Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
His manager can't say it more clearly without saying it that Capewell wants to play for the Broncs and us as supporters want him. Surely the club gets this one right, surely.
Wouldn't bet on it. As kevvie has said they are focused on Staggs right now and this would require them to do 2 things at once which is likely beyond them.

Paypass, payID, western union, afterpay, zip pay - anything! 😅
Yeah that might work....................................as long as someone responsible had the pin number for them.

Again, i wonder if these retention contracts for a few of our players are being held back until May 1st when DD arrives to announce them?

You know there is a sub-market developing within the player market right now?

Its the one where a club identify other clubs "rubbish" so to speak, and arrange for 50%, 60%, 70% etc freight to take them on.

St George are all over this market. Its argubly not a long term winner but to improve the playing stock available its a great idea.

And no suprise they have taken a few of our players, given the state we are in.

Well, who could be next to be picked apart like this? Enter Cronulla.

Josh Morris has been horribly treated, and theres a real chance a lot of players loyal to him will vote with their feet.

There are a number of proven NRL players in that squad, no reason why we cant ask for similar freight on those we deem necessary to help turning our fortunes around.

Are we smart enough to take advantage though?

His manager can't say it more clearly without saying it that Capewell wants to play for the Broncs and us as supporters want him. Surely the club gets this one right, surely.
its never that easy for the broncos ... we will probably give them haas in return haha

Again, i wonder if these retention contracts for a few of our players are being held back until May 1st when DD arrives to announce them?

You know there is a sub-market developing within the player market right now?

Its the one where a club identify other clubs "rubbish" so to speak, and arrange for 50%, 60%, 70% etc freight to take them on.

St George are all over this market. Its argubly not a long term winner but to improve the playing stock available its a great idea.

And no suprise they have taken a few of our players, given the state we are in.

Well, who could be next to be picked apart like this? Enter Cronulla.

Josh Morris has been horribly treated, and theres a real chance a lot of players loyal to him will vote with their feet.

There are a number of proven NRL players in that squad, no reason why we cant ask for similar freight on those we deem necessary to help turning our fortunes around.

Are we smart enough to take advantage though?
Agree. The cronulla squad would be worth picking over to see if we could lure anyone suitable for us.

There is one big problem though. We aren't doing anything about Reynolds and Capewell so to add in any possibilities from Cronulla to consider is likely well and truly beyond our R & R teams capabilities.

it can be dangerous doing what the supporters want ... the team we have now is largely due to doing exactly what the supporters wanted (i.e. making sure we kept every youngster we had ... instead of the better option of picking the best couple and surrounding them with old heads)

it can be dangerous doing what the supporters want ... the team we have now is largely due to doing exactly what the supporters wanted (i.e. making sure we kept every youngster we had ... instead of the better option of picking the best couple and surrounding them with old heads)

This. A lot of the talk a couple of years ago was "this young kid is a gun, get rid of (experienced player) and promote this guy". Seibold didn't really have a choice with all the injuries, but we saw what happens when we put hype over experience on the field.

Kev said today in the pre game presser (when asked about Reynolds) that the club is more focusing on securing the futures of the young boys: Staggs, Coates and Dearden.
That there is straight away what is wrong with this club.
Going all out trying to retain 3 youngsters, that have proved nothing, whilst there is a game managing, premiership winning half available and on the market is just crazy.
Kev made it pretty clear that the r&r is solely focusing on trying to get Staggs to stay and build a roster around him. A centre, who they’re going to try and make into a 6, who is coming off an acl, and really done nothing to tell us he is going to win us premierships, and also really just out there chasing the biggest $.
Don’t get me wrong, I like Staggs, Coates and Dearden and I’d like all 3 to stay, but there are others who aren’t at the club, who we should be focusing a whole lot more effort in trying to get to the club.
Has this club not yet learnt that you need experienced players and leaders around the joint?
It’s exactly how we got ourselves into mess, and it seems it’s just going to continue to get worse.
I would let all three walk right now if it meant us securing Capewell and Reynolds. Those two would transform our club instantly.

Edit: Rudolf too lol. Can probably get Cape and Rudolf for roughly 500 each and Arey for 800-900. SJ might also be on the market. Compare a dearden, Staggs halves combo to Arey, SJ: It’s a no brainer.

I'm pretty sure the Broncos have done all they can within the new framework. They'd be offering fair but lower than market best prices contracts. I'm certain they will be better for it. Guys who stay or come to the club will be interested in a club career and that can only be good for we fans.

You can bet that every single possibly available player that can fill the Broncos wishlist is being looked at and all the player managers know Brisbane are shopping. If 50 names haven't been spread out or shown on a big screen somewhere I'd be very surprised. Behind the scenes I believe there's genuine movement.

Yeah of course this is true but Capewell is a Qld origin player who has gotten better this season who seemingly wants to play for the club and won't break the bank account, this is a no brainer for management, surely.

FYI these would be my changes for the 2022 season:

Retain

Coates
Staggs (no more than 600-650k a season)
Deardean (no more than 400k a season)

New Signings

Rudolf
Capewell
Reynolds
possibly Hynes/Drinkwater

Cut Loose

Milford
Glenn (retirement, I'd hate to see this guy wear a rival jersey)
Maybe even try to offload Flegler

Retain

Coates

New Signings

Rudolf
Capewell
Reynolds

Cut Loose

Milford

Decent suggestions except I couldn’t care less where Glenn plays.

Retain

Coates

New Signings

Rudolf
Capewell
Reynolds

Cut Loose

Milford
Thoughts on cutting Lodge too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Socnorb
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Midean
  • Bucking Beads
  • sooticus
  • Old Mate
  • Tmac
  • Fatboy
  • simplythebest
  • Lozza
  • achievedrap
  • Organix
  • Cavalo
  • lynx000
  • BroncosAlways
  • broncoscope
  • Aldo
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.