Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its not old, but people cant keep banging on about what he is potentially capable of anymore. Feels like every year he is apparently in the best condition he has ever been in and we are going to see him back to his old self. Sounds like the Dave Taylor argument all over again. He has the ability, he just doesnt perform to that ability. Should be a top line player but just isnt. I'd love to see him back to his very best but i'm not sure we ever will now.
He has the skill set to dominate, he has the physical assets to dominate (when he is properly conditioned), he does not have the mindset, and at 27 I am afraid the ship has sailed, he is the very definition of Fifita's comfortable footy. Even if he were to come out and have an absolute brilliant start to the season, that just casts further question marks over his application in my view. I would only be offering a one year contract at a much reduced rate. Until he puts together back to back (and even to back) years, I would not consider a long term contract for him.

So a Milford on big money has to succeed or his investment is an indictment on the people who hired him. Meanwhile half a dozen players paid considerably have been discarded and there is barely a mention.
I would suggest it is an indictment on Milford for failing to give value for what he is paid.

Yeah I didn't really think of that, that's definitely a valid option. Keeping Milf around as 6 but at 400k instead of a million, I reckon he's good value at that price.

I wouldnt even bother with Milf unless he absolutely comes out flying. He is 27 this year and the past couple of years he has just been serviceable and had a few injuries. We could get Blake Green to do that job for far less. Agree with @Kimlo $400k tops for him now. We could have pushed the boat out and had a go for Matt Burton instead of sticking with Milf.
I don't think 400k is reasonable. If he's playing well enough to keep he's going to attract more than that, and if he's not playing like a 600+ player he can go elsewhere.

Also I'm not making excuses but look at the state of the entire team the last few years. Milf's generally looked poor when he's been playing off the back foot with our forwards getting rolled and the defensive lines are set, when he's had halves partners who aren't halves, that sort of thing. Not to say we should all forgive him and make sure the next contract is the biggest ever, just if you can find the root causes of poor performance and change them then it's reasonable to expect the performances to improve too.

I'm not defending Milford BTW, I think he's been a fucking disgrace but at 400k, I think he's well and truly worth it. He's not ideal but unless you're the Roosters you can't have a star in every position because there just isn't enough great players out there so we end up in this awkward spot where you either pay on potential or take someone who probably isn't going to reach great heights (Milford) anymore at a reduced salary because you know what you can get and the price is right.
His time is now or never.

He hasn't been NRL standard for two years. If he continues that trajectory, I wouldn't be able to find a place for him on the bench, no matter how little we paid him.

Tell me this. How many CEO's have been killed as a result of their jobs or left in a wheel chair for life? How many will end up needing pain killers on a weekly basis?
Running a company at this time is hard. It might mean laying off staff, but you know what's harder? Losing your job and having to choose between your kid's school fees and the mortgage payments or the rent. Having to borrow from family and friends (not to support an investment but to keep a car running because it's old and starting to fall apart.
As for a PM's job? Show me one ex pm or minister who has said he has regretted it. Show me one pm or minister who hasnt walked into a job of 6 figures or more afterward, regardless of party affiliation. For that matter show me an ex politician who is scraping to get by.
The thing with money is: the more you pay someone, the more you are staking on them to be good. So you are invested in a successful outcome regardless of their competence.
That's why they are paid a lot more than doctors and nurses whose decisions only decide if people die or not, or teachers who only raise our kids for a third of their lives.
So a Milford on big money has to succeed or his investment is an indictment on the people who hired him. Meanwhile half a dozen players paid considerably have been discarded and there is barely a mention.
Money isn't a measure of worth but a bet by those paying it on their successes. And like Milford, it is a gamble.
Getting rid of him (or any other player for that matter) isnt a guarantee that we will find "better" value for money because the NRL has gotten into the habit of paying on expectation rather than reputation.
That's why I'm reluctant to recommend spending more on a would be 5/8 in staggs.
Milford at least possesses some of what we need, though clearly hasnt been the star we expected.
I think it's a wait and see in both their cases.
I don’t, for one moment, disagree with your sentiments about the dangers of playing rugby league, but I think we are starting to drift away from the main point - so where do we stop?

If we are talking risk associated with jobs; abalone divers don’t get paid $500k. Nor do abseilers, miners, police, firefighters and so on. They also don’t get fame and admiration, indeed read some of the comments on this very forum and you will see that police, who literally risk their lives everyday, are despised by some.

I don’t want you to misunderstand me either. I am not some high flying executive trying to defend the high-paid elites. I am just an average person (probably far less depending on who you ask), earning and average income. But I also understand there are things that most executives do, sacrifices that most have also had to make, that laypeople like me are either unaware of or might be unwilling to do (for example, spend months at a time away from their families). Most have worked their entire lives and put themselves through a mountain of education to get to where they are and for that, at least, I respect what they have achieved and understand why they are paid significantly more than me (obviously there will be some that have been given everything on a platter, but that’s another story).

I am also not a political apologist or advocate, I never involve myself in taking political sides as they’re all just as bad as each other. But I do feel that state and federal leaders, at this time, have had such tough jobs, so I do not envy them. When they are right, they’re wrong. And when they are wrong, they’re really fucking wrong.

