Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
assuming we get Gagai ... this is the backline i'd love to see run out in round 1

1. Niu
2. Cobbo
3. Gagai
4. Staggs
5. Oates
6. Kelly
7. Reynolds

plenty of strike power in that backline IMO
That’s not gonna happen. It’ll be like this.
1. Niu
2. Oates
3. Gagai
4. Lee
5. Farnworth
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds

still a lot of strike power but you just can’t deny that this will be the backline. Lee will be playing for sure, he has been treated like a marquee signing and Farnworth will play over Cobbo. Finally Staggs will be the 6! Nobody else will be playing 6

That’s not gonna happen. It’ll be like this.
1. Niu
2. Oates
3. Gagai
4. Lee
5. Farnworth
6. Staggs
7. Reynolds

still a lot of strike power but you just can’t deny that this will be the backline. Lee will be playing for sure, he has been treated like a marquee signing and Farnworth will play over Cobbo. Finally Staggs will be the 6! Nobody else will be playing 6

can't believe i forgot Herbie

Yeah but usually they’re basket cases that aren’t ‘young prodigies’ by the time they end up at the storm. A bloke like Trent Loiero is 20 and has played barely any reserve grade. He was a qld junior. If Howarth was playing well he would have had his opportunities as well. They cave just as easily as us with young “stars”, they just don’t have as many. They’re main tactic over the years has been bring through matured men with potential and work ethic

I cant think of many younger players who have left Melbourne and gone on to achieve really good things tbh. Genuine question, who have they ever caved to? You can go back to Slater, Cam Smith, Cronk, Inglis through to Grant, B.Smith, Bromwich, Olam, Munster and even players like Kamikamica who have had plenty of time in ISC. They just dont rush players like we do.

I cant think of many younger players who have left Melbourne and gone on to achieve really good things tbh. Genuine question, who have they ever caved to? You can go back to Slater, Cam Smith, Cronk, Inglis through to Grant, B.Smith, Bromwich, Olam, Munster and even players like Kamikamica who have had plenty of time in ISC. They just dont rush players like we do.
Trent & Dean this year, Tino as well. Brandon wasn’t that good coming out of school and they’ve only signed basket cases or project pieces that were nowhere near debuting. They don’t sign very many quality kids out of school so they don’t but when they have, they’re not very patient. Like some of the youngsters they got on their books at the moment aren’t even good enough to play reserve grade, and they aren’t playing reserve grade.

I agree with Christian Welch that it is not that players are worse players at other clubs it is just they go to different systems that are not as effective. Its also why when they bring in players from other clubs and improve them substantially.That's our big problem our attacking and defensive systems need a lot of work . However, we also have player issues too.

I’d say we’ll just promote from within and hopefully front load some other contracts.
Do we have enough players to promote from within? Josh James, Tass, Willison, Jotham Russell, Logan Bayliss Brow, Ezra Mam, Xavier Va'a and Blake Mozer all being moved into the top 3 would be a disaster

Trent & Dean this year, Tino as well. Brandon wasn’t that good coming out of school and they’ve only signed basket cases or project pieces that were nowhere near debuting. They don’t sign very many quality kids out of school so they don’t but when they have, they’re not very patient. Like some of the youngsters they got on their books at the moment aren’t even good enough to play reserve grade, and they aren’t playing reserve grade.

Cant agree on Tino or Brandon Smith, Tino played a good couple of years in ISC for the Falcons after he left us for Melbourne and Brandon Smith was one of the best hookers around and was named hooker of the year before he left Townsville to go to the Storm. I think the Storm have proved when they get a player that fits the bill they nurture them brilliantly. You dont have to recruit directly from school to be able to develop what they have well. You dont have the production line of talent they do without knowing what you are doing. I honestly cant see how they havent been patient when the majority of their best players would all play a solid year or so in ISC.

I agree with Christian Welch that it is not that players are worse players at other clubs it is just they go to different systems that are not as effective. Its also why when they bring in players from other clubs and improve them substantially.That's our big problem our attacking and defensive systems need a lot of work . However, we also have player issues too.

They have a set of structures and a system every player is drilled in. Its clear we dont.

