Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could possibly be right, but then i look at what Melbourne do, and look at what Penrith have done with the likes of Burton and Luai for example and i think there is still hope if as a club you can show the player the system works, even if it might mean taking a hit financially at first.
Even in the case of Luai and Burton, I'm pretty sure Burton had only played a month of NSW Cup before he was blooded into the NRL. Penrith tried their best to fast-track his development and even then he went and signed with another club the first opportunity he got.

Luai is slightly different but even then, Penrith were playing him off their bench even though it was a detriment to the team just to keep him satisfied.

Even in the case of Luai and Burton, I'm pretty sure Burton had only played a month of NSW Cup before he was blooded into the NRL. Penrith tried their best to fast-track his development and even then he went and signed with another club the first opportunity he got.

Luai is slightly different but even then, Penrith were playing him off their bench even though it was a detriment to the team just to keep him satisfied.

They gradually increased Luai's involvement iirc every year, which isnt a bad way to integrate a player if you can and i think he did get a fair amount of games when one of their halves got injured iirc. They clearly had the plan to have him just replace Maloney and they must have felt the way they were doing it was the best long term plan for them. I do think there is a difference between blooding a player and putting them in the NRL 17 regularly at a young age.

Burton i still think is a bit different as he had young halves around him and Penrith obviously chose Luai and Cleary in front of him. I think if they didnt have those two at the age they are he would be staying at Penrith. He wants to play 6.

I think the main point though is Penrith allowed these players to develop and didnt just pick them to get them to sign a contract. There are probably good examples at others clubs as well. I just dont see any club successfully developing an 18-19 year old by playing him week in week out in the NRL unless he is a very, very special talent. I'll always be of the opinion that these players need at least one good year in ISC to aid them in their development. Thats the reason i think we did the right thing with Walsh even though we lost him.

They gradually increased Luai's involvement iirc every year, which isnt a bad way to integrate a player if you can and i think he did get a fair amount of games when one of their halves got injured iirc. They clearly had the plan to have him just replace Maloney and they must have felt the way they were doing it was the best long term plan for them. I do think there is a difference between blooding a player and putting them in the NRL 17 regularly at a young age.

Burton i still think is a bit different as he had young halves around him and Penrith obviously chose Luai and Cleary in front of him. I think if they didnt have those two at the age they are he would be staying at Penrith. He wants to play 6.

I think the main point though is Penrith allowed these players to develop and didnt just pick them to get them to sign a contract. There are probably good examples at others clubs as well. I just dont see any club successfully developing an 18-19 year old by playing him week in week out in the NRL unless he is a very, very special talent. I'll always be of the opinion that these players need at least one good year in ISC to aid them in their development. Thats the reason i think we did the right thing with Walsh even though we lost him.
Maybe it just becomes as simple as the club via the coach, etc. set a mandate with juniors that they will do an "apprenticeship" in the ISC for at least 1yr or a certain number of games before they will be picked in NRL.

The only caveat being if the injury toll is absolutely horrendous, but as soon as the injuries subside the senior player comes back in.

That way there is no favouring of players and there is a set directive from the club as to why young guys are promoted, demoted, etc.

"Why has Cobbo been dropped?"
"He hasn't been dropped, he's back in reserve grade because that is a philosophy that we have at this club. As a young player you serve your time in the lower grades before being promoted to first grade. There is no reward without first putting in the work and the young guys have to work hard to push those senior guys out of the position and earn the right"

If you go in with that mantra you can quite easily spell that out to any young player coming through. If a player chooses to leave because they want the reward before earning it you sure as shit spell that out to the playing group and anyone who asks... "player x wasnt keen on spending time in ISC to earn their place... we dont tolerate that kind of mindset here and so we were happy to let them go"

It becomes a mentality thing across the group where earning the jersey can actually mean something at the club (juniors trying to unseat the seniors and seniors trying to keep the kids at bay).

We seemingly have a conveyor belt of talent coming through each year (Atay>TBoyd>Paix>Dearden>Mam), so if a player doesnt want to bide their time then cya later we'll work with the next ones that do.

Maybe it just becomes as simple as the club via the coach, etc. set a mandate with juniors that they will do an "apprenticeship" in the ISC for at least 1yr or a certain number of games before they will be picked in NRL.

