Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Literally said it was his performance
No, you said he was our best 1 out of 6 or something along those lines. Then you mentioned his talking to Easts/Politis twice in the rest of the post.

So it's pretty obvious what annoys you more.

They seem to be chasing a half. Heard they had made Milford an offer, and just heard they have made contact with Ash Taylors manager now as well.
They musn't rate Jacks at all even as a fill in if they're chasing all of them. I can't see why Taylor would want to go there? I think he might get lucky and find some kind of team, he's not that bad. Milford might go there just for a chance to spark his career back to life.

They musn't rate Jacks at all even as a fill in if they're chasing all of them. I can't see why Taylor would want to go there? I think he might get lucky and find some kind of team, he's not that bad. Milford might go there just for a chance to spark his career back to life.
I wonder if Munster is on the way out and they’re looking for a cheap option so they can afford to keep the rest of the spine.

it sounds like Munster is keen to go to Brisbane 2 and whichever team that is will absolutely take Munster.

I think Ash would do well there if he knuckles down, could be a great move for him. He has a great kicking game and i reckon he would suit them. It would all be about his attitude.

'The fire is still burning inside me and I want to be the best player I can be. But as a playmaker, if you aren’t getting good ball, there’s not really much you can do.'

It’s burning alright Anthony, has been for a fair while too.

These guys seem to have their finger on their pulse.

Paul Kent said:

“The Broncos DNA, the glory days, it’s dead. They’ve got no resilience in defence. The worst thing the Broncos can now do is to still consider themselves a powerhouse of the competition. They have a commercial advantage of being in such a big city by themselves, but other than that, that DNA, that winning culture, that is so important at clubs, it does not exist anymore."

“There was a hope you bring back Kevvie Walters with all the old boys it would reignite, it hasn’t happened. They are so far removed from that. The ability of the Broncos to surrender, it just gets bigger. Donaghy will hopefully bring an understanding of what Melbourne did and hope to apply that to Brisbane. But Brisbane is a three-four-five year rebuild.”

Phil Rothfield:

“I think their board thought by signing Dave Donaghy, they’re signing the Melbourne Storm way of recruitment and retention. This does not work because the recruitment and retention of Melbourne was not about Dave Donaghy, it was about Frank Ponissi, it was about Craig Bellamy. They are the people who hired and fired. A CEO isn’t going to change their ability to attract players.”

McHunt

These guys seem to have their finger on their pulse.

Paul Kent said:

“The Broncos DNA, the glory days, it’s dead. They’ve got no resilience in defence. The worst thing the Broncos can now do is to still consider themselves a powerhouse of the competition. They have a commercial advantage of being in such a big city by themselves, but other than that, that DNA, that winning culture, that is so important at clubs, it does not exist anymore."

“There was a hope you bring back Kevvie Walters with all the old boys it would reignite, it hasn’t happened. They are so far removed from that. The ability of the Broncos to surrender, it just gets bigger. Donaghy will hopefully bring an understanding of what Melbourne did and hope to apply that to Brisbane. But Brisbane is a three-four-five year rebuild.”

Phil Rothfield:

“I think their board thought by signing Dave Donaghy, they’re signing the Melbourne Storm way of recruitment and retention. This does not work because the recruitment and retention of Melbourne was not about Dave Donaghy, it was about Frank Ponissi, it was about Craig Bellamy. They are the people who hired and fired. A CEO isn’t going to change their ability to attract players.”

McHunt
Why can't they write articles that people actually would be interested in? Like "Greatest Commentators ever" or the best 18 under 18 team, or naming a "The Daily Telegraph's Rest of the world team" (which would be great around Origin 2, and would rival what AFL media does with naming the Victorian team) and actually start a fun debate for a change? That's how the immortals started after all.

That annoys the shit out of me, I don't like losing every week but I can understand that's just where the club is at.

I fucking hate the shit they genuinely make up in the media mid-week "Broncos have lost their DNA", yeah okay, get fucked you narcissistic piss ant Paul Kent. Watch us flog someone soon and you won't hear a single word out of him or his mates.

DD has also only been here for two months hardly enough time to change too much but in that time he's managed to sign Reynolds who surely wouldn't be here without DD.

TBF, that is a rehashed quote from after magic round ... but yes, he started blaming others. now it's his injury's fault. not sure what he'll blame next
Isaako and Darius Boyd. Why shouldn't he be like most on bhq?

🤣 how is it that we have 2 wingers and our fullback on that list? They are asked to do the least tackling on the field and they still miss? My god we are awful.

But the fact there is so many players with that many missed tackles should say that the issue is beyond it being individual players. This is symptomatic of a complete defensive system/structure failure.
Actually, fullbacks miss a lot especially in teams on the bottom. With multiple attackers and posted midfield fullbacks rarely make a successful tackle. Too many to cover.

Actually, fullbacks miss a lot especially in teams on the bottom. With multiple attackers and posted midfield fullbacks rarely make a successful tackle. Too many to cover.
That's probably fair. Excluding the poor team bit for a moment, the only fullback that I've seen consistently repel attackers was Slater and his methods - especially today, would see him in the bin more than he even was.

Especially if the attempt is on the line, they are rarely successful and definitely would increment that missed tackle count significantly when it wasn't their defensive failure.

Where they are needed are in line breaks to at least force the pass or pressure the attacker into a mistake. The better Fullbacks can 'herd' attackers out wide and give the wingers half a chance of support defence. But again, very situational. At the very least though, a one on one line break, unless they get a massive step put on them, they should be able to stop or put a lot of pressure on an individual.

The thing for me about defensive fullbacks are positioning to cover kicks/grubbers particularly into the in goal area. Preventing 40/20s in the first 3-4 of a set before the wingers pull back. Organising sliding defence, particularly in the red zone and defusing bombs. If someone is chipping into the in goal area anywhere within 20m of the posts, it's the FB's ball 9 times out of 10. Isaako's been left wanting a few times.

He's not the only problem in our team though, he's one of a few absolutely below average players. We have too many people who only intermittently play at NRL level, leading to the outcomes we see.

DD has also only been here for two months hardly enough time to change too much but in that time he's managed to sign Reynolds who surely wouldn't be here without DD.
Reynolds credited Wayne Bennett for sending him our way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Tim K
  • Cavalo
  • Santa
  • Aldo
  • johnny plath
  • GCBRONCO
  • Behold
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Broncosgirl
  • HarryAllan7
  • IceWorks
  • Manifesto
  • Financeguy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • jarro65
  • mystico
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Dash
  • Gympie devil
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.