Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
We aren’t signing SJ, we already got the marquee half we were after.
SJ is lucky the Sharks landed Hynes, they will need to re-sign him now. Bad news for Milford though, another option gone.

BRONXFAN

BRONXFAN

BRL Player
Jun 24, 2020
I really feel our spine could look something like
1. Dufty
6. B. Walters
7. Reynolds
9. Hodgson

I have this feeling that Kev wants Billy to be in the spine... he will keep staggs in the centres (personally feel its his best position)

BUTTTT I wouldn't mind seeing though :)
1. ANYONE- (with a good 6,7,9 any fb will do)
6. Johnson
7. Reynolds
9. Hodgson

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
I really feel our spine could look something like
1. Dufty
6. B. Walters
7. Reynolds
9. Hodgson

I have this feeling that Kev wants Billy to be in the spine... he will keep staggs in the centres (personally feel its his best position)

BUTTTT I wouldn't mind seeing though :)
1. ANYONE- (with a good 6,7,9 any fb will do)
6. Johnson
7. Reynolds
9. Hodgson
If Walters picks his son I would be off Kev and I bet players would also. Not a fan of coaches and sons, recipe for disaster/unrest.

Emanon

Emanon

QCup Player
Apr 26, 2021
I wouldn't mind seeing Croft tried at Fullback before before his contract expires at some point. He has the running and passing game to make it work, and would probably be there running in support. The only thing he would need to work on is defensive positioning and kick defusal.

It's crazy to think it might work, but it did for Lockyer, so you can never say never.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
The spine next year imo will be

Cobbo
Staggs
Reynolds
Turpin

I don’t think the timing around Cobbo re-signing and Hynes signing with Cronulla are a coincidence. Like Walsh before him, in putting the big sell on I would guess Kevvie has said he will get first crack at FB next year.

The only moves we might make could be a backup option for Staggs at 6, but maybe they see Mam coming on quicker then expected?

I do worry we may be repeating mistakes of the past & blooding these kids too quickly so we don’t lose them.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
What is the story with Croft, it looks lime his partner is in the UK, could there be a move to SL for him I wonder?

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
Losing out on Hynes just doubles down on the clusterfuck it was to lose Walsh the way we did. I think it is a huge setback on our rebuild. But in saying that, I think Sharks have paid overs.
Don't see a problem in paying overs to get the man your side needs. In reality it is the way of the Rugby League world these days. It’s about time we woke up and got on board.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Don't see a problem in paying overs to get the man your side needs. In reality it is the way of the Rugby League world these days. It’s about time we woke up and got on board.

only the poorly run clubs do that ... because the fact is that paying overs ends up fucking your cap and side in the long run

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I think you could be partially right. We could say that another team paid overs for a player and we'll just wait another year for someone better...but then someone is going to offer that player overs as well, its not going to stop. Broncos got lucky with Reynolds (assuming he lives up to the expectations here), but more often than not, I think they are just going to get outbid unless they offer overs as well. That's probably going to keep happening until the Broncos can be as successful as the Storm or the Roosters.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Hopefully mam continues to progress well in ISC for the remainder of the season and get a few more games under his belt against men.

If we could then transition him into the squad next year to partner reynolds (i am not convinced staggs at 6 will work) we would have the senior game managing half working with a younger running/ball playing/supporting half. When reynolds retires he has had several good years being mentored by reynolds and is equipped to take the team over.

If mam requires more time, croft would not be the worst interim working with reynolds.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
We should use the money we were going to use to sign Hynes and give it to Hodgson. He'll be an upgrade on Turpin. Preference would be Brandon Smith, but that seems more unlikely as time goes on. He's not leaving Storm anytime soon.

Then we should give Cameron Smith a blank check and tell him to write whatever figure he wants on there to come on board in a mentor capacity to mentor Paix and another young hooker.

As for fullback, I would stick with Isaako at the moment just as a stop-gap until Cobbo can develop more in the role.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I really feel like we need Dufty even if it’s for a season or two... so many people are worried whether he will be good but he’s not in a good system right now if he comes to us it won’t change his ability. That way Cobbo can keep progressing in first grade and then move into fullback position also then we have Isaako at wing. The way I see it is we have a few options:
1. Dufty
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
9. Turpin

1. Dufty
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds
9. Hodgson

1. Cobbo
2. Farnworth
3. Staggs
6. Mam/Johnson
7. Reynolds
9. Hodgson/Turpin

B

broncomax

NYC Player
Oct 5, 2013
Lets put things into perspective regarding Hynes.
Played 22 NRL games cost 600k
Reynolds played 217 NRL games cost 750k. Hello!
Take Hynes out of the Storm system and see how well he goes. Same applies to JAC at the Dogs too. Not many players who leave the Storm go on with it which is why they usually end up going back there. Should we also consider a play for Moylan? I know he is injury prone but looks like he is on the outer at the Sharkies and he is an experienced FB. Also can Karmichael still be an FB?

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Lets put things into perspective regarding Hynes.
Played 22 NRL games cost 600k
Reynolds played 217 NRL games cost 750k. Hello!
And of the games he’s started he’s played warriors, sharks, south’s, dragons, raiders, broncos. The quality of the competition is very poor this year with probably a dozen terrible teams and games routinely seeing blowout score lines. I would be apprehensive judging his form based on that and I think at $1.8m it’s a gamble he can do it at one of those terrible teams.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
@Sproj you know Hammer isn’t available until the end of 2022 right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Xzei
  • azza.79
  • KickHaas
  • Sproj
  • Skathen
  • The Strapper
  • Lostboy
  • Santa
  • Brotherdu
  • Battler
  • Fozz
  • broncs30
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.