Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long post incoming, so I apologize for that.

This is how I see the upcoming season. I don't see us in as big of a mess as people would have you believe, although, we don't have a great deal of depth, so another lengthy injury list will kill our season.

I'm predicting a 6-8 finish, with a first round finals exit

Fullback
Isaako should get first crack here. yes, he had a crap year both professionally and personally. but, IMO, he is the best we have right now. The strategy to making him successful at the back will be the game plan and style we utilize. he has good footwork and a bit of speed, but lacks a play making game. so he needs to model himself more on a Tedesco style fullback than a Ponga style fullback.

Wing
We have 2 young and talented wingers on our books in Coates and Farnworth. I do think we need to utilize Coates aerial ability more than we have in the past.

Centers
Staggs is a no brainer, very competitive, deceptively strong and quick. reminds me a lot of another great Bronco, Shaun Berrigan.
the other center will be a somewhat more controversial choice, but one I have always had big raps on, and that is Dale Copley. IMO, he was about to really take off as a strike center for us, he scored 16 tries in 2014, before we pushed him out to sign Roberts. yes, he has had issue with his hands and injuries. but I think he will prove a few doubters wrong in 2021. only 29, so still has 3-4 years left in his career.

Halves
Dearden and Milford. having Kevvie at the club will do wonders for Dearden's development; and hopefully Kevvie knows where the 2015/16 Milford has been hiding and is on his way to retrieve him right now. Contract year for Milford, so he could have a cracker season.

Prop rotation
Haas, Lodge, Carrigan and Flegler can be the best prop rotation in the game IMO. Depending on the game situation we should do our best to limit their game time to no more than 60 mins a match. we don't want to burn these guys out.

Hooker
I'm not sold on Turpin, but i think he is better than Macca

backrow
go with Glenn, TPJ and Asiata (pending signing). I'd actually rather TPJ on the bench to provide some impact, but i think we're a bit short in depth there so he needs to start, with Bullemore and Riki fighting it out for the bench back row position

captain
another possible controversial selection, but IMO Lodge should be the captain of this side. we really missed his leadership on the field in 2020. I would be surprised if it happened for a number of reasons; firstly. the PR nightmare as the media would continually re-hash his New York incident, despite him not putting a foot wrong for over 5 years. the second reason, is that I don't think Kevvie (and recruitment) are convinced someone with his body shape can thrive in the current NRL 6-again environment

further 2021 signings
it is a skinny market for 2021, but Asiata would be a good signing as he would add a bit of variety to our pack. other than him i'd look at Tim Lafai or Ricky Leutele on a 1 year minimum wage deal to add a bit of depth to our backline and maybe a Pulu (also 1 yr, minimum wage) to add a bit of depth to our pack

2022 re-signings
Dearden, Coates and Staggs should be our priorities. If Milf returns to his 2015 form, i'd re-sign him as well, just not for $1 million

2022 priority signings
fullback, hooker and backrow should be our priorities. so i'd target the following:

Fullback - Drinkwater (my preference), Allen or Hughes (only if he is prepared to play fullback)

Hooker - not much quality, but i'd negotiate with the Storm and make an offer to try and get Brandon Smith. he wants to play hooker, but won't get a look in while Grant is there

Backrow - Capewell, Su'a (if he keeps up his form from the final 6 weeks of 2020), maybe Crichton

FOORDY's 2021 FULL STRENGTH BRISBANE BRONCOS LINEUP

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Dale Copley
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge (c)
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jnr
13. John Asiata

14. Corey Paix/ Andrew McCullough
15. Pat Carrigan
16. Thom Flegler
17. Jordan Riki
May have been long but I completely agree with you... best predicted side I have seen so far

This is how I see the upcoming season. I don't see us in as big of a mess as people would have you believe, although, we don't have a great deal of depth, so another lengthy injury list will kill our season.

Fullback
Isaako should get first crack here. yes, he had a crap year both professionally and personally. but, IMO, he is the best we have right now. The strategy to making him successful at the back will be the game plan and style we utilize. he has good footwork and a bit of speed, but lacks a play making game. so he needs to model himself more on a Tedesco style fullback than a Ponga style fullback.

