Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
We really arent that far away from a sorted squad under the right coaching. We basically need a fullback, half and quality defensive centres. We will learn this season if Niu/Staggs/Farnworth works out. So many are off contract this season, so its easy to clean the squad out of dead wood if necessary. Plenty of cash, far from panic stations.

Walsh covers FB in time - patience and training.
Half i have no answer for in the next two seasons.
The forwards - patience and training.
We need a right edge backrower and we need to find some players besides Haas who lock down their position for good. How many times have we chopped and changed our front row / lock rotation?

Yes, they’re all middle forwards nowadays, blah, blah, blah, but the fact is, we keep shuffling the decks, trying to find the right spot for TPJ, Lodge, Carrigan, now Asiata and our depth players. Have any of these blokes Haas aside, played more than 6 games in a row in the same position?

That is not the sign of a dominant pack... Did we ever wonder where Webcke or Petero’s best spot was?

We have an un-settled pack, terrible spine, poor outside backs and no fullback to speak of... What we have is a bunch of athletically talented individuals, who have been crammed into the squad and Pies and now Kev are expected to make it all work. What we don’t have is a team, nor even a real leader they could rally behind and so far become a team...

That situation hasn’t changed in 3 seasons now and is one of the major reasons why we remain a basket-case of a team.

We need a right edge backrower and we need to find some players besides Haas who lock down their position for good. How many times have we chopped and changed our front row / lock rotation?

Yes, they’re all middle forwards nowadays, blah, blah, blah, but the fact is, we keep shuffling the decks, trying to find the right spot for TPJ, Lodge, Carrigan, now Asiata and our depth players. Have any of these blokes Haas aside, played more than 6 games in a row in the same position?

That is not the sign of a dominant pack... Did we ever wonder where Webcke or Petero’s best spot was?

We have an un-settled pack, terrible spine, poor outside backs and no fullback to speak of... What we have is a bunch of athletically talented individuals, who have been crammed into the squad and Pies and now Kev are expected to make it all work. What we don’t have is a team, nor even a real leader they could rally behind and so far become a team...

That situation hasn’t changed in 3 seasons now and is one of the major reasons why we remain a basket-case of a team.
I think it goes back even further than that, I would say 5 years. The club sucks at succession planning and has since about 2000. It has got progressively worse each year since then.

I think it goes back even further than that, I would say 5 years. The club sucks at succession planning and has since about 2000. It has got progressively worse each year since then.
Stability is the major issue, coaches are all different and have their own ways. Like you said there hasn't been a succession plan, that's why I was against punting Bennett because he actually had a understudy he was grooming for handover. Unfortunately we've fucked that up and now we're back to finding a competent coach that is worthy of having an understudy.

Stability is the major issue, coaches are all different and have their own ways. Like you said there hasn't been a succession plan, that's why I was against punting Bennett because he actually had a understudy he was grooming for handover. Unfortunately we've fucked that up and now we're back to finding a competent coach that is worthy of having an understudy.
It was about the only time where somebody actually had a succession plan, unfortunately it appears egos got in the way.

It was about the only time where somebody actually had a succession plan, unfortunately it appears egos got in the way.
Yeah, and now we get to start over.

I honestly feel like the biggest and most necessary improvements we can make are off-field signings.

Was listening to Angus Chrichton on Bloke in a Bar podcast (you're welcome, Denan) and he was highlighting things the roosters and the coaching staff do well and several times he singled out that the support staff - the medical team, the physios, the talent scouts, the assistant coaches etc all do a really elite job supporting Trent Robinson and helping the club run smoothly.

Just made me think that it seems like these staff at the Broncos are really poor - the constant injuries, the inability to diagnose injuries, the decision to have Fifta's surgery last year months after the comp was paused, rather than right away... It really seems like we need to do a better job assembling a competent support team around the players. The most baffling part of it is that its all salary cap exempt... as the biggest and richest club in the league we should be using our resources to our advantage to assemble a brilliant off-field core and using this edge over the rest of the competition.

Think the whole football operation needs a massive overhaul, not just the playing roster

I honestly feel like the biggest and most necessary improvements we can make are off-field signings.

Was listening to Angus Chrichton on Bloke in a Bar podcast (you're welcome, Denan) and he was highlighting things the roosters and the coaching staff do well and several times he singled out that the support staff - the medical team, the physios, the talent scouts, the assistant coaches etc all do a really elite job supporting Trent Robinson and helping the club run smoothly.

Just made me think that it seems like these staff at the Broncos are really poor - the constant injuries, the inability to diagnose injuries, the decision to have Fifta's surgery last year months after the comp was paused, rather than right away... It really seems like we need to do a better job assembling a competent support team around the players. The most baffling part of it is that its all salary cap exempt... as the biggest and richest club in the league we should be using our resources to our advantage to assemble a brilliant off-field core and using this edge over the rest of the competition.

