Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
For next year, not this year. They’ll obviously shed more players to bring in others.
Yep, exactly. They have plenty of guys still on big money who are coming off contract shortly that they can move on.

Yep, exactly. They have plenty of guys still on big money who are coming off contract shortly that they can move on.
Yeah, Peachey and Proctor would probably be a direct swap for Staggs and Piakura with some change if they can move Taylor down to a more reasonable salary but the Taylor savings would probably be needed to top Brimson up.

Yeah, Peachey and Proctor would probably be a direct swap for Staggs and Piakura with some change if they can move Taylor down to a more reasonable salary but the Taylor savings would probably be needed to top Brimson up.
They also have guys like Ese'Ese and Wallace that they could probably offload given it wouldn't be too hard to find other clubs that would take them on.

This will be a surprising post from me I know but I’m actually wondering if letting Staggs go might not be the worst thing. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to keep him but not for any more than 600k.

If he wants more than that, see ya later. 600k is probably already too much given Addo-Carr is on about 500 apparently and he’s a far more complete player. The emergence of Farnworth as a genuinely elite centre prospect plus Niu who looks good means we aren’t desperate for him now, plus maybe Cobbo might transition there and then there’s Coates too.

Also, while I think he would make a gun 6, we already have three of those in Milford, Dearden and Croft. If we let Milf go or halve his contract and give the other half to Staggs than I’m all for keeping him. I think Staggs’ (or at least his manager’s) games might come back to bite him.

This club looks to be turning around it’s culture and the way Staggs has acted thus far does not fit with the new values. Either he accepts an already good offer or he doesn’t. We aren’t in as weak a position as we were a couple of weeks ago now with him.

If we want to build a better no dickheads culture then blokes like Staggs and Haas seriously need to pull their heads in. I reckon we could bide our time, get in somebody like Joey Manu for the same kind of money Staggs is looking for and have a far more complete footballer.

They still have to replace those players they shed, they just have less money to do it with. Quality across the squad gets affected when you pay overs.

I don’t mind letting staggs go, I’d rather an elite defensive centre the an all out attacking one you have to break the bank for. The way attacking plays are run near the line these days one bad call from the centre and it’s try time. Walsh, dearden and piakura need to be priority.

all this talk of Titans shedding cash but so are we. I assume we’re just not throwing out dumb contracts FINALLY!

What we really need to do is shore ourselves from a raid from a possible second Brisbane team in 2023, which will be cashed up for at least 30 players, and will be vulturing around our ranks the second they get the go-ahead. They're sure to have either Bennett or Bellamy involved (possibly both), some QLD origin stars like Munster and my money's on Cam Smith to be up to his nuts in it. The Tower of Shit will be hyping the **** out of it and white-anting the Broncos, and maybe they'll have someone like the Walker brothers coaching so it'll all sound like the Harlem Globetrotters. I'm betting they'll be able to pay unders, at least for the first contract. Not so much the following year when they're the current wooden spooners.

If we're serious about retaining players, we need to lock them in through 2023.

Last edited:
For next year, not this year. They’ll obviously shed more players to bring in others.
Plus upgrade brimson and mo , 4 origin players and 1 that will be over a mil

a report in the Courier Mail from Brent Read (isn't he a reporter for their competition the Australian??)
lol no, they’re both Murdoch rags

same james franco GIF

interesting ... because i don't recall seeing his byline in the CM before.
It is rare, but with them being in the same family it’s entirely unsurprising. However Read does seem to be one of the few respectable league journos left

ps their competition is Nine/Fairfax which is the SMH, Canberra Times, Fin Review and the Age. Literally everything else that isn’t in WA (Seven West Media), is an arm of News Corp

Let's be real, regardless of how dodgy the Titans' cap is and how they get some players off their books, they have still overpaid a number of their players. With the exception of Lodge and possibly Flegler and TPJ, as far as I'm aware, all our other awful contracts are ending. We no longer have to pay for Bird, Macca, Joffa or whoever else which should also give us a million more than we have this year.