All that aside, I think people in those lifesaving roles are the ones who should be put on the pedestal. They’re the ones that should be admired and paid handsomely, rather than being paid less than half of someone like Milford. When you consider that most people are happy to whinge about the cost of going to see their GP or getting surgery without stopping to consider what those people have had to do to become such a professional, there is a gross imbalance in what society thinks is a fair salary for sports people.

End rant - I will leave it at that.

I don't think 400k is reasonable. If he's playing well enough to keep he's going to attract more than that, and if he's not playing like a 600+ player he can go elsewhere.

Also I'm not making excuses but look at the state of the entire team the last few years. Milf's generally looked poor when he's been playing off the back foot with our forwards getting rolled and the defensive lines are set, when he's had halves partners who aren't halves, that sort of thing. Not to say we should all forgive him and make sure the next contract is the biggest ever, just if you can find the root causes of poor performance and change them then it's reasonable to expect the performances to improve too.
I think based on recent years performances 400k is just about right, then if he performs well in 2021 and backs it up in 2022 then we reward him. I don't think he has done enough to deserve a big contract yet. Maybe a player option in our favour for once that rewards good performance is what's needed.

I wouldnt even bother with Milf unless he absolutely comes out flying. He is 27 this year and the past couple of years he has just been serviceable and had a few injuries. We could get Blake Green to do that job for far less. Agree with @Kimlo $400k tops for him now. We could have pushed the boat out and had a go for Matt Burton instead of sticking with Milf.
27? Nice we’ve got another decade of the milf to go

I don’t, for one moment, disagree with your sentiments about the dangers of playing rugby league, but I think we are starting to drift away from the main point - so where do we stop?

If we are talking risk associated with jobs; abalone divers don’t get paid $500k. Nor do abseilers, miners, police, firefighters and so on. They also don’t get fame and admiration, indeed read some of the comments on this very forum and you will see that police, who literally risk their lives everyday, are despised by some.

I don’t want you to misunderstand me either. I am not some high flying executive trying to defend the high-paid elites. I am just an average person (probably far less depending on who you ask), earning and average income. But I also understand there are things that most executives do, sacrifices that most have also had to make, that laypeople like me are either unaware of or might be unwilling to do (for example, spend months at a time away from their families). Most have worked their entire lives and put themselves through a mountain of education to get to where they are and for that, at least, I respect what they have achieved and understand why they are paid significantly more than me (obviously there will be some that have been given everything on a platter, but that’s another story).

I am also not a political apologist or advocate, I never involve myself in taking political sides as they’re all just as bad as each other. But I do feel that state and federal leaders, at this time, have had such tough jobs, so I do not envy them. When they are right, they’re wrong. And when they are wrong, they’re really fucking wrong.

All that aside, I think people in those lifesaving roles are the ones who should be put on the pedestal. They’re the ones that should be admired and paid handsomely, rather than being paid less than half of someone like Milford. When you consider that most people are happy to whinge about the cost of going to see their GP or getting surgery without stopping to consider what those people have had to do to become such a professional, there is a gross imbalance in what society thinks is a fair salary for sports people.

End rant - I will leave it at that.
Agreed. Sportspeople in the high profile popular sports are well paid. They are extremely dedicated and hard working in their arenas too. We tend to focus on the top end of their pay scale but many are paid a moderate wage and I'd guess the majority of nrl players are towards the low end just as are wages paid in general society.

The sacrifices made and the effort expended to earn even 150-200k a season are great but when you factor in the public scrutiny, loss of privacy and pain/injuries I think that sort of money is well earned.

27? Nice we’ve got another decade of the milf to go
Sweet! That means we’ve got about 20 good games of him left. Following a similar trajectory, two good games a season for the next decade. Would be better if he could string them together in a singular season then go elsewhere to decline further

Was Milf earning his money in 2017 and 2018?

*2018 was the first year of his million dollar deal yeah?

Last edited:
Sweet! That means we’ve got about 20 good games of him left. Following a similar trajectory, two good games a season for the next decade. Would be better if he could string them together in a singular season then go elsewhere to decline further
I believe the chances of Milford being in Brisbane next year are close to zero. Anyone receiving a set wage for years will naturally value themselves at at least the same and a massive paycut would be a very public admission of failure. If Milford plays the house down and looks like a million dollar player again I'd want him gone. It would be stark evidence that he just didn't put in during the preceding years and would do so again.

If he produces a stellar year and by that I mean being truly magnificent I'd offer him 800k for a ONE year contract for 22. Another great year in 22 then back to a million for ONE year. Going forward I'd only ever offer him one year deals as he's proven, at least to me that he will only do bare minimums whilstever he has a multi year deal.

Was Milf earning his money in 2017 and 2018?

*2018 was the first year of his million dollar deal yeah?
Poty that year, he’s been shit since seibold ruined our team

Poty that year, he’s been shit since seibold ruined our team

you do realise that we had a POTY last year as well ... and we sucked.

all POTY means is that he was the best player on the team that year ... doesn't mean he is worth $1 million a season, hell doesn't even mean he played good footy necessarily

Cronulla chasing Bellamy for coaching director.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • GCBRONCO
  • Jazza
  • Battler
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Sproj
  • I bleed Maroon
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Wolfie
  • Old Mate
  • Xzei
  • Justwin
  • Maroon4life
  • Johnny92
  • Foordy
  • BroncosAlways
  • Harry Sack
  • westy316
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.