Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about Super League players i think there are quite a few who would do a good job for us. I know there are a fair few who have failed despite them being good players, but imo there are some worth looking at. Darryl Clark for hooker , Jake Connor for fullback, MarkPercival and Oliver Gildart for centres. Even somebody like Alex Walmsley would size and power as well as experience to our pack. I think those are probably the most NRL ready of the English players. I even think Zak Hardaker would do a lot better this time around if he came back to the NRL.
Price vs contribution I don't think any of them are worth what we would need to pay.. Daryl Clark a couple of years ago maybe, walmsley not with the new 6 again rules. I tend to think the same about hardaker and think he would be the cheapest considering his first go not going well...

I'd like Morgan Knowles or liam Farrell if they came at the right price. Jermaine mcgillvaray a couple of years ago would have been an ABSOLUTE bloody sensation in the NRL I believe

I think Walmsley coming off the bench for just short stint would still be very effective. Needs a different game plan from our current one. Problem is a lot of the really good English players are around the 30 year old mark and clubs probably wouldnt look at them. I do like Clark at hooker, but he still isnt the best hooker in Super league, James Roby is at 34 or 35 whatever he is now. Johnny Lomax is another.

I actually think the success the Canberra boys have had plus the likes of James Graham and Sam Burgess could entice some of these players here for decent money.

So based on what was said on NRL360 (so make of it as legit as you feel it should or shouldn't be), Piakura is effectively already signed to the Dogs, just waiting for it to be announced. Staggs, Coates and possibly 2 others are talking with the Titans and Dearden still linked to the Cows.

Not much new in there other than the potentially 4 players talking with the Titans (remember salary cap does not apply for some reason anymore).

And remember, despite all the rhetoric, Riki is yet to re-sign despite being a done deal 7 days ago.

So (potentially), given the Broncs have a self-confessed screwed salary cap, we could have seen the below over the last two-ish years:

OUT:
Joffa, Bird, Macca (x2), KNik, Su'A, Piakura, Coates?, Staggs?, Dearden?, Fifita, Boyd, Gillett, Kahu (x2), Walsh, Milford?, Allan, T.Boyd, McGuire, Mago, Roberts

IN:
Mead, Croft, Copley, Kennedy, Kennar, Asiata, Teo, Luke, Asiata, Arthars, ?? (who am I missing?)

Where has all our money gone and perhaps of equal importance, even if we are free of many of these horrible contracts for next year, who of any importance will actually WANT to come?

And...will we have any money to retain any of the off contract players we want to keep? If not, why not?

Man, we are a shambles.

So based on what was said on NRL360 (so make of it as legit as you feel it should or shouldn't be), Piakura is effectively already signed to the Dogs, just waiting for it to be announced. Staggs, Coates and possibly 2 others are talking with the Titans and Dearden still linked to the Cows.

Not much new in there other than the potentially 4 players talking with the Titans (remember salary cap does not apply for some reason anymore).

And remember, despite all the rhetoric, Riki is yet to re-sign despite being a done deal 7 days ago.

So (potentially), given the Broncs have a self-confessed screwed salary cap, we could have seen the below over the last two-ish years:

OUT:
Joffa, Bird, Macca (x2), KNik, Su'A, Piakura, Coates?, Staggs?, Dearden?, Fifita, Boyd, Gillett, Kahu (x2), Walsh, Milford?, Allan, T.Boyd, McGuire, Mago, Roberts

IN:
Mead, Croft, Copley, Kennedy, Kennar, Asiata, Teo, Luke, Asiata, Arthars, ?? (who am I missing?)

Where has all our money gone and perhaps of equal importance, even if we are free of many of these horrible contracts for next year, who of any importance will actually WANT to come?

And...will we have any money to retain any of the off contract players we want to keep? If not, why not?

Man, we are a shambles.
They are talking out their arse, just piling on without anyone actually cutting through the bullshit and reporting on what is actually happening. Only a few weeks ago these same twits were reporting we have $600k left on this years cap, so how can we now have no space left for next year after clearing contracts for bird, Milford, McCullough etc?

They have the money and they aren’t going to repeat the same mistakes and sign kids to contracts they have yet to earn. There’s a difference between ‘won’t compete’ for players & ‘can’t compete’ for players.

This crap about Brisbane never losing players they want to keep is a myth & I’m sick of lazy ignorant Sydney loud mouths repeating it - coincidentally every time we lose a fucking player!