So if we can't match what other clubs are offering, they need to be investigated (and I am also taking about offering massive overs because how do they have the money?).

They got rid of 2 big contract in dubious fashion and replaced those with Fifita and Tino. Even by their own admission they only had 500k avaioable (not sure how) but now apparently they can sign Staggs and Piakura, what like 250k each?

The NRL might think they can treat us all like idiots, it doesn't mean we have to just accept it.
They are not going to re-sign Taylor, that frees up a million. That is my pick.

They are not going to re-sign Taylor, that frees up a million. That is my pick.
I think they will re-sign Taylor but on a reduced contract. Even if they don't they will still need another decent half to replace him, a $250k half won't win you a premiership.

Mind you, I don't even think they can win a premiership with Taylor.

Let's be real, regardless of how dodgy the Titans' cap is and how they get some players off their books, they have still overpaid a number of their players. With the exception of Lodge and possibly Flegler and TPJ, as far as I'm aware, all our other awful contracts are ending. We no longer have to pay for Bird, Macca, Joffa or whoever else which should also give us a million more than we have this year.

So if we can't match what other clubs are offering, they need to be investigated (and I am also taking about offering massive overs because how do they have the money?).

IMO, Lodge's contract at the time of signing was perfectly fine ... even decent value. then the NRL changed the rules and Lodge's contract became an unknown (given we really don't know yet how he will go under these new rules)

In TPJ's case, as soon as we gave him the 600k contract, we should have sent him to be mentored by Civoniceva immediately, try to get him to cut out the stupid shit (both on and off the field) ... he has the potential to be a weapon for us, hopefully now he is being mentored by Civoniceva, the second half of his contract see's him live up to that potential (or at least get close to it)

As much as i like Flegler, if the reported 600k contract is true, then it is definitely overs, likely offered after management was spooked by yet another media campaign talking about him having big offers elsewhere. It's looking like that may be stopping, which is a good sign.

p.s. on that last line, i assume you are talking about the Titans being investigated (which won't happen in our lifetimes) ... also, even if we can match what other clubs are offering doesn't mean we should match their offers. (sorry if i'm mistaking what your saying, given my sleep deprived state right now that last line confused me a bit, lol)

Last edited:
I feel Taylor will mature into premiership winning player in the next 3 years. I mean, looking objectively across the comp, there’s not many 7’s who are consistently outplaying him apart from the rep players.
Realistically he's 25 so it's probably now or never for him to try and go to that next level. He's a good player on his day, but far from a world beater and it's possible he's just hit his ceiling in terms of what he's capable of.

interesting ... because i don't recall seeing his byline in the CM before.
lol no, they’re both Murdoch rags

same james franco GIF
Read is one of the senior sports writers at the Australian. His stuff turns up occasionally in other Newcorp mastheads.

Murdoch's NRL coverage is the best by far. You'd be whinging like a **** if all you got was Fairfax and the Guardian. Though that might change when more transsexuals get involved.

Last edited:
Proctor resigned last year and would be similar to Glenn i.e. minimal contract

Peach I think is $600k according to zero tackle

Taylor talking about $600k, but they may just let him go.

Still need to factor in upgrades to Mo and Brimson (as you mentioned).

Not sure when Wallace is off contract, but he's on a fair bit as well I believe. Fermor is probably another guy they will need to upgrade, and at some point they will be looking for a top class hooker (in the vicinity of $700k-$800k)... I think Rein was signed on the cheap after being in reserve grade at Penrith so shouldn't be any relief there.

Regarding Staggs and Piakura... I'd say Staggs in QLD will be around $600k-$650k, whilst Piakura probably somewhere in the $300k-$400k territory (pending whether he plays NRL this year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • I bleed Maroon
  • bert_lifts
  • lynx000
  • Astro
  • Sproj
  • Galah
  • Johnny92
  • Scdeac
  • johnny plath
  • HarryAllan7
  • Hurrijo
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Allo
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • FACTHUNT
  • Alec
  • Broncosarethebest
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.