Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember. Worse before better.
And we have money.

That's how I'm seeing it. I'm not sure we keep any off contract players and the market is fairly ordinary in terms of recruitment. Solid players are probably the best we can hope for.

This is definitely looking grim after reading joe’s pop up comment.
0DD0400C 8EAB 43B4 9FC6 1DD9703BFA37

It's been covered before.

When the new television deal was coming up Brisbane happened to have the most players off-contract by a wide margin. Since the Broncos were one of the top teams an effort was made to keep as many players together as possible. This was dealt a body blow when Ben Hunt was offered that ridiculous six year contract from the Dragons which has completely sunk that club.

So Boyd, Milford, McCullough etc. were paid top tier salaries. Then to try and win one back they signed Bird on a marquee contract because he brought that Jamie Lyon/Justin Hodges type competitive player and it sunk the club.

Then they later tried to make Gillett a Bronco for life and he signed a contract that would still have another year left to run on it only to retire.

The Broncos sensing they were no closer to a premiership decided to make something happen and chase Bellamy. Bennett was OK with it as long as they let him in the know and he didn't have to find everything out through the media, that didn't happen so Bennett got snippy with management. Management then decided they had enough of Bennett and went after the hot new prospect which pissed off the playing group.

Seibold tried to work with the senior group but it was clear they weren't receptive to his ideas so he kept cutting players. That worked to an extent, but when it came to retention, the club had to start forking out huge upgrades just to keep players around. This is where he went crazy because a lot of the younger players like Paix, Dearden, Carrigan, Flegler, Coates etc. got paid way more money than they deserved. Then on top of that, the 'senior' players like Lodge, Pangai Jr, Oates got paid like they were the best players in their respective positions. Croft also didn't come cheaply either and is on solid halfback money.

So now you had the inflated NRL television deals and the inflated deals for the younger players who hadn't done anything in the game. This is why it became next to impossible to re-sign Fifita because in order to afford him, they needed to find a spare $600,000 which is why McCullough was punted.

Brisbane are still paying the lion's share for the few players they've released and while they have some money to play around with they're concerned with the group they have and deciding the best course of action. They're well behind a lot of other clubs because of the CEO debacle and the fallout with Seibs. They went all in and bought his holistic 'burn the boats' approach to coaching.

He did more than that, he burnt the club to the ground and us fans have had nothing to look forward to for years now.

And we have money.

So they're leaving because they're fleeing the sinking ship, not because we can't match offers like the media are suggesting?

And we have money.
Is this situation ( worse before better) something Kevvie and management have acknowledged? If they have, I would think this would prevent the club from making more stupid reactionary decisions in an attempt to find a miracle fix. I am hoping that they have a long term plan no matter how painful the short term.
Thanks Joe.

So they're leaving because they're fleeing the sinking ship, not because we can't match offers like the media are suggesting?

or because we're not prepared to match the massive offers they are getting elsewhere before they actually deserve them

or because we're not prepared to match the massive offers they are getting elsewhere before they actually deserve them

At this point in time, from everything we have been seeing and hearing, I think that is the best case scenario.

He liked my post, so I am guessing it means we will lose Staggs, Piakura and likely keep Coates, Dearden and Riki.
Meh,
1 of Piakura or Riki
1 of Staggs or Coates
+ Dearden

and I’ll be content.

Piakura looks very promising and Walsh stings but re-signing them all would throw out the balance of the team (or maintain the imbalance). It will burn to watch some of them become superstars at other clubs, and it’ll cripple us if we lose them all but holding onto Dearden + 1 forward and 1 back while leaving enough money to put experience and leadership around them is the best way forward.

Meh,
1 of Piakura or Riki
1 of Staggs or Coates
+ Dearden

and I’ll be content.

Piakura looks very promising and Walsh stings but re-signing them all would throw out the balance of the team (or maintain the imbalance). It will burn to watch some of them become superstars at other clubs, and it’ll cripple us if we lose them all but holding onto Dearden + 1 forward and 1 back while leaving enough money to put experience and leadership around them is the best way forward.

Yep I think this is the best case scenario. I also don't want to spend what Staggs wants, as super lethal as he is in attack, he is half a player currently. Unless of course he is groomed to be a 6.

And we have money.
Is the better part roster-wise? I know you won't or can't say who you're hearing it's gonna be but are there rock solid plans/targets and are they seeing the same problems we are? Realistic targets?

Yep I think this is the best case scenario. I also don't want to spend what Staggs wants, as super lethal as he is in attack, he is half a player currently. Unless of course he is groomed to be a 6.
He still needs to defend there too

Is the better part roster-wise? I know you won't or can't say who you're hearing it's gonna be but are there rock solid plans/targets and are they seeing the same problems we are? Realistic targets?
I think from the context of him repeating these posts, there currently is no ‘better’. Expect more bad news before you expect to her anything good.

Like saying “I’ll die before I win the lotto” doesn’t mean once I’m dead check my pockets for the winning ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Rambstien
  • Hurrijo
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Allo
  • Pablo
  • xilliun
  • Battler
  • bb_gun
  • OnToSomething
  • mrslong
  • Santa
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.