Wing
We have 2 young and talented wingers on our books in Coates and Farnworth. I do think we need to utilize Coates aerial ability more than we have in the past.

Centers
Staggs is a no brainer, very competitive, deceptively strong and quick. reminds me a lot of another great Bronco, Shaun Berrigan.
the other center will be a somewhat more controversial choice, but one I have always had big raps on, and that is Dale Copley. IMO, he was about to really take off as a strike center for us, he scored 16 tries in 2014, before we pushed him out to sign Roberts. yes, he has had issue with his hands and injuries. but I think he will prove a few doubters wrong in 2021. only 29, so still has 3-4 years left in his career.

Halves
Dearden and Milford. having Kevvie at the club will do wonders for Dearden's development; and hopefully Kevvie knows where the 2015/16 Milford has been hiding and is on his way to retrieve him right now. Contract year for Milford, so he could have a cracker season.

Prop rotation
Haas, Lodge, Carrigan and Flegler can be the best prop rotation in the game IMO. Depending on the game situation we should do our best to limit their game time to no more than 60 mins a match. we don't want to burn these guys out.

Hooker

backrow
go with Glenn, TPJ and Asiata (pending signing). I'd actually rather TPJ on the bench to provide some impact, but i think we're a bit short in depth there so he needs to start, with Bullemore and Riki fighting it out for the bench back row position

captain
another possible controversial selection, but IMO Lodge should be the captain of this side. we really missed his leadership on the field in 2020. I would be surprised if it happened for a number of reasons; firstly. the PR nightmare as the media would continually re-hash his New York incident, despite him not putting a foot wrong for over 5 years. the second reason, is that I don't think Kevvie (and recruitment) are convinced someone with his body shape can thrive in the current NRL 6-again environment

further 2021 signings
it is a skinny market for 2021, but Asiata would be a good signing as he would add a bit of variety to our pack. other than him i'd look at Tim Lafai or Ricky Leutele on a 1 year minimum wage deal to add a bit of depth to our backline and maybe a Pulu (also 1 yr, minimum wage) to add a bit of depth to our pack

2022 re-signings
Dearden, Coates and Staggs should be our priorities. If Milf returns to his 2015 form, i'd re-sign him as well, just not for $1 million

2022 priority signings
fullback, hooker and backrow should be our priorities. so i'd target the following:

Fullback - Drinkwater (my preference), Allen or Hughes (only if he is prepared to play fullback)

Hooker - not much quality, but i'd negotiate with the Storm and make an offer to try and get Brandon Smith. he wants to play hooker, but won't get a look in while Grant is there

Backrow - Capewell, Su'a (if he keeps up his form from the final 6 weeks of 2020), maybe Crichton

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Dale Copley
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge (c)
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jnr
13. John Asiata

15. Pat Carrigan
16. Thom Flegler
17. Jordan Riki
Also with that side the only limitations is our defence and to succeed Isaako and Milford need to play well... finally don’t believe Lodge will be captain, I agree he probably should but he wont

No to Lodge as captain. I don’t even want him at the club.

No to Glenn starting. You forgot Corey Oates. I think Kev should start him in the backrow.
Corey Oates is shit... either give him another chance on the wing or see ya later and Glenn has to start cause there’s no point playing him on the bench cause he has **** all versatility so why play him as a replacement for second rowers who are gonna play 80 mins

Fullback

Wing

Centers

Halves

Prop rotation

Hooker

backrow

captain

further 2021 signings

2022 re-signings

2022 priority signings

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Dale Copley
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge (c)
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jnr
13. John Asiata

15. Pat Carrigan
16. Thom Flegler
17. Jordan Riki
It's not full of stars but your right it is not as bad has been made out.

He’s solid enough. I like the signing. He’ll be on minimum wage.
I dont think he is all that solid to be honest... you mentioned that he had some good years at the titans but I can only recall them shuffling him around every part of their pack and him never being able to lock a spot down. I don't recall them putting up much of a fight to retain him from the warriors either

He looks like a guy that should have high impact, but he seemed undersized or not physical enough at prop and not athletic or explosive enough to play second row.

