Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure either Turps or Smith are anywhere near as effective playing 80 mins anyway, they're just not those type of players ... but how good would it be for them to work in tandem ... we would have a pretty handy 1-2 punch right there.
The pace of the game now makes an impact bench hooker a must. Smith + Turpin/Paix/? would be ideal. Having Turpin in the 14 adds great halves cover also. Do it Kevvie!!
With Friend coming to the end of his career watch uncle Nick organise a little golf game with Brandon...

19 this year. Colts don’t start until after Easter so he’s still a few weeks off playing. He is only in the Broncos development training squad.
What’s your take on him mate? He looked a bit raw in the trial but a few people I’ve spoken to have some big wraps on him. Do you know if Kevvie has plans for him?

Grant renewed his deal at the end of 2019- that was our/anyone’s chance. At the end of two great ISC years you could have got him cheaper and sold the opportunity to get away from Smith. If you didn’t take that I think you’ll never get him now.

Which is an interesting side point in itself, why weren't the media talking him up and other clubs coming at him with ridiculous offers like all our kids get?

What’s your take on him mate? He looked a bit raw in the trial but a few people I’ve spoken to have some big wraps on him. Do you know if Kevvie has plans for him?

I have only watched him play MM. Like Coates at that level there is something there. See how he goes at Colts. I think he will get a run in ISC this year.

He’s impressed just with his attitude, he’s on a very small amount of money but happy to train and learn. Kevvie had him last year in QAS/Emerging U18 squad and he’s never made any Qld sides before. He sees something.

Last edited:
I have only watched him play MM. Like Coates at that level there is something there. See how he goes at Colts. I think he will get a run in ISC this year.

He’s impressed just with his attitude, he’s on a very small amount of money but happy to train and learn. Kevvie had him last year in QAS squad abs he’s never made any Qld sides before.

These are the kind of players you build a winning culture on and why it isn't the end of the world if we lose mercenary kids like Fifita and possibly Staggs.

HScreenshot_2021-03-14 Storm shock Munster eyes return to Queensland.jpg

The Shit Factory is gloating that Munster would jump at the opportunity to return to QLD, but not to the Broncos:

“If another Brisbane team comes in, I won’t say no to going back home. I do see myself moving to Queensland after football and if a second Brisbane team comes in, I could go back earlier than expected. I wouldn’t say no to that (joining a second Brisbane team) … for sure.”

“It is definitely something I am looking at … is coming home to Queensland. Look, if expansion never happened, I would finish my career at the Storm.

Hf03bb634282a48da956eede5d2ba9925.jpg

“I do love Melbourne and I would have no issues whatsoever being a one-club man for the Storm. But if the second Brisbane team sets the right culture and gets good people around the club, with a culture like the Storm, then I can’t see why I wouldn’t join them.”

“Dad has had diabetes for a long time. He’s been told he has a 10 per cent chance of living if he gets sick from coronavirus, so that’s pretty scary for me. Their health situation hits it home for me and I want to do what I can so that they can live on. If either one of them was to get coronavirus they would be in serious trouble. Being in Melbourne, I’ve been away from my family for a long time.”

Brisbane Jets bid chief Nick Livermore:

“Cam Munster will be our No. 1 signing if we get the licence. The key for Cameron is working out when he is available to come home. We are aware that Cameron is contracted to the Storm until the end of 2023. We will conduct ourselves with total integrity and transparency. If Cameron did want to go home, which he has indicated, we would talk to the Storm first out of respect to Melbourne. Our priority right now is getting an NRL licence and if we can do that, then we will have to think about the composition of our squad. Munster is an NRL superstar. He is the difference between winning and losing Origin games and, as a Queensland kid, he would be the ideal ambassador for a second Brisbane team.”

Melbourne football-operations chief Frank Ponissi:

“It’s always a challenge for us, keeping our best talent. When it comes to Queensland, Cam loves that Maroon jersey, that’s the ultimate for him. A second Brisbane team will certainly open up a new competitor for every player, whether you are a Queenslander, a New South Welshman, or whatever you are. If a second Brisbane team comes in, there will be a 16th competitor to us and they will be looking for 30 players in their first year. We won’t get too bogged down with it. We have a history of attracting Queensland talent at our club with three NRL teams in Queensland, so we won’t worry about the threat of a fourth team.”

McHunt

Last edited:
Something in that article suggest he would go to a second Brisbane team, not sure it was mentioned though.

IF Turpin can play week in week out like he did on Friday night, I’m not sure we need to spend the bank on B.Smith.
Munster on the other hand, is someone I’d love the club to chuck 1.5mill on. He is what we need. Put Dearden next to him, and I think this side absolutely thrives. Unfortunately, I’m pretty sure Munster is locked up for at least the next few years.

