Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right, he's extremely unlikely to get part of that pie ... but I would still fire any manager who "won't do the work"

Actually reminds me of a union official that came to the site I was working about 12 years ago. Informed us that the union wouldn't be seeking our annual pay rise that year, because we were paid above the award and one of the higher paying companies... we basically told him that we paid his union to work for us and we didn't give a shit about the pay structure of our competitors ... two things happened that year, we didn't get a pay rise, and the union's membership base decreased significantly.

Sort of off track I suppose, but my point is if I am a rugby league player, I wouldn't care if I was on 100k a year or 1 million a year, if my manager wasn't prepared to do the work, then I would be seeking new representation
Bet if he increases your pay five times you wouldn’t be sacking him.

A manager needs something to go to market with and my client is 18, and played a trial and no one has heard of him but I’m sure you should give us money to promote your product is a hell of a sell.

Last edited:
Bet if he increases your pay five times you wouldn’t be sacking him.

A manager needs something to go to market with and my client is 18, and played a trial and no one has heard of him but I’m sure you should give us money to promote your product is a hell of a sell.

It isn’t just in the short term though is it. His manager should be doing everything he can for his client and if he becomes as good as everyone hopes he will, he has far more earning potential in Brisbane than Auckland.

It isn’t just in the short term though is it. His manager should be doing everything he can for his client and if he becomes as good as everyone hopes he will, he has far more earning potential in Brisbane than Auckland.

you think the manager cares about the long game? He too knows a career can be over in a second, he’ll strike while the iron is hot

I know Grant is unrealistic but I hope we offer him $1.5 million a season. See how ungettable he is and worst case scenario, push the Storm's offer up.
I’d rather we actually become a professional organisation and come up with a serious recruitment plan, that targets the innumerable areas of our game that fall short of what is needed to be a top team and make genuine, realistic and tempting bids at players we might actually be able to sign / keep.

We throw a ridiculous offer at Grant? Push the Storm’s price up great. Meanwhile B. Smith signs at the Titans, we miss out on both and gain absolutely nothing except more ridicule at our inept recruitment...

Last edited:
Grant renewed his deal at the end of 2019- that was our/anyone’s chance. At the end of two great ISC years you could have got him cheaper and sold the opportunity to get away from Smith. If you didn’t take that I think you’ll never get him now.
Couldn’t agree more. Pursuing him is about as useful as our pursuit of JT and Smith for all those years.

Absolutely futile, makes us look inept and just harms our chances of actual signings that might eventuate...

you think the manager cares about the long game? He too knows a career can be over in a second, he’ll strike while the iron is hot

Manager game has changed. The focus used to be on extra deals because clients weren’t earning much. Your player is making 80k and you get it up to 150k with a few deals then wow.

Now an 18 year old can earn 500k, Managers make that the focus and don’t chase deals getting it up to 550k.

Unless it’s easy, my client Billy Slater loves your cars.....the top five players are 48% of the deals.

81 players have 172 TPA. That’s not a lot.

Last edited:
True, just like the Hass deal at the time.

I mean 5 year at 300k (or whatever) is a huge bargain considering, even for a highly touted rookie. Now the idiot just has to start a season for once

a report in the Courier Mail from Brent Read (isn't he a reporter for their competition the Australian??) is saying the the Titans are trying to poach both Kotoni Staggs and Brendan Piakura.

he says both are believed to be close to deciding where their futures lie between Brisbane, the GC or Sydney (where both have big offers from the Bulldogs)

a report in the Courier Mail from Brent Read (isn't he a reporter for their competition the Australian??) is saying the the Titans are trying to poach both Kotoni Staggs and Brendan Piakura.

he says both are believed to be close to deciding where their futures lie between Brisbane, the GC or Sydney (where both have big offers from the Bulldogs)
**** I am so sick of the Titans. I would happily win 3 wooden spoons if it meant those ***** would fold.

