Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
He still needs to defend there too

Extremely small sample size of course but in the games for Brissy and Samoa v Tonga where he played in the halves, he looked a lot safer than when defending at centre.

I hate how people forget what players like Milford and tpj were when they were re-signed. Milford was in top form, career form and deserved a big contract. Tpj was one of the best up and coming players. Oates was also one of the top wingers in the comp. Obviously the boyd and lodge contracts were shambles.

But it's more the nose driving of form that makes the contracts look worse. With decent coaching it wouldn't have been this bad.so **** you seibold

The thing with running Halves though is that it requires you to have a really high level organising Dummy Half like a Cook, Smith, Grant, Hodgson etc.

Turpin is a terrific competitor but I think it would be fair to say he's not in the same class as the best Dummy Halves in the game and without that I think it would make us playing a set of running Halves unlikely to succeed.
I don't think it's as essential as that. Watching the roosters yesterday, all Lussick did was get quality fast ball to first receiver. Which was Teddy a lot of the time. Then they had every one on the one page and they cut the tigers open at will. Even when Friend is there, he's not gun level quality. Very solid, but the outside men do the damage. I think if we had quality at first or second receiver, think Teddy, Keary, Munster, Cleary, Cody Walker amongst others, no one would be complaining about Turpin.

So based on what was said on NRL360 (so make of it as legit as you feel it should or shouldn't be), Piakura is effectively already signed to the Dogs, just waiting for it to be announced. Staggs, Coates and possibly 2 others are talking with the Titans and Dearden still linked to the Cows.

Not much new in there other than the potentially 4 players talking with the Titans (remember salary cap does not apply for some reason anymore).

And remember, despite all the rhetoric, Riki is yet to re-sign despite being a done deal 7 days ago.

So (potentially), given the Broncs have a self-confessed screwed salary cap, we could have seen the below over the last two-ish years:

OUT:
Joffa, Bird, Macca (x2), KNik, Su'A, Piakura, Coates?, Staggs?, Dearden?, Fifita, Boyd, Gillett, Kahu (x2), Walsh, Milford?, Allan, T.Boyd, McGuire, Mago, Roberts

IN:
Mead, Croft, Copley, Kennedy, Kennar, Asiata, Teo, Luke, Asiata, Arthars, ?? (who am I missing?)

Where has all our money gone and perhaps of equal importance, even if we are free of many of these horrible contracts for next year, who of any importance will actually WANT to come?

And...will we have any money to retain any of the off contract players we want to keep? If not, why not?

Man, we are a shambles.
Unless Gillett and Boyd are still under the cap...posing as 'trainers' seeing out their last contracted deals

Truly does not make sense whichever the truth lies?!

It's been covered before.

When the new television deal was coming up Brisbane happened to have the most players off-contract by a wide margin. Since the Broncos were one of the top teams an effort was made to keep as many players together as possible. This was dealt a body blow when Ben Hunt was offered that ridiculous six year contract from the Dragons which has completely sunk that club.

So Boyd, Milford, McCullough etc. were paid top tier salaries. Then to try and win one back they signed Bird on a marquee contract because he brought that Jamie Lyon/Justin Hodges type competitive player and it sunk the club.

Then they later tried to make Gillett a Bronco for life and he signed a contract that would still have another year left to run on it only to retire.

The Broncos sensing they were no closer to a premiership decided to make something happen and chase Bellamy. Bennett was OK with it as long as they let him in the know and he didn't have to find everything out through the media, that didn't happen so Bennett got snippy with management. Management then decided they had enough of Bennett and went after the hot new prospect which pissed off the playing group.

Seibold tried to work with the senior group but it was clear they weren't receptive to his ideas so he kept cutting players. That worked to an extent, but when it came to retention, the club had to start forking out huge upgrades just to keep players around. This is where he went crazy because a lot of the younger players like Paix, Dearden, Carrigan, Flegler, Coates etc. got paid way more money than they deserved. Then on top of that, the 'senior' players like Lodge, Pangai Jr, Oates got paid like they were the best players in their respective positions. Croft also didn't come cheaply either and is on solid halfback money.

So now you had the inflated NRL television deals and the inflated deals for the younger players who hadn't done anything in the game. This is why it became next to impossible to re-sign Fifita because in order to afford him, they needed to find a spare $600,000 which is why McCullough was punted.

Brisbane are still paying the lion's share for the few players they've released and while they have some money to play around with they're concerned with the group they have and deciding the best course of action. They're well behind a lot of other clubs because of the CEO debacle and the fallout with Seibs. They went all in and bought his holistic 'burn the boats' approach to coaching.

He did more than that, he burnt the club to the ground and us fans have had nothing to look forward to for years now.
Nailed it.

Also the shine is gone, we're just another club now and will soon have another team in Brisbane that we'll have to compete with for signings.

Last edited:
Nailed it.

Also the shine is gone, we're just another club now and will soon have another team in Brisbane that we'll have to compete with for signings.
Nswrl get what they wanted all along and the broncos board helped them achieve it.

Thats a riddle for sure , because I don't understand how you get worse when you have cash ?
I think it means that we are about to lose some blokes that we don't want to lose and have to rebuild our roster from zero. You just get that feeling that Staggs and Dearden are gone.

I think it means that we are about to lose some blokes that we don't want to lose and have to rebuild our roster from zero. You just get that feeling that Staggs and Dearden are gone.
You couldve resigned them earlier seibs! Why didn't you!

I said it in another post, i would not be surprised if the next time the Broncos are truly competitive, this team will look completely different to what it does now.
Maybe one or two from the current squad might still be here, but the rest will be new signings or up and comers.

Last edited:
Surely we keep some though , would be stupid to start from zero

I remember watching a Piakura highlight reaction video from Kemp a few months ago and at one point he was gushing over the broncos forward pack consisting of “Fifita, Haas, and Piakura” 😞

I remember watching a Piakura highlight reaction video from Kemp a few months ago and at one point he was gushing over the broncos forward pack consisting of “Fifita, Haas, and Piakura” 😞

Haas will go to the Titans eventually too if things stay as they are at Brisbane.

I hate how people forget what players like Milford and tpj were when they were re-signed. Milford was in top form, career form and deserved a big contract. Tpj was one of the best up and coming players. Oates was also one of the top wingers in the comp. Obviously the boyd and lodge contracts were shambles.

But it's more the nose driving of form that makes the contracts look worse. With decent coaching it wouldn't have been this bad.so **** you seibold
Quoted for truth

Bright side, we have 5.XX odd Million off contract the end of this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Wild Horse
  • Big Del
  • Manofoneway
  • NSW stables
  • Wolfie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Nightwatchman
  • Muros
  • Battler
  • heartly87
  • Jedhead
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Sproj
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • mrtij
  • marw
  • Gaz
  • Dexter
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.