Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was giving an example using the figure the poster provided. The poster suggested Ash Taylor on $400k or 500k. And suggested if Ponga was to come here it shouldn't be for big money. The fact is we don't have leverage to be offering Ponga a moderate figure or a lowball figure. Ponga is reportedly on 1.1 million a year. To suggest Ponga would come here not on a massive big money offer is not plausible.
Oh, I never suggested he would come here for small money. I said I'd like to see it but that doesn't mean I thought it could happen! My main point is I don't ever want to see us paying huge money for players rather I'd prefer we have a ceiling price and stick to our budget. I believe Melbourne only ever paid huge money to blokes who started out on much much lower rates. Sure, you end up paying for that top shelf quality but that talent earned it throughout the preceding years when you aren't tipping in anywhere near as much.

If we start at the top end the chances of getting top value is greatly diminished. I'd rather we bought mid tier players with greater development in mind. Cronk and Smith for example started modestly in the finacial sense and that's what I'd like us to strive for and definitely not start at a million on day one of their time in Broncos Broncos colours.

thing about Coates leaving...or not....is the pipeline behind him....

DO we have a pipeline of young centre 3/4s coming through?

Our player losses have mainly come from that same pipeline that the best teams develop.

So, if he goes, who is next up? Niu..?...is that it..?

thing about Coates leaving...or not....is the pipeline behind him....

DO we have a pipeline of young centre 3/4s coming through?

Our player losses have mainly come from that same pipeline that the best teams develop.

So, if he goes, who is next up? Niu..?...is that it..?

Niu and ‘Milford’ are the two most ready but there are a few kids coming up behind them, one particularly promising centre I believe, we shall call him ‘Hodgo’.

How about we get a rock solid 7 and then go looking for a flair guy at 6. I agree Aboriginal guys are incredible instinctive players, and just rip games apart, but put the cart behind the horse and get someone who can kick for corners, play the high % play and build a .500 season. Then when we add the flair, oh boy, The good times will roll once again.

Oh, I never suggested he would come here for small money. I said I'd like to see it but that doesn't mean I thought it could happen! My main point is I don't ever want to see us paying huge money for players rather I'd prefer we have a ceiling price and stick to our budget. I believe Melbourne only ever paid huge money to blokes who started out on much much lower rates. Sure, you end up paying for that top shelf quality but that talent earned it throughout the preceding years when you aren't tipping in anywhere near as much.

If we start at the top end the chances of getting top value is greatly diminished. I'd rather we bought mid tier players with greater development in mind. Cronk and Smith for example started modestly in the finacial sense and that's what I'd like us to strive for and definitely not start at a million on day one of their time in Broncos Broncos colours.

Yeah fair enough. I tend to agree with that. I know Gus Gould suggested million dollar players should produce a 60% - 70% win rate. I'm not convinced that Kalyn Ponga is even in that realms. Whether the Knights have injuries or not you never saw those excuses with Cameron Smith at the Storm.

That's why targeting someone like a Kurt Capewell probably makes more sense rather then a Jason Taumalolo. We still need a long term solution at half back though. I tend to think the Broncos are not going to risk it on someone unproven or hasn't fulfilled their potential and will throw the cheque book at Adam Reynolds.

My example of $500, 000 for Ponga was probably not the best example. In terms of the discussion we were having on offering a reasonable offer to Ponga but not breaking the bank.

@Jedhead make a comment about Reynolds bringing back an indigenous flair to our team.

I was commenting that although he's from Redfern and is married to an indigenous girl, he's not actually Aboriginal.
There you go, I don’t know why but I thought he was indigenous.

Yeah fair enough. I tend to agree with that. I know Gus Gould suggested million dollar players should produce a 60% - 70% win rate. I'm not convinced that Kalyn Ponga is even in that realms. Whether the Knights have injuries or not you never saw those excuses with Cameron Smith at the Storm.

That's why targeting someone like a Kurt Capewell probably makes more sense rather then a Jason Taumalolo. We still need a long term solution at half back though. I tend to think the Broncos are not going to risk it on someone unproven or hasn't fulfilled their potential and will throw the cheque book at Adam Reynolds.

My example of $500, 000 for Ponga was probably not the best example. In terms of the discussion we were having on offering a reasonable offer to Ponga but not breaking the bank.
I'm all for reasonable offers but I really hope we are past giving million dollar pa contracts out. I'd like to see the club spread the cash a little differently because I think it breeds discontent when you have guys making half a dozen tackles and runs yet earning two,three, four times as much as guys absolutely slogging their guts out and getting bashed senseless week in week out.

