Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
I don’t get the love for herbie. Seems iffy and I don’t think he’s fit enough for fullback. Seems gassed quite a lot and then let’s people run around him In defence.
Don't think he's fit enough... he constantly leads the preseason fitness trials.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
We have Cobbo/Mead/Oates/Isaako/Arthars that can cover wing.

Cobbo could probably be gradually brought into the fullback role.

Herbie and Staggs at centre.

All we need is a 6.......Its not red alert button yet.

If we had any sense, if we see Cobbo as our long term fullback, we would try to get him somewhere in ISC where he can have a full year playing in the position to aid his development.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I just hope we don’t panic and buy a Dufty on overs. A Dufty on 300k would be great though.

That said, as I’ve mentioned repeatedly, for me it’s Hammer we should be chasing. Give him a shot at the back, if he doesn’t take it we have our own Addo-Carr.

I also suspect someone who isn’t available yet will pop up, it always happens, just be ready to pounce when it does.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
If we had any sense, if we see Cobbo as our long term fullback, we would try to get him somewhere in ISC where he can have a full year playing in the position to aid his development.
Hasn't he been playing fullback for Wynnum... or is that only injury cover?

I think broncos will now push hard on Cobbo's development... Walsh gone, miss out on Hynes, Isaako not exactly killing it and now no one on the market except Dufty.

He seems as good an option as any given he's internal

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
Or we could just give Cobbo his chance over the off-season to take it from Isaako. I must confess I have not seen a lot of Cobbo so can't say if he can defend or not. But Isaako needs to improve or move to the wing. Dufty is an option but can he play anywhere else is the question, if he craps the bed he is not a player that just slots into a new role. It's a risk, and maybe more of a risk then just letting Cobbo and Isaako fight it out.

We have not seen Staggs play 5/8 so who knows what happens there. Turpin's situation is unclear as he has been captain but also pulled from the field twice this year. It will be interesting to see what the club does from here. Because the only guys I would even look at are Dufty, SJ and maybe at a pinch Moylan. Moylan offers two positions 5/8 and FB. Hynes going to Cronulla would put him on the outer and SJ in the box for 7 right.

If we come in and make a play for SJ to partner Reynolds that could give us the strike + control we need in the halfs. If Kelly improves over the next month maybe we just renew him to partner Reynolds, but it doesn't scream contender. It is a real headache to be honest and I don't envy DD and KW.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Or we could just give Cobbo his chance over the off-season to take it from Isaako. I must confess I have not seen a lot of Cobbo so can't say if he can defend or not. But Isaako needs to improve or move to the wing. Dufty is an option but can he play anywhere else is the question, if he craps the bed he is not a player that just slots into a new role. It's a risk, and maybe more of a risk then just letting Cobbo and Isaako fight it out.

We have not seen Staggs play 5/8 so who knows what happens there. Turpin's situation is unclear as he has been captain but also pulled from the field twice this year. It will be interesting to see what the club does from here. Because the only guys I would even look at are Dufty, SJ and maybe at a pinch Moylan. Moylan offers two positions 5/8 and FB. Hynes going to Cronulla would put him on the outer and SJ in the box for 7 right.

If we come in and make a play for SJ to partner Reynolds that could give us the strike + control we need in the halfs. If Kelly improves over the next month maybe we just renew him to partner Reynolds, but it doesn't scream contender. It is a real headache to be honest and I don't envy DD and KW.
I don't think Moylan can play fullback anymore... on the weekend he had a linebreak but kept it in 2nd gear in the fear he would blow out his hammy, ended up getting chased down by a prop who had to turn and chase.

I would definitely be going hard for SJ... the other thing that he brings is being a back up 7 and goal kicker if Reynolds does get injured.

I'd also be looking to re-sign Kelly on a cheap deal, but would give it a few more weeks to see how his form goes and how he continues to cope with NRL.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Hasn't he been playing fullback for Wynnum... or is that only injury cover?

I think broncos will now push hard on Cobbo's development... Walsh gone, miss out on Hynes, Isaako not exactly killing it and now no one on the market except Dufty.

He seems as good an option as any given he's internal

Yep, absolutely he has, apart from one game. I worded it badly, but i mean after this year. Give him plenty of development in ISC unless for some reason forces his way into our NRL side.

B

broncoscope

NYC Player
Feb 14, 2014
Yeah ,i'm on the SJ train...
I think him and Reynolds would be a great halves combo as i'm not really sold on Staggs as 5/8.
Keep Isaako at fullback until Cobbo is ready , which hopefully is sooner rather than later.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
We have big Question marks all over our spine and it all comes down to who Kev thinks can improve and who he has belief in.

9 -Turpin- No real next year options, I feel we can get by with Turps.

7- Reynolds- will give us control and elite kicking game

6- Staggs- provides a great running game, can short kick but his style is about self creation, never seen the bloke create anything for anyone else. But if he can he could cause havoc like Munster does running around all over the place.
6- SJ -good kicking, passing and running game but has had his share of injury (so has Staggs)
6- Moylan- known for a bad attitude, can create, can kick and is a good runner of the ball (also injury
prone)
6- Gamble- Crazy bloke (love it), can pass, can kick, can defend but is not elite. But you don't always need elite. Could be a solid 14 or 13 for us also
6- Kelly- Can pass defend and kick, I have liked what i have seen but just not enough yet. I just like how busy he is to be honest. He has a lot to give a side if given the chance.

1- Isaako- can be a freak with ball in hand, often looks confused/surprised that he did what he did, has shown some improvement in his ball playing. Has been shown to have issues in defensive positioning, very poor defender really, no in play kicking game. ( Would he be Hoffman and spit the dummy if moved)
1- Cobbo- ? Looked good in our trial match, some even thought he looked better then Walsh on the night, Looks to be a great runner of the ball, I have no clue about his passing, kicking or defending.
1- Herbie- great runner of the ball, is a bit up and down with defense. Have not seen a kicking or passing game. ( Who replaces him if moved, is it worth weakening one position for another)
1- Dufty- Speed for days, great passing skills, unsure on kicking, weak defender and is known to fumble kicks (Isaako also known for durping it up at times). Probably has the most upside in the short term as Cobbo comes of age.

Its the 6 and 1 that are our big must fix issues for next year, not many options on the market now and in house a lot of ?? marks.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Again, our club needs to not panic, that’s the most important thing, aside of course from buying a certain Marvel hero’s tool.
Are we worthy?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
well done Sharkies ... you got one back on us by signing a player we wanted.

unfortunately for you, you had to pay overs to get a player that's not what you needed

p.s. good to see the BHQ panic return because we didn't pay overs for a player

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Not when you compare him to the value we’ve gotten from Milf, or Bird. But yeah, Well done Nicho!
But that’s my point, those players have shown how much trouble you get in paying players overs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Galah
  • mitch222
  • LittleDavey
  • ezpz
  • Stix
  • winslow_wong
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncoFan94
  • Santa
  • Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • Nerd
  • Johnny92
  • KickHaas
  • Morkel
  • Aldo
  • mrslong
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Organix
... and 44 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.