Cant agree on Tino or Brandon Smith, Tino played a good couple of years in ISC for the Falcons after he left us for Melbourne and Brandon Smith was one of the best hookers around and was named hooker of the year before he left Townsville to go to the Storm. I think the Storm have proved when they get a player that fits the bill they nurture them brilliantly. You dont have to recruit directly from school to be able to develop what they have well. You dont have the production line of talent they do without knowing what you are doing. I honestly cant see how they havent been patient when the majority of their best players would all play a solid year or so in ISC.
Smith was also playing schoolboys for qld.
When they recruit a matured/journeyman type player they do it to fill a hole and do a job much like a 2006 shane perry. they don't go buying players for no reason with no idea where they will fit like a jack bird.
When they nurture a player in through ISC like a hynes they come in knowing exactly what their doing its a next man up sort of thing.
I know when Munster come in they changed the way they played to suit Munster at fullback. They work with a players strengths to get the best out of them.

Exactly! your just proving my point that you can't compare us with them when they have such limited players out of school. I swear you choose to only read what you want. The point is that they're players are obviously playing more reserve grade if they are being picked up at the age of 22,22,23, what the **** else would they be doing? Also your Tino point is invalid he debuted at 19 that's no earlier than most of our players, Payne, Coates, Dearden and Niu are the only ones to debut at 18 and all of them were in a small capacity (e.g. less than 5 games). We get some of the best players out of school and we are expected to stash out 400-500k before debuting to keep them and admittedly there not ready, its so stupid. You can't develop players slowly or they leave for a larger deal elsewhere and then we get slammed for the players we lose, and as a result our recruitment and retention habits changing because of it and we become a basket case like we are now. I personally don't think you can compare our club with any other in the competition because there is nowhere near as much hype, scrutiny and advertisement over the players we have and their 'ability'. It's unrivalled. What comes with these puff pieces? Arrogant teenagers who shouldn't be playing first grade for a number of years, admittedly. But if we want to keep them, than they must play. Its disappointing but its play them or lose them, thats the reality.

Exactly! your just proving my point that you can't compare us with them when they have such limited players out of school. I swear you choose to only read what you want. The point is that they're players are obviously playing more reserve grade if they are being picked up at the age of 22,22,23, what the **** else would they be doing? Also your Tino point is invalid he debuted at 19 that's no earlier than most of our players, Payne, Coates, Dearden and Niu are the only ones to debut at 18 and all of them were in a small capacity (e.g. less than 5 games). We get some of the best players out of school and we are expected to stash out 400-500k before debuting to keep them and admittedly there not ready, its so stupid. You can't develop players slowly or they leave for a larger deal elsewhere and then we get slammed for the players we lose, and as a result our recruitment and retention habits changing because of it and we become a basket case like we are now. I personally don't think you can compare our club with any other in the competition because there is nowhere near as much hype, scrutiny and advertisement over the players we have and their 'ability'. It's unrivalled. What comes with these puff pieces? Arrogant teenagers who shouldn't be playing first grade for a number of years, admittedly. But if we want to keep them, than they must play. Its disappointing but its play them or lose them, thats the reality.
Ok cupcake. Jog on

Do we have enough players to promote from within? Josh James, Tass, Willison, Jotham Russell, Logan Bayliss Brow, Ezra Mam, Xavier Va'a and Blake Mozer all being moved into the top 3 would be a disaster
Josh James will get the boot, Tass, Willison and bayliss Brow might get upgrades but ezra, va'a, mozer, packer and Mariner will be fighting for development contracts. Is it a 4 player restriction on development players or can you go crazy with them

He's gonna collapse into mediocrity as soon as he leaves Melbourne's eco system anyway
I'm sorry but that will likely not be the case for Finucane. Fair enough if you said hynes or someone like that but Finucane isn't the sort of player that relies on their system. He is very, very good player that doesn't rely on craig bellamy to succeed.

Smith was also playing schoolboys for qld.
When they recruit a matured/journeyman type player they do it to fill a hole and do a job much like a 2006 shane perry. they don't go buying players for no reason with no idea where they will fit like a jack bird.
When they nurture a player in through ISC like a hynes they come in knowing exactly what their doing its a next man up sort of thing.
I know when Munster come in they changed the way they played to suit Munster at fullback. They work with a players strengths to get the best out of them.
Exactly. I don't know why people are going on about recruiting from school as if it's the only development that matters. Storm take players and develop them into what they need no matter what's the age. Fitzy seems think its only players coming out of school that matter for some odd reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • mrslong
  • Santa
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Wolfie
  • Dazza 92
  • Evander
  • Jazza
  • Johnny92
  • Xzei
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • The True King
  • ChewThePhatt
  • GCBRONCO
  • bb_gun
  • Culhwch
  • Locky's Left Boot
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.