Think the whole football operation needs a massive overhaul, not just the playing roster
You make some great points.
Also, we spend millions on a state of the art centre of excellence and then scrimp on the pennies by staffing it with average Joes. We should be scouring the globe to find the necessary people at the top of their game to come in and give us that 2 or 3% advantage over the other teams. As you said we have the cash and it's cap exempt.

The amount of injuries and poor diagnoses of injuries we have witnessed over the last two seasons is simply inexcusable for a club of our size. I recall Oates being diagnosed with a compound fracture in what was a deep gash. Whoever came up with that doozy should have dumped on the spot.

100%

Now that White is finally gone maybe we will see this change when Donaghy can finally start.

This might tie into Paul White being lauded for turning a profit. The less we spent on doing things properly, the higher the short term profit would be at the expense of the long term value of the club. He wouldn't be the first CEO rewarded for gutting an organisation if it means a few bucks in the short term.

This might tie into Paul White being lauded for turning a profit. The less we spent on doing things properly, the higher the short term profit would be at the expense of the long term value of the club. He wouldn't be the first CEO rewarded for gutting an organisation if it means a few bucks in the short term.

It's the board's job to understand and recognise that this sort of cheap-skate approach to achieving profitability isn't viable long term.

Bad organisations achieve profitability by focusing on cost-cutting. Good organisations achieve profitability by focusing on generating revenue.

If the Broncos can't produce on the field then you can try to cut all the costs you want, but they will fail as a business. Our product is our football team, the board need to start prioritising that. Cut costs in the leagues club if you like.

I don't know what Donaghy's track record is with profitability, but I am thrilled that he has overseen a successful football operations and his choice as new CEO was definitely a step in the right direction.

It's the board's job to understand and recognise that this sort of cheap-skate approach to achieving profitability isn't viable long term.

Bad organisations achieve profitability by focusing on cost-cutting. Good organisations achieve profitability by focusing on generating revenue.

If the Broncos can't produce on the field then you can try to cut all the costs you want, but they will fail as a business. Our product is our football team, the board need to start prioritising that. Cut costs in the leagues club if you like.

I don't know what Donaghy's track record is with profitability, but I am thrilled that he has overseen a successful football operations and his choice as new CEO was definitely a step in the right direction.
I just shuddered at the thought that Donny could be another product of the Storm system who isn’t anything special once he isn’t linked with the success of Belly and Cam.

What if Donaghy is another Tiger’s Adam Blair.

Whites initial success involved persuading bums on seats and corporates into following a mediocre team for years - until that team got worse.
Easy enough while you have the passionate following of the Brisbane fans. But in the end here we are rebuilding from both the bottom up and top down. In fact from every side you look at, coach, conditioners, administration. Both his tenure and legacy are a disaster and it’s going to take some time to mop up and re-establish. We need to be patient.

Last edited:
I just shuddered at the thought that Donny could be another product of the Storm system who isn’t anything special once he isn’t linked with the success of Belly and Cam.

What if Donaghy is another Tiger’s Adam Blair.

He was already well-established before joining the Storm. He was one of the big reasons the Lions turned around 20 years of mediocrity. He’s a good ‘un and remember, the Storm wouldn’t be fighting this hard if he wasn’t the goods.

Also, I love the conversation in the last few posts, the Broncos have been rotten from the head down, clean the lot out. Keep only those who are absolutely nailing their job...which wouldn’t be many of them.

Whites initial success involved persuading bums on seats and corporates into following a mediocre team for years - until that team got worse.
Easy enough while you have the passionate following of the Brisbane fans. But in the end here we are rebuilding from both the bottom up and top down. In fact from every side you look at, coach, conditioners, administration. Both his tenure and legacy are a disaster and it’s going to take some time to mop up and re-establish. We need to be patient.

I think it is hard to argue his regime wasn’t worse than Cullen’s, that says everything. In fact, his regime was one of the worst in the history of rugby league I’d argue. How can you take an absolute powerhouse with all the advantages the Broncos have and turn it into an abject laughing stock with little light at the end of the tunnel?

He was already well-established before joining the Storm. He was one of the big reasons the Lions turned around 20 years of mediocrity. He’s a good ‘un and remember, the Storm wouldn’t be fighting this hard if he wasn’t the goods.

Agree completely. I just hope all this legal bullshit gets sorted so he can actually start before the season is virtually over.

You're 100% correct, but sadly, the fact that Peter Nolan still has a job even after last year screams loud and clear that the club have no interest in listening to you.

I actually think the declined happened with Bennett. He stacked the side for a short window, exactly what hes doing with Souffs. The board clearly gave him control due to his pulling power. After players from that side were moved on, which had to happen, there was nothing left in the wings. There was no succession planning embedded.

Same thing happened at Dragons, similar thing at Knights - although knights was a mess everywhere.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Swordfish
  • Shane Tronc
  • Inside pass
  • Fozz
  • MrMoore
  • Foordy
  • TimWhatley
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • Maroon4life
  • simplythebest
  • bb_gun
  • mitch222
  • Battler
  • Allo
  • rj9
  • Brocko
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.