They are talking out their arse, just piling on without anyone actually cutting through the bullshit and reporting on what is actually happening. Only a few weeks ago these same twits were reporting we have $600k left on this years cap, so how can we now have no space left for next year after clearing contracts for bird, Milford, McCullough etc?

They have the money and they aren’t going to repeat the same mistakes and sign kids to contracts they have yet to earn. There’s a difference between ‘won’t compete’ for players & ‘can’t compete’ for players.

This crap about Brisbane never losing players they want to keep is a myth & I’m sick of lazy ignorant Sydney loud mouths repeating it - coincidentally every time we lose a fucking player!

Regardless, who are we targeting to go there? We are not linked to anyone as far as I'm aware.

Last edited:
OUT:

IN:
I think you forgot Asiata

I honestly feel if we actually had a million dollars a year to throw at someone then I'd be making my biggest priority getting ourselves a top shelf Dummy Half.

It's hard to do in practice because they're a rare thing and very difficult to pry away from their current clubs but I honestly believe a smart Dummy Half who can steer the side around and hold our defence around the ruck together would change our prospects almost instantly. If Dearden and Croft were getting service from a Harry Grant or a Josh Hodgson they'd be far more effective than they are currently. I'd even take Brandon Smith if that's the only one we have a realistic chance of pulling off.

Then I'd go and get us a Fullback that is an actual point of strength instead of a huge point of weakness for a change and all of a sudden we look like a far more serious football side.
Halfback was the go and still is. Always a problem for us, prior and post Alf.

It’s two weeks into the season and we have 12 guys off contract playing for a new coach. Give it time.

Yeah totally get that and I am not panicking, just putting the question out there because by the time we got around to looking last year, all the available players were already gone.

Yeah totally get that and I am not panicking, just putting the question out there because by the time we got around to looking last year, all the available players were already gone.
Last year we did have cap problems, we still had bird on $950k for this year, McCullough coming back on $600k, Ofa sucking up half a million.
I also don’t think there was a lot out there last year.

this from a guy who IIRC complains that the club leaks like a sieve.

admit it ... you actually preferred our leaks

Dude, I'm just wanting some good news on the retention and recruitment front, that is it, nothing more and nothing less.

I have said MANY times, even in the post I just put up, that I don't trust the media, I am just saying what was said.

I MUCH prefer having no leaks but I also MUCH prefer seeing things happen.

So before you get attacking and start with the childish insults, please actually read what I have written and understand I am not talking about doom and gloom. It is a genuine point of discussion, nothing more and nothing less.

Last year we did have cap problems, we still had bird on $950k for this year, McCullough coming back on $600k, Ofa sucking up half a million.
I also don’t think there was a lot out there last year.

I agree but there were some things we really could have used. I also don't think there is a lot out there this year either and that is why I would like to know we are being proactive.

Dude, I'm just wanting some good news on the retention and recruitment front, that is it, nothing more and nothing less.

I have said MANY times, even in the post I just put up, that I don't trust the media, I am just saying what was said.

I MUCH prefer having no leaks but I also MUCH prefer seeing things happen.

So before you get attacking and start with the childish insults, please actually read what I have written and understand I am not talking about doom and gloom. It is a genuine point of discussion, nothing more and nothing less.

there was no "childish insult" as you put it ,,, it was more an observation and a comment on fact.

the fact being that you have whinged and whinged and whinged about leaks ... then get upset when they don't happen.

you can't have it both ways

Sorry but you need to get used to all of that for a bit. But it’ll change.

Last edited:
there was no "childish insult" as you put it ,,, it was more an observation and a comment on fact.

the fact being that you have whinged and whinged and whinged about leaks ... then get upset when they don't happen.

you can't have it both ways

Let me make it clearer for you. I said BEFORE you start with the childish insults, meaning please don't start them as your post suggested you were going to start doing.

Also, simply put, I don't care about leaks, I want ACTION. I want to hear about pen on paper, not rumours, not leaks, actions. I cannot make this clearer I'm sorry.

Reactions: 007
I agree but there were some things we really could have used. I also don't think there is a lot out there this year either and that is why I would like to know we are being proactive.
How active we are on the market will depend on who they re-sign, and on that front I think there’s reasons for us to wait & there’s probably reasons for those players to wait as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Battler
  • Rambstien
  • Allo
  • Pablo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • bb_gun
  • OnToSomething
  • mrslong
  • Santa
  • xilliun
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • LittleDavey
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.