Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Always thought Tanah Boyd would be our next great half but that turned quickly after he went to Tits. Dearden may well consider his options accordingly.
He no doubt considers Thurston may help him on his way to stardom but as a well known jockey said to me one day “ I can’t pick them up and carry them out of the gates”
Toms got a lot of thinking to do.

Would not be overly fussed if we lose Dearden. The fact the club allegedly hasn’t even tabled an offer shows they aren’t that fussed about him either.

Lurking on the Cowboys forums, they reckon Dearden will be announced within the week and are 99% certain he is on his way north.
Speculating 300k/py for 3 years.

Im done with Dearden, he can go to the Cowboys, tired of the hype around potential.
They have an impeccable source:

I wonder what the Cowboy fans are excited about? except for the time he came on with 10 to go and scored against the Bulldogs he hasn't shown anything this season

Would not be overly fussed if we lose Dearden. The fact the club allegedly hasn’t even tabled an offer shows they aren’t that fussed about him either.
Perhaps they either thought he was staying or knew he was going.
Whatever, isn’t in their plans if they haven’t tried to keep him. Good riddance.

Why is everything sounding like it’s pivoting around Staggs?
Put a deadline on him and be done with it.
Kev spoke last week about only signing blokes that want to play for the Broncos.
If Staggs can’t make that decision with 700k sitting under his nose, from the club that developed him and gave him a shot, then get rid of him.
Ps I want him to stay, but ffs don’t put the world on hold until he decides.

I think Kevvie knows we aren't going to be pushing for a title with rookie halve steering the ship

No, but Broncos aren't going to be pushing for a title anyway until there's also a good hooker and fullback in the side. Still going to be in re-building mode, even if Reynolds joins next year.
So there's no reason why you couldn't partner those 2 together and have Dearden learn from Reynolds and hopefully have the side really ready to compete in a couple of years time.

Isnt this what ppl are after though having players develope more in isc?
Having the odd stint off the bench isn't going to jeopardise that. In fact if you manage it correctly you could give him 15-20 minutes in NRL and a longer stint in ISC.

I don't really understand the Broncos thought process with Paix. Brisbane had one of the best dummy half prospects in the game and they let him go the Tigers where he's been killing it in Canterbury Cup. Then on the weekend he gets an opportunity in first grade and he makes an immediate influence over their team. Meanwhile Brisbane are still trying to manufacture Paix who's best skill so far has been his support play.

It just reminds me of the Ben Hunt situation all over again where they decided he was a dummy half way too early in his development.

Having the odd stint off the bench isn't going to jeopardise that. In fact if you manage it correctly you could give him 15-20 minutes in NRL and a longer stint in ISC.

I don't really understand the Broncos thought process with Paix. Brisbane had one of the best dummy half prospects in the game and they let him go the Tigers where he's been killing it in Canterbury Cup. Then on the weekend he gets an opportunity in first grade and he makes an immediate influence over their team. Meanwhile Brisbane are still trying to manufacture Paix who's best skill so far has been his support play.

It just reminds me of the Ben Hunt situation all over again where they decided he was a dummy half way too early in his development.

Turns out Hook was right though, Hunt is a really good dummy half, could have become elite in that position.

Turns out Hook was right though, Hunt is a really good dummy half, could have become elite in that position.
I disagree.

While his style of play leant itself to the dummy half position, quality halves prospects don't grow on trees and Brisbane had one of the best in Hunt. Instead of developing that part of his game and giving themselves a wealth of options to pick through the decision to stick Hunt in as a full-time utility was a waste of time.

Sure the 14 can be a valuable tool to help get young halves used to the intensity of first grade but eventually you have to make a commitment and get them used to a role. Hunt's formative years were wasted and he showed in 2014-15 what the Broncos had been missing.

Dummy half is always a decent back-up option for halves if they can't make it. It's something that the Broncos could have looked at in 2013-14 if things weren't working, but Hook went straight to it in 2011 and then back-peddled. Who knows how good Hunt could have been if they committed to him as a 7.

It wasn't like the Broncos were short on dummy half options either with Kurt Baptiste and Jake Granville coming through.

I’ve said it before, not fussed at all if we lose Dearden. He hasn’t done anything that screams future star, and I’m sick of spending money on potential only for them to leave once they start to do any good. Best of luck to him, I’m sure he’s a good bloke and maybe he will be a star, but we need to get better now and be able to hold on to some of our players who already have shown promise like Haas, Staggs, Coates, Bullemore etc. these guys are going to stick around if we aren’t getting wins, and someone like Reynolds is going to get us more wins than Dearden will over the next 2 years.

In saying that, I’m fairly confident we will end up with egg on our face again. Dearden and Townsend will go to cowboys, Reynolds will go to sharks, and we will end up stuck needing to renew Milford...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Fatboy
  • kiwibronco
  • something
  • Jazza
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Broncosgirl
  • eggstar10
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • BroncosAlways
  • Lozza
  • MrTickyMcG
  • IceWorks
  • Dony Eliakim
  • broncotville
  • Johnny92
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Battler
  • Adammacca
... and 30 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.