Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
He's also drops the ball like he's the love child of Corey Oates and Tom Flegler.

He generally isn't bad in that respect, but I definitely saw him a couple of times this year drop the ball a fair bit.

Waynesaurus

Waynesaurus

NRL Captain
Jun 3, 2013
If anyone watched Drinkwater at 6 for the Cows there is no way on earth they would want him at 6 for us. His defence made James Maloney look like Tonie Carroll.

Drinkwater's best games have been at fullback, I would not sign him to be half.

Last edited:

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Kelly Training - probably just above min wage?
Mead - No idea, 250?
Copely, is it even confirmed? 250?
Asiata, is it even confirmed? - 500?

Train and trial deals are most of the time nothing- you're trying out for a spot.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Train and trial deals are most of the time nothing- you're trying out for a spot.
I am assuming he is successful in getting a spot.

Last edited:
Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
That's what we thought about Fifita till the Tits threw all that cash in his face. Cows may do the same with Dearden.
No I think if we are all being honest we were all worried that if Fifita had the money thrown at him he would leave... I know I was... I’m not to worried about Staggs and Dearden leaving... both are gonna get pix to their value here and both seem to have pretty close mates at the club especially Staggs with Turpin and Bullemor

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
I could maybe see him getting caught out in defence at centre. I would still have a view to develop him into a fullback long term.

1. Tesi Niu
  2. Anyone
  3. Herbie Farnworth
  4. Kotoni Staggs
  5. Xavier Coates
  6. Scott Drinkwater
  7. Thomas Dearden
I’d still prefer us to sign Billy Walters to play 6. Would save us a ton of cash after releasing Milford.

Billy has ripped his knee to pieces and won't be back until next year after a long time off it would be a bold move to sign him.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
Billy has ripped his knee to pieces and won't be back until next year after a long time off it would be a bold move to sign him.
That's a shame. Also was such a shame that Tyson Gamble was injured in his debut for us.

HarryAllan7

HarryAllan7

QCup Player
Jul 20, 2017
Allan doesn't do it for me... Not sure what you guys are seeing.
He benefitted from good halves play and structure at Souths at the back end of the season, and even then managed to look inexperienced and un-ready for first grade alot of the time in my opinion.
I don't rate Isaako particularly highly as a fullback, but I don't think Allan has shown anything Isaako hasn't.

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
We should probably be looking to who's off contract in 2021 to sign for the 2022 season.

2021 off contract team of potential broncos signings for 2022

1. Jahrome Hughes
2. Nene McDonald
3. Enari Tuala
4. Dane Gagai
5. Isaac Lumelume
6. Sam Walker
7. Tanah Boyd
8. Dylan Napa
9. Jazz Tevaga
10. Francis Molo
11. Kurt Capewell
12. Jaydn Su'a
13. Darryn Schonig
17. Thomas Mikeale

I'd take a fair few of these guys..

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
said it 100 times before, would take hughes at fb in less than a second. great player.

no chance he leaves melb anytime soon though.

it's annoying because he carved up for the blackhawks too, everyone could see he was a gun but needed a chance.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
said it 100 times before, would take hughes at fb in less than a second. great player.

no chance he leaves melb anytime soon though.

it's annoying because he carved up for the blackhawks too, everyone could see he was a gun but needed a chance.

also no chance he leaves to play fullback anymore ... he sees himself as a 7 now

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
Either one of Allan or Drinkwater would be a massive improvement over our current options. I think we’ve seen less of Allan’s potential, but the cows did move Drink around the park last year so it’s hard to say who has the most upside.

The most important thing is that we have cash on hand for when the actual guns are on the market in 2022. We won’t be in contention for the comp until either Turpin improves or we sign a top shelf hooker.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I still think Allan is getting a bit overhyped tbh. I saw him do a few things at fullback for the Rabbits in terms of his defensive efforts that Boyd got torn to shreds for on here. I wouldnt be offering him any more than $350k at the moment.

He does have a lot of good things in his game as well, I just dont think he has earned the right to a big contract just yet. We really need to get good value from our players by rewarding them when they achieve something, rather than just pay them based on potential.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The lack of qcup this year really hurt us.

If qcup was played we'd know:
- if Niu was a legitimate fullback option moving forward
- if Dearden was a legitimate halfback moving forward
- Best position for Bullemor (prop, lock, 2nd row)
- Best position for Riki (prop, 2nd row)
- if Paix had it in him as a hooker moving forward
- Coates as a winger or center

I have absolutely no doubt that 2020 was meant to be a bit of a holding pattern with all the young guys intended to play ISC to get some experience under their belt and figure out who was ready for NRL and slowly introduce them into the team whilst moving out the others.