1 1910 what are your thoughts on us keeping Walsh? I think he is a genuine star that we currently have at the club, but looks like we are (again) at big risk of loosing him to another club throwing the bank at him..
I’d love for him to stick around. Surely we could shop Isaako to the Warriors. I’d be happy for us to chip in a bit to make sure we keep Walsh as our long term FB.

Last edited:
bloody Storm, have the 2 best hookers and want to keep them both!? HOW?
Broncos could really do with B. Smith.. and he seems to like holidaying up this part of the world. Harry Grant is going to cost them a lot next contract (apparently chasing $800,000 a year on long term contract).
Surely they can't justify keeping Smith on bench at half a million when this occurs

bloody Storm, have the 2 best hookers and want to keep them both!? HOW?
Broncos could really do with B. Smith.. and he seems to like holidaying up this part of the world. Harry Grant is going to cost them a lot next contract (apparently chasing $800,000 a year on long term contract).
Surely they can't justify keeping Smith on bench at half a million when this occurs

they've already agreed to release him next year, we'd just need to come up with player compensation for them ... and of course agree to terms with Smith

Small sample theatre, only one game to go off this season...

But...

Grant is the dream, but unless theres a significant break down in relations between him and the Storm, hes out of reach.

B Smith then becoems the number 1 target. Why?

We need a spine that can compete with the best. Turps and him can co-exist, as Brandan can be a running 13 too, meaning they can both play on the field at the same time.

Go and find a replay of that game against Parra; 62-63 minute i think. Parra markers split and Turps at the play the ball. What should he do? Given the state of the game, find your playmaker (Milford).

What did he do instead? Decided to kick the ball right into the back of one of those split markers. Instantly Parra have a fresh set of 6 on the half way line.

Its a small thing, but when games are on the line you just need a little more composure, a little more football nous to make the right decision.

Ive never seen B Smith make a similar error.

Then again, dont talk to me about Milfs useless mid field chip and chase effort with the game on the line not long after that either...another game changing moment...

Mind you, after round 1 all QLD based teams are equally shit so theres that...

Last edited:

But...

Grant is the dream, but unless theres a significant break down in relations between him and the Storm, hes out of reach.

We need a spine that can compete with the best. Turps and him can co-exist, as Brandan can be a running 13 too, meaning they can both play on the field at the same time.

Go and find a replay of that game against Parra; 62-63 minute i think. Parra markers split and Turps at the play the ball. What should he do? Given the state of the game, find your playmaker (Milford).

What did he do instead? Decided to kick the ball right into the back of one of those split markers. Instantly Parra have a fresh set of 6 on the half way line.

Its a small thing, but when games are on the line you just need a little more composure, a little more football nous to make the right decision.

Then again, dont talk to me about Milfs useless mid field chip and chase effort with the game on the line not long after that either...another game changing moment...

I know Grant is unrealistic but I hope we offer him $1.5 million a season. See how ungettable he is and worst case scenario, push the Storm's offer up.

they've already agreed to release him next year, we'd just need to come up with player compensation for them ... and of course agree to terms with Smith
I can't make sense of it, as Fox Sports say otherwise...
So he's contracted til the end of '22, but they will let him go if a club lets them sign an elite lock forward?
I guess we can't offer them anything, as we need RIKI and TPJ (if they even fit that bill, the whole lock-forward term is pretty loose.)

This below is what Fox Sports has said today:

"Smith is contracted to Melbourne until the end of 2022 but could pay the Storm as much as $200,000 to get a release at the end of this season."
"The Herald says Smith is earning about half a million dollars next year from the Storm, but the club would want to replace him with an elite lock-forward which could cost them as much as $700,000."

I can't make sense of it, as Fox Sports say otherwise...
So he's contracted til the end of '22, but they will let him go if a club lets them sign an elite lock forward?
I guess we can't offer them anything, as we need RIKI and TPJ (if they even fit that bill, the whole lock-forward term is pretty loose.)

This below is what Fox Sports has said today:

"Smith is contracted to Melbourne until the end of 2022 but could pay the Storm as much as $200,000 to get a release at the end of this season."
"The Herald says Smith is earning about half a million dollars next year from the Storm, but the club would want to replace him with an elite lock-forward which could cost them as much as $700,000."
edit: MY BAD, 2022 is NEXT year. woops. time flies.
Sounds like he's keen to run on as a 9 next year though, regardless... which won't ever happen at the storm behind a healthy Grant.

But...

It's pretty sad that near all the best QLDERS are playing in non QLD sides!
If only Cyril Connell lived forevr we'd probably have Munster AND Grant at the Broncs. (both from Cyril's hometown!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.