit from following this rule.

All good in theory but it isn’t in reality. We currently have those kids who we can give the chances to and they mostly seem to want to leave. We are coming of a wooden spoon under a terribly run management, a likeable but unproven coach and already having to pay overs to recruit or retain players because we are overexposed into the media.

Bennett was always a drawcard and was able to shield the players to an extent, even if his coaching had seemingly been left behind somewhat. We now no longer have a massive drawcard to play at the club other than facilities. What we do have is a wooden spoon, players telling the media they want to leave, players in the media meeting rival clubs, players crying on the field, disharmony and massive pressure on an overpaid, woefully underperforming side.

We are also paying a considerable chunk of our salary cap to players and a coach playing and coaching somewhere else. This club is the definition of a shambles and other than inflated salaries, there is nothing else to entice quality players to the club.

I know it is a negative view and I don’t want to have this view but it is the current reality of the situation and no amount of a poster telling us it isn’t all doom and gloom will change this until ACTUAL change happens.

We’ve been told there is a new CEO incoming and who he is but until he is announced and at the club, it is still just status quo. We have a current CEO who is on Cullen levels of incompetence who just won’t leave. We have a coach who is preaching unity while kicking out a player/s, we have young guys wanting out, we have senior players who are worse than unproven young guys. We have a captain who apparently is one of the biggest problems with cliques and we have an injured unwanted player returning on big money for a second year in a row.

What is there to be excited about? Another Milf is the fittest Eva story? Another the club is training the house down story? Another Alex Glenn wants to win a premiership before retiring feel good piece? Another this is a new page in the club story? Dale Copley? John Asiata?

It is understandable fans like me feel disillusioned and good on those of you who can see past the doom and gloom, you are seeing something the current facts do not allude to until something other than rumour and hearsay happens.

Also, we have the guy we targeted as coach again embarrassing us by trying to entice one of our best prospects away...again. The club is a deadset embarrassment.
Have a few to many of whatever it is you drink tonight Sproj, 2021 tomorrow, if you wake up with nothing more then a headache and the world is still in one piece, its a good day and the Broncos 2021 version will be much better then the 2020 version, Kevin Walters will bring some balance and a semblance of order and humility back to the place, particularly with Henry and Cartwright as sounding boards.
Happy New Year to all on the site.

They are out there, we need to rebuild the R&R team and look for others apart from listening to players managers and trying to find discards from other teams. If your to shit to be part of the Tigers why are we even wasting our time talking to you. Yes we will see some of these youngsters sign elsewhere, but if the focus is on attitude more so than raw talent, we will get worthwhile people, who we can mould at training. Why aren't we looking at Roma, Emerald, Rockhampton, Toowoomba, and other regional places. Who cares about catchment and feeder clubs, if there is a great young player playing for Gatton Hawks, snap him up if he has those qualities.
On Oates, he was awesome, we all loved him. But he allowed those close to him to inflate his ego and now he is to busy kicking stones to see that he can be that awesome player again if he listens to those who can see his flaws and weaknesses and he works on them, not papering over them by having a shit centre who doesn't feed him GOOD ball.
Geez we miss Cyril Connel Jnr

Courtesy of Wikipedia
In 1990, Connell was chosen by Brisbane Broncos founding chairman, Paul Morgan, to be a recruitment officer for the Broncos. Connell found countless young players for the Broncos, notably including Shane Webcke, Tonie Carroll, Petero Civoniceva, Darren Lockyer, Wendell Sailor, Lote Tuqiri, Shaun Berrigan, Brent Tate and Karmichael Hunt, all of whom represented Queensland at State of Origin level.

In 2007, the main training facility for the Brisbane Broncos, the Cyril Connell High Performance Centre, was named after him due to his years of service to the club. He died in 2009.[4]

Pearce potentially to be released / moved on from Knights after this latest saga.
Not a spring chicken anymore and would likely want big money, plus stand in the way of Dearden... but he's a solid club level playmaker... worth considering?
Mostly like your posts Harry, but we don't need a guy that I would feel uncomfortable introducing my Cocker Spaniel bitch to, sorry Harry but its a NO from me.

Have a few to many of whatever it is you drink tonight Sproj, 2021 tomorrow, if you wake up with nothing more then a headache and the world is still in one piece, its a good day and the Broncos 2021 version will be much better then the 2020 version, Kevin Walters will bring some balance and a semblance of order and humility back to the place, particularly with Henry and Cartwright as sounding boards.
Happy New Year to all on the site.
Is Henry confirmed to have a role? I’d be much more optimistic about 2021 if he was.

Last edited:
Is Henry confirmed to have a role? I’d be much more optimistic about 2021 if he was.
I thought he had been but I will stand corrected, according to their website both Terry Matterson and John Cartwright are starters, apologies if I got your hopes up and I got it wrong

They often come from lower economic areas (this does not mean anything necessarily but does tend to lead to lower education levels and options among children, this is a statistical fact based on research in the education field), higher proportion of broken homes, many families have troubled backgrounds, families with parents, siblings with criminal backgrounds, etc. That is not to say this is the case for all families in these demographics, just what statistics and reports I've read internally have shown.
They need to go after more of the union private school kids that have half a brain and don't have half their family in jail.

Some of the best players in the comp are union background, it's surprising we don't go after more of them.

Honestly I partly think that all of the recruitment officers are just lazy. I mean it honestly feels like our ones haven't gone anywhere more than a 60 minute drive away for our youth development.

A lot more money should be spent on going to other countries and just picking up athletes.

Get some good athletes that are 16/17 and teach them the game for 2-3 years, especially for outside backs.

I'd love to know how many, if any, overseas trips our recruitment team do. Hell, hold an NRL Combine type thing where anyone can enter, do it on the same weekend as the 9s or something and then on the last day have the best 30 from the combine have a 15 a side game or something.

I just think it feels like 95% of league players come from the same circles and there's probably a bunch of better people out there.

So what's the point then???
At least Milf has upside, potentially, for the team.
I'd rather see where Kev can take Milf than punt on Pearce
If we were the Broncos of old I'd consider Pearce. But given our current culture problems he is a definite stay away for me

Ol Wayne won't even cop shit hair cuts let alone shit people
C448CF62 814D 48EB 9770 A0084A773187

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• barker
  • bert_lifts
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Alec
  • Porthoz
  • Johnny92
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Lozza
  • lynx000
  • Pablo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.