There's complaints about how the storm seem to have a production line of talent and in the next line seeing calls to give up on Niu and whether Walsh can come into the team.

The young guys who did well over the last few years served an apprenticeship in ISC (Haas, Carrigan, Staggs, Herbie, Fifita, Isaako, etc.)... some may not have been a very long apprenticeship, but at least you had enough confidence in them being able to compete against men instead of being the biggest kid in high school.

I think the desperation for a fullback and other positions at the moment is basing the talent of Niu and anyone else on what they have shown in limited NRL games this year whilst ignoring that most of these guys haven't served an apprenticeship in qcup and their first taste of serious football is in the NRL against seasoned vets.

The trouble now is that recruitment have to make a decision on a whole bunch of guys off contract. Staggs is a proven talent so it's easier to put a value on him, but how do you put a value on Dearden, Coates, Niu, Piakura, Bullemor, etc. without knowing how they will adapt, but making sure the offer is reasonable enough to compete with other teams who are willing to take a gamble.

It's ok to gamble 1 or 2 positions, but gambling on half of a potential starting 13 is a huge risk and resulted in a wooden spoon this year.

We've also sold off any guys with NRL experience that could've acted as a placeholder in the 17 until the young guys were ready for NRL... so now some of these young guys will have to learn in the NRL or because they've had NRL experience they'll see a demotion to qcup as a negative and potentially look elsewhere (communication from the coach is key here).

I'm not sure who's at fault for the total shitshow that has been the transition of young guys into the team, but I feel they're still at the club. I don't think Seibold necessarily wanted to field the youngest most inexperienced team in the comp, but I doubt he stood up in meetings and demanded a stop to the exodus.

The unfortunate thing is the exodus is still going on... what experienced players we did have are slowly leaving as well (Bird, Offa potentially, Lodge if you believe rumours, on top of Kahu, Darius, etc.). Most will be happy, but we were also happy when Kniko, etc. were moved on.

Unfortunately we are in a position where we either decide that 2021 is a holding pattern and allow the young guys to go back to qcup with a war chest for 2022 to fill the holes OR we look to sign potentially less than ideal players that are available and lose guys who after serving an apprenticeship may become better than the guys we sign.

The calls for Allan is banking on what he's shown so far (in limited games at fullback but also a season on the wing in 2019) as being better than what Niu may become, but if we sign Allan then Niu has no pathway and would likely look elsewhere. Whereas if we play Isaako at fullback (as a capable placeholder), whilst Niu plays qcup we can see if he's a legitimate option heading into the future or if we need to make serious investment in 2022.

Personally I'm not sold on Allan as a long term fullback... but I'm not sold on Niu either. It would be good business if we could lock him down on a 12 month extension and reevaluate his value after a year in ISC, but he just signed a 12 month extension and may not want to wait around for a payday

Last edited:
N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I'm not sure who's at fault for the total shitshow that has been the transition of young guys into the team, but I feel they're still at the club. I don't think Seibold necessarily wanted to field the youngest most inexperienced team in the comp, but I doubt he stood up in meetings and demanded a stop to the exodus.

I don’t think anybody stopped Seibs from fielding the side he wanted.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I still think Allan is getting a bit overhyped tbh. I saw him do a few things at fullback for the Rabbits in terms of his defensive efforts that Boyd got torn to shreds for on here. I wouldnt be offering him any more than $350k at the moment.

He does have a lot of good things in his game as well, I just dont think he has earned the right to a big contract just yet. We really need to get good value from our players by rewarding them when they achieve something, rather than just pay them based on potential.
I think Allan is a little like Darius 2.0... although you're probably getting closer to Darius 2016 than Darius 2018-2020 tbf

I just dont see enough physicality or tackle breaking ability in his game as yet.

It seems all the good stuff he does is off the back of the sweep and I'm not sure that's enough for a fullback in the current climate.

A guy like CHN is good enough to finish off a sweep, but he also pops up everywhere else on the field.

Even Teddy is not all that good at ball playing but he has enough to finish off those plays... the value in Teddy is all the other stuff he brings which I think is more valuable in the current game

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I don’t think anybody stopped Seibs from fielding the side he wanted.
I think the R&R team were worried about losing juniors and floated the idea of releasing seniors to retain the young brigade... and Seibold's ego had him believe that he could get by with youth until they had enough experience in them to actually compete.

I dont think Seibold went to them and said release all the old guys... I can make something of this U20's team in the NRL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Lozza
  • Mustafur
  • Financeguy
  • Organix
  • Allo
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • eazy-duzzit
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.