Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people seem to be blowing their load over young Walsh.
I'll give you that his attack is breathtaking but on the other side of the ledger his defence ie equally woeful.
That Pre season trial was also his first game against men if i remember correctly and Cobbo was equally impressive.
I'm really hoping that in time, Cobbo proves a really quality fullback as from what people are saying he definitely has the potential.
Time will tell i suppose and time is what Cobbo has..

A lot of people seem to be blowing their load over young Walsh.
I'll give you that his attack is breathtaking but on the other side of the ledger his defence ie equally woeful.
That Pre season trial was also his first game against men if i remember correctly and Cobbo was equally impressive.
I'm really hoping that in time, Cobbo proves a really quality fullback as from what people are saying he definitely has the potential.
Time will tell i suppose and time is what Cobbo has..

Well said and also, great discussion this on Walsh, I can totally understand both sides of the argument and to be honest, if I was in the Broncs position, I don’t really know what I would have done either. Keeping or letting him go for that at the time ridiculous offer were essentially damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

Hindsight says it was a shame to lose him and we should have known what he was capable of but at the same time, albeit a totally different type of player, I’d argue Cobbo looks just as promising, even if not likely as Walsh to explode onto the scene.

I suspect Cobbo will take longer to get there but also suspect once he gets there, he might well be the prototype future fullback. Even if for some reason that doesn’t happen, we still have some other really decent prospects coming through.

Regardless, there will always be other players we can get.

What's his passing game like? I haven't seen much of it but like others have said with Reynolds and Staggs as our halves our fullback needs to set up tries, not just be quick.

I have never really seen a passing game to be honest but he has a decent short kicking game, is explosive and has x-factor. He can also create something from nothing.

Even if he fails at the back, he could easily become an elite winger, possibly very good centre as he is currently playing. And this is what I like about him, he has the potential to be a gun anywhere in the backline.

Again, just focus on 2022. We need a spine, focus on that...

With Staggs due back and Lee to be incorporated in 22, this backline is in a state of flux.

Clearly, you have to ask yourself what we intend to do with our centres?

Lee i assume has one position sown up, who has the other? Id be looking at a few in-house options this year. Whihc means maybe we can give Herbs a go at fullback to open up his centre spot to trial some alternatives..

Again, what exactly do we have to lose?

Any chance of Cobbo being ready to play FB next year?

Fox Sports have come out swinging over us missing Hynes. according to them we low-balled him and let Walsh walk.

then when talking about potential options, say that off contract Caleb Aekins isn't a player to build a backline around because he has played 19 games of first grade "mostly as a backup", lol ... have they forgotten that Hynes has also been used exclusively as a backup, lol

Again, just focus on 2022. We need a spine, focus on that...

With Staggs due back and Lee to be incorporated in 22, this backline is in a state of flux.

Clearly, you have to ask yourself what we intend to do with our centres?

Lee i assume has one position sown up, who has the other? Id be looking at a few in-house options this year. Whihc means maybe we can give Herbs a go at fullback to open up his centre spot to trial some alternatives..

Again, what exactly do we have to lose?

first thing we need to do, IMO, is give Staggs an extended run in the halves when he returns at the back end of this year, that will give Kevvie a good basis to know whether it is worth persisting with him as Reynolds partner next season or whether he should be moved back to being a strike center

Anyone else shocked to find out that 'Cobbo' was his actual surname and not just a nickname for a longer surname Eg: Gutho

Yes there is a good chance but being so young and the way he plays, he isn't going to set it alight straight away. Us fans will need to show patience with him. I suspect he will get some games during the origin period and then go back and finish the year at fullback I would imagine in Q Cup in the hope to potentially have him ready for the start of 22.

Fox Sports have come out swinging over us missing Hynes. according to them we low-balled him and let Walsh walk.

then when talking about potential options, say that off contract Caleb Aekins isn't a player to build a backline around because he has played 19 games of first grade "mostly as a backup", lol ... have they forgotten that Hynes has also been used exclusively as a backup, lol
So stupid🤣

Wing for sure, fullback has changed so much that just think running and breaking tackles isn't enough anymore.

I see similar things to what I saw with Isaako in 2018. He breaks tackles in ISC but it doesn't transfer well to NRL in the fullback position. If you can't pass, and kick now fullback is hard work.

He hasn't developed that part of his game yet and doesn't join backline's too much.

Be good in the second half of the ISC if he started a combination with Scarlett and learnt what halves are doing and why and then he can start to understand fullback further.

Dragons game is just about running and breaking tackles, fielding kicks and being a pest to the defence and defending his touchline- if he does that it's a great debut- that's all the stuff he has been doing.

700 for Staggs, even with the unknown around 5/8. Reason being is we know and have seen that he is elite at centre in a SHITTTTTTT team. So even if he bombs at 5/8 he can go back to centre and we are not left with a gaping useless hole.
Fair point. He is an elite centre at his best with some defensive deficiencies.

Do you think he is worth 700K as a centre? Especially given he is coming off an ACL and he is on his final chance before a potential long disciplinary penalty? I don't.

I'm happy with Farnsworth playing centre/wing going forward. He has potential going forward at fullback but I don't see a reason to replace isaako with him as they are very similar with what they can do.
Farnsworth is an elite athlete but so too is isaako. Their passing games both are nothing to shout about though isaako looks better the longer he plays at the back with a bit of confidence. Farnsworth is probably a better defender but isaako can boot the leather off a ball and both have reasonable short kicking games from what I have seen.
If I was to swap isaako with anyone, it would be staggs as he may have better play making skills having played halves but I would only contemplate it at the season's end and have them drill together.
Since staggs seems destined for the halves, to my thinking so long as isaako keeps improving and shows more consistency it's his spot to lose now that Hynes is off the table.
Gamble and Kelly are our halves this season and I would apply that same rule to them too with regard to staggs, possibly pushing him into 5/8 for short stints with gamble at lock on the field together at the back end of halves.
That way there is the capacity to cover injuries seemlessly and still offer some variety in attack.

first thing we need to do, IMO, is give Staggs an extended run in the halves when he returns at the back end of this year, that will give Kevvie a good basis to know whether it is worth persisting with him as Reynolds partner next season or whether he should be moved back to being a strike center
Great idea depending on what is best for his knee

Aekins is even worse than Isaako

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Broncorob
  • Rah88
  • Fitzy
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • Justwin
  • broncsgoat
  • Mister Wright
  • the_next
  • broncos4life
  • Xzei
  • Allo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • Jazza
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.