That’s weird it’s from Read in the Courier Mail. Also concerning he is writing it, it means there is likely something to it.

That said, how do the Dogs and Titans have money? Both have gone on massive spending sprees.

Last edited:

Meh, we had Staggs and Fifita last year and look how that turned out for us.

Last edited:
This will be a surprising post from me I know but I’m actually wondering if letting Staggs go might not be the worst thing. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to keep him but not for any more than 600k.

If he wants more than that, see ya later. 600k is probably already too much given Addo-Carr is on about 500 apparently and he’s a far more complete player. The emergence of Farnworth as a genuinely elite centre prospect plus Niu who looks good means we aren’t desperate for him now, plus maybe Cobbo might transition there and then there’s Coates too.

Also, while I think he would make a gun 6, we already have three of those in Milford, Dearden and Croft. If we let Milf go or halve his contract and give the other half to Staggs than I’m all for keeping him. I think Staggs’ (or at least his manager’s) games might come back to bite him.

This club looks to be turning around it’s culture and the way Staggs has acted thus far does not fit with the new values. Either he accepts an already good offer or he doesn’t. We aren’t in as weak a position as we were a couple of weeks ago now with him.

Last edited:

That’s weird it’s from Read in the Courier Mail. Also concerning he is writing it, it means there is likely something to it.

That said, how do the Dogs and Titans have money? Both have gone on massive spending sprees.
It has to be a given that every club is on the market and is aware of every player coming off contract. And also that every player coming off contract is considering his options and it's his agent's job to create a market and talk up a price. There is no news in this story.

As of this moment, I can't see too many players jumping ship for unders to play under Kevin Walters. But that might change by the season's end. Wins against Souths, Storm, Roosters and even the Titans, would do wonders for Kevvie's cred.

Nonetheless, I'm busting to see why this kid Piakura has so much hype around him.

This will be a surprising post from me I know but I’m actually wondering if letting Staggs go might not be the worst thing. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to keep him but not for any more than 600k.

If he wants more than that, see ya later. 600k is probably already too much given Addo-Carr is on about 500 apparently and he’s a far more complete player. The emergence of Farnworth as a genuinely elite centre prospect plus Niu who looks good means we aren’t desperate for him now, plus maybe Cobbo might transition there and then there’s Coates too.

Also, while I think he would make a gun 6, we already have three of those in Milford, Dearden and Croft. If we let Milf go or half his contract and give the other half to Staggs than I’m all for keeping him. I think Staggs’ (or at least his manager’s) games might come back to bite him.

This club looks to be turning around it’s culture and the way Staggs has acted thus far does not fit with the new values. Either he accepts an already good offer or he doesn’t. We aren’t in as weak a position as we were a couple of weeks ago now with him.

The last outside back strike weapon we lost is now at the Tigers at his 3rd club in as many years looking like a homeless person and playing as bad as he looks.

I hope Kotoni is taking notice.

Deadset the game is fucked if teams can go on huge season spendung sprees and still out bid us for our best talent.

If the Titans after what they have spent over paying players to join them and upgrading contracts land K Staggs and B Smith the game is deadset rigged. Especially when you see teams like the Roosters stock piling all the talent they have while still being in the market for top line players.

I’ll go against the grain here I’m sure, but I don’t see the Titans as being over the cap or even close to the full cap. They got rid of a lot of tied up cash over the last couple of years and replaced with some small contracts for quality young players.
They got rid of 2 big contract in dubious fashion and replaced those with Fifita and Tino. Even by their own admission they only had 500k avaioable (not sure how) but now apparently they can sign Staggs and Piakura, what like 250k each?

The NRL might think they can treat us all like idiots, it doesn't mean we have to just accept it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Stix
  • Johnny92
  • Wolfie
  • Fozz
  • Brocko
  • Manofoneway
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Lurker
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bucking Beads
  • phoenix
  • Sproj
  • teampjta
  • Jedhead
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • Bongo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrTickyMcG
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.