In my fantasy world my top earner would be closer to my bottom earner instead of what we see now. The gap not so great. I really hope we miss out on Reynolds, SJ and Hodgson etc. With Staggs signed we just might not have to look elsewhere. No knows the future but our recent past should have informed us about 800k+ plus contracts. I like the frugal approach and hope DoubleD keeps it tight.

The Courier Mail is talking up Reynolds moving to Brisbane. They claim the Broncos are "privately confident."

They reckon "Reynolds has told close friends the meeting was extremely positive" and that he's "highly impressed" by Brisbane’s interest and their captaincy offer.

They say reports he has
"no interest in moving to Brisbane are incorrect." That he "made it clear to Broncos bosses relocating his partner and their four children to Queensland is not a deal-breaker."

They say Brisbane hasn't tabled a formal offer but Reynolds has named his price. The Broncos can allegedly afford around $2.4 million for a three-year deal. Reynolds touring the facilities would be
see as a
"sign for Broncos bosses that they are not being used in a bidding war with the Sharks."

McHunt

Broncos have also re-signed TC Robati for 3 seasons, with him likely to be promoted to the top 30 for 2022.

19 year old Kiwi 2nd rower playing Intrust Super Cup for Wynnum Manly. Numbers are solid for his age. Running for 100 metres per game, throwing a couple of offloads per game and has racked up 3 line-break assists in 4 appearances.

Broncos have also re-signed TC Robati for 3 seasons, with him likely to be promoted to the top 30 for 2022.

19 year old Kiwi 2nd rower playing Intrust Super Cup for Wynnum Manly. Numbers are solid for his age. Running for 100 metres per game, throwing a couple of offloads per game and has racked up 3 line-break assists in 4 appearances.
Good news, I've been just as excited about his form as I have been of Cobbo's.

In every game I've seen him play he's come up with one big run where he completely fools his opposite with good foot-work and then puts his outside man into space. He was desperately unlucky not to set up a try in the Broncos trial as Arthars came up with a really good try-saver on the winger.

Hopefully Piakura lives up to the billing because so far Robati has had the better season.

Good news, I've been just as excited about his form as I have been of Cobbo's.

In every game I've seen him play he's come up with one big run where he completely fools his opposite with good foot-work and then puts his outside man into space. He was desperately unlucky not to set up a try in the Broncos trial as Arthars came up with a really good try-saver on the winger.

Hopefully Piakura lives up to the billing because so far Robati has had the better season.
He was the one who tore us apart a few times in the trial yeah??

The way I look at it is even if we sign Reynolds and Hodgson which is great (Reynolds, not so convinced on Hodgson) and all. Our backline will be so shit its not even funny. Thats really what I worry about. We somehow need to hit up a winger that we can actually rely on doing there job and i believe we need a defensive centre as well. I wasn't sold on it before, but Opacic would be amazing. Just spitballing here but lets say this is our backline, I think we will be doing alright:
1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Opacic
5. Edrick Lee (I don't really know but you get the point)

The way I look at it is even if we sign Reynolds and Hodgson which is great (Reynolds, not so convinced on Hodgson) and all. Our backline will be so shit its not even funny. Thats really what I worry about. We somehow need to hit up a winger that we can actually rely on doing there job and i believe we need a defensive centre as well. I wasn't sold on it before, but Opacic would be amazing. Just spitballing here but lets say this is our backline, I think we will be doing alright:
1. Isaako
2. Oates
3. Farnworth
4. Opacic
5. Edrick Lee (I don't really know but you get the point)

I wonder how far Cobbo is off first grade. 100kg, 190cm and the fastest bronco over 40m. Could easily replace Coates you would think. Probably provide better early set hit ups than Coates too.

This is a very well balanced side and I do like the possibility of Hodgson on only a two year deal, a more than decent stop gap until we get Harry.
I actually spoke with Harry just before New Years. Talked about a few footy related things, and of course i hit him up about whether he would consider coming to the Bronx.

He said he wouldn't consider for the next 2 seasons at least, he thought it would take at least that before we were competitive again. So, it lines up well, however there's the little matter of a second BNE side on the hunt also..😭😭

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• LGH
  • bert_lifts
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Midean
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Santa
  • Redux
  • Spooky1013
  • Organix
  • broncs30
  • Gray
  • Strop
  • Broncorob
  • Sproj
  • FACTHUNT
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Battler
  • Yem
  • Volvo Driver
  • Skathen
... and 42 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.