I think titans played him as a second rower in his debut year before throwing him to the prop/middle rotation and potentially then the bench.

When he went to the warriors I think he didn't have much of an impact after arriving, then got injured and just faded off to obscurity... I kept forgetting that he played for them, because he spent most of the time in reserve grade

I'd probably have just about every one of our forwards ahead of him

Last edited:

Fullback

Wing

Centers

Halves

Prop rotation

Hooker

backrow

captain

further 2021 signings

2022 re-signings

2022 priority signings

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Dale Copley
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge (c)
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jnr
13. John Asiata

15. Pat Carrigan
16. Thom Flegler
17. Jordan Riki
Our season will automatically be better if we have even an ounce of luck with injuries. 4 of the 5 who played for us this year out of the starting pack in that side you put up there played less then 10 games, along with flegler.
QLD cup being called off, the break and bubble, and the sudden rule changes also effected us more then any other team with it being the youngest with no accountability from all reports. These are all things that will not be there this year.

It's not as grim as it seems, but ffs it still feels grim....

Fullback

Wing

Centers

Halves

Prop rotation

Hooker

backrow

captain

further 2021 signings

2022 re-signings

2022 priority signings

1. Jamayne Isaako
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Dale Copley
4. Kotoni Staggs
5. Xavier Coates
6. Anthony Milford
7. Tom Dearden
8. Matt Lodge (c)
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jnr
13. John Asiata

15. Pat Carrigan
16. Thom Flegler
17. Jordan Riki
Good post. Who would you have playing centre until Staggs is fit?

Good post. Who would you have playing centre until Staggs is fit?

tough one.

from what we have now probably Niu. but wouldn't be against Kennar or Arthars.

the other option could be Farnworth, with Oates, Kennar or Arthars on the wing ... but as I see Farnworth's best position for us long term being wing, i'd prefer he stay there and get settled into the position. I don't want him to be another one of those versatile CTW who struggles because we move them all around the backline

I dont think he is all that solid to be honest... you mentioned that he had some good years at the titans but I can only recall them shuffling him around every part of their pack and him never being able to lock a spot down. I don't recall them putting up much of a fight to retain him from the warriors either

He looks like a guy that should have high impact, but he seemed undersized or not physical enough at prop and not athletic or explosive enough to play second row.

I think titans played him as a second rower in his debut year before throwing him to the prop/middle rotation and potentially then the bench.

When he went to the warriors I think he didn't have much of an impact after arriving, then got injured and just faded off to obscurity... I kept forgetting that he played for them, because he spent most of the time in reserve grade

I'd probably have just about every one of our forwards ahead of him
Well, from my memory he was great for Titans alongside Agnatius Paasi. Then they got poached by Warriors. I think Warriors were paying them quite a lot based on that form too.

I really do think he's a solid buy for the little he will cost.

Has more life experience than about half our squad combined. Kelly and Pulu could offer some really good advice to our younger players who may not be taking this all very seriously or may not realise how lucky they are to be playing for the Broncos in the NRL.

Well, from my memory he was great for Titans alongside Agnatius Paasi. Then they got poached by Warriors. I think Warriors were paying them quite a lot based on that form too.

Paasi certainly wasn't bad in patches. Calling Pulu great is a bit more of a stretch though.

Paasi certainly wasn't bad in patches. Calling Pulu great is a bit more of a stretch though.
They were both playing great for the Titans at a time where Titans really needed them to. I'm not calling for Pulu to be the next immortal or anything obviously.

I think @BroncsFan was right in that Pulu got moved around a bit. Still remember him tying up the game against the Sharks the year they won the premiership though 'ending' their big win streak. Taia was consistent and Paasi was solid, but I feel Pulu might have been up and down.

Edit: Just checked may have been another sharks game around that time. Mead was playing FB then too for us if anyone is interested to see how he at least used to travel back there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Locky's Left Boot
  • Old Mate
  • Sproj
  • kiwi2
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Bish
  • westy316
  • Aldo
  • Gaz
  • Lozza
  • broncos4life
  • rj9
  • sooticus
  • broncsfan88
  • Shane Tronc
  • Big Del
  • Spike
  • theshed
  • eggstar10
  • Jazza
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.