The only caveat being if the injury toll is absolutely horrendous, but as soon as the injuries subside the senior player comes back in.

That way there is no favouring of players and there is a set directive from the club as to why young guys are promoted, demoted, etc.

"Why has Cobbo been dropped?"
"He hasn't been dropped, he's back in reserve grade because that is a philosophy that we have at this club. As a young player you serve your time in the lower grades before being promoted to first grade. There is no reward without first putting in the work and the young guys have to work hard to push those senior guys out of the position and earn the right"

If you go in with that mantra you can quite easily spell that out to any young player coming through. If a player chooses to leave because they want the reward before earning it you sure as shit spell that out to the playing group and anyone who asks... "player x wasnt keen on spending time in ISC to earn their place... we dont tolerate that kind of mindset here and so we were happy to let them go"

It becomes a mentality thing across the group where earning the jersey can actually mean something at the club (juniors trying to unseat the seniors and seniors trying to keep the kids at bay).

We seemingly have a conveyor belt of talent coming through each year (Atay>TBoyd>Paix>Dearden>Mam), so if a player doesnt want to bide their time then cya later we'll work with the next ones that do.
TBoyd was a disappointment. Not only that he left but that he doesn't appear to have kicked on. At one point I thought he would be our next Alfie.

I got so much respect for Brodie, he took a risk came out of his comfort zone at Melbourne and came here to try and better his career. He has always had a good attitude to towards training but he just isn’t good enough. I wish him the best in England but we need cash ti resign Tesi. We have nobody better or anywhere near Tesi’s level currently. He lacks in a lot of areas but if we lose him we have got no chance at top 8 with some shit fullback. That’s just my take on the situation, we are all subject to different opinions on the matter but right now Tesi is so valuable to our season next year.

I got so much respect for Brodie, he took a risk came out of his comfort zone at Melbourne and came here to try and better his career. He has always had a good attitude to towards training but he just isn’t good enough. I wish him the best in England but we need cash ti resign Tesi. We have nobody better or anywhere near Tesi’s level currently. He lacks in a lot of areas but if we lose him we have got no chance at top 8 with some shit fullback. That’s just my take on the situation, we are all subject to different opinions on the matter but right now Tesi is so valuable to our season next year.
With all due respect, at this stage Tesi still is 'some shit Fullback'. He will hopefully improve, but at this point he'd still be fairly comfortably the poorest Fullback regularly starting at any of the 16 clubs.

I agree about Croft, he can be faulted for a lot of things but effort is never one of them. I just wish Milford had his attitude because then he wouldn't be washed up at 27.

As for Tesi, he is promising he really is and I would be happy to keep him for sure but I think he is a bit like Croft in that he seems to have a really good work ethic but maybe not the real top end talent that we need in the spine.

With all due respect, at this stage Tesi still is 'some shit Fullback'. He will hopefully improve, but at this point he'd still be fairly comfortably the poorest Fullback regularly starting at any of the 16 clubs.
I completely agree with what your saying but the fact is he is light years better than any fullback on the market or at our club. And the difference between him and 90% of the other starting Fullbacks is that he is 19.

I thought Tesi is going to Souths? Would seem likely to me.

413CB418 D002 4E3F B55C AF5A011AFEF5

We’re saying that we need the Brodie money to stop him from going to Souths

It would be stupid to give the Brodie money to Niu.

There was talk we still had 300k to sign a player for next year after we missed Gagai, without releasing Croft ... this is closer to the mark, but maybe even still a bit high

It would be stupid to give the Brodie money to Niu.

There was talk we still had 300k to sign a player for next year after we missed Gagai, without releasing Croft ... this is closer to the mark, but maybe even still a bit high
We’re only gonna get like 200k out of Brodie’s contract. You don’t go from not being able to sign Niu to signing a proper good player, ESPECIALLY when we don’t have a FULLBACK

We’re only gonna get like 200k out of Brodie’s contract. You don’t go from not being able to sign Niu to signing a proper good player, ESPECIALLY when we don’t have a FULLBACK

Niu has done well, but doesn't offer us anything at FULLBACK that we can't get from other players already on our roster. neither the Broncos nor Souths actually view him as a fullback, they view him as a center.

secondly i doubt we pay half of Brodies contract to go to the ESL UNLESS it allows us to sign a quality replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.