Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol at claiming someone being good in 2015 is a good reason to sign them.
You know who the best 2 halves players were in 2015, Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford ffs. Things change bro.
Nah I said at start of year in 2015 we would never win a Comp with Ben Hunt. His abysmal final 15 minutes in the grand final was a fitting end.

As far as Parcell's past stint goes, it was between him and Kodi. The Broncos ultimately went with Kodi due to his versatility and once Manly came knocking they couldn't compete with their offer.

Parcell wasn't horrible at Manly but with Koroisau also joining he didn't compliment the team. Barrett also didn't like him running out of dummy half which defeated the purpose.

He was a revelation in the Super League during his first season but injuries and the downfall at Leeds saw him struggle. He's been better at a revilitised Hull KR but there's a reason the majority of those highlights are against the bottom placed teams.

In regards to Niu, before the Canberra game I thought the Broncos were content with losing him. However he's one of those players who is actually playing better in the NRL than he was in the QCup (if you can believe that) and seems to be getting better with each game. He reminds me a lot of Will Kennedy and how when it comes to training, he's an absolute superstar. You can see flashes of it, but he hasn't quite put those skills to use just yet.

I think he's more on the ball than Cobbo who physically is more gifted but still very raw when it comes to playing the role. Cobbo is someone I'd like to see play the majority of next season in the NRL, but I'd also be prepared for him to start the year in reggies and have the odd stint back in grade.

where did you see that?

As predicted by Peter Badel. Like I said, he's usually right about this kind of thing:

I'm happy Niu is staying, you can see the potential there. I think he is already quite good in attack and will likely only get better. His massive issue is defense, whether it be centre or fullback, hopefully Kevvie and his team see that and are addressing it because if he can fix that part of his game, there is a LOT to like.

It also creates competition for spots with Cobbo as well, hopefully one of them really take the bronco by the stirrups and show how bad they want it. Cobbo could even develop as a winger or centre as I think he is a bit Gagai like in how he plays, could play any backline position really.

I'm happy Niu is staying, you can see the potential there. I think he is already quite good in attack and will likely only get better. His massive issue is defense, whether it be centre or fullback, hopefully Kevvie and his team see that and are addressing it because if he can fix that part of his game, there is a LOT to like.

It also creates competition for spots with Cobbo as well, hopefully one of them really take the bronco by the stirrups and show how bad they want it. Cobbo could even develop as a winger or centre as I think he is a bit Gagai like in how he plays, could play any backline position really.
I hope they both do , one at center and the other at the back.

Well this calls for a list in celebration, amirite?

The squad is almost done you'd imagine, save for one or two more surprise / unexpected recruits:

1. Niu
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Cobbo
6. Gamble
7. Reynolds (c)
8. Haas
9. Paix
10. Carrigan
11. Riki
12. Capewell (vc)
13. Hetherington

14. Walters
15. Flegler
16. Robati
17. Piakura

18. Kennedy
19. Willison
20. Jensen
21. Lee
22. Pereira* (Still not official)
23. Bullemor
24. Arthars*
25. Turpin
26. Palasia
27. Isaako
28. Mead
29. Kelly*

I also suspect one or three of Isaako / Oates / unexpected release won't be there either

Manu sounds a lot like...Farnworth. The difference is, Manu is more experienced, has played as part of a FAR better team even with the injuries and has been given a run at the back. This is why I really want to see what Herbie / Cobbo have before we run out and sign a million dollar semi-tested player. I rate Manu a LOT, I just don't want to get into a bidding war for a player who could turn out to be the next Teddy or could out to be the next Cory Alan.
I'm definitely in the same boat.. I think Manu is a great player and would be a massive addition to the team but for the massive money it's a risk.
Totally agree Manu and Herbie are very very similar players.. we see herbies work rate and its very much like Manu, throw herbie at fullback and he's making 200-250+ metres a game, he's quicker than Manu, with the soccer background he'd probably have a nice short kicking game with Reynolds giving pointers, the ball playing/passing game will come with Reynolds the team will actually have structure.
Cobbo for me is a unknown but the little I've seen he's got potential.
Spending 900+ on Manu you could save 400-600 by using Herbie or Cobbo and then we've got a bigger war chest to get Smith and Fotuaika to partner Haas
And who knows Manu could have a horrid injury run like bird
9 is the priority we've trialed all our options and none cut it.
Fullback we have trialed 2 of the 4 options and the 2 we haven't tried have the most upside there.

I'm definitely in the same boat.. I think Manu is a great player and would be a massive addition to the team but for the massive money it's a risk.
Totally agree Manu and Herbie are very very similar players.. we see herbies work rate and its very much like Manu, throw herbie at fullback and he's making 200-250+ metres a game, he's quicker than Manu, with the soccer background he'd probably have a nice short kicking game with Reynolds giving pointers, the ball playing/passing game will come with Reynolds the team will actually have structure.
Cobbo for me is a unknown but the little I've seen he's got potential.
Spending 900+ on Manu you could save 400-600 by using Herbie or Cobbo and then we've got a bigger war chest to get Smith and Fotuaika to partner Haas
And who knows Manu could have a horrid injury run like bird
9 is the priority we've trialed all our options and none cut it.
Fullback we have trialed 2 of the 4 options and the 2 we haven't tried have the most upside there.
Manu would be a great signing, but the titans and warriors will bid themselves up and drive his value up. Both those clubs would be stupid to pay big money for him considering they have fb covered by the way.

I’d probably go as high as 850k for him considering he’s never played fb. If he’s terrible in the spine you end up with an elite centre on massive overs, that’s the downside.

As far as Parcell's past stint goes, it was between him and Kodi. The Broncos ultimately went with Kodi due to his versatility and once Manly came knocking they couldn't compete with their offer.

Parcell wasn't horrible at Manly but with Koroisau also joining he didn't compliment the team. Barrett also didn't like him running out of dummy half which defeated the purpose.

He was a revelation in the Super League during his first season but injuries and the downfall at Leeds saw him struggle. He's been better at a revilitised Hull KR but there's a reason the majority of those highlights are against the bottom placed teams.

In regards to Niu, before the Canberra game I thought the Broncos were content with losing him. However he's one of those players who is actually playing better in the NRL than he was in the QCup (if you can believe that) and seems to be getting better with each game. He reminds me a lot of Will Kennedy and how when it comes to training, he's an absolute superstar. You can see flashes of it, but he hasn't quite put those skills to use just yet.

I think he's more on the ball than Cobbo who physically is more gifted but still very raw when it comes to playing the role. Cobbo is someone I'd like to see play the majority of next season in the NRL, but I'd also be prepared for him to start the year in reggies and have the odd stint back in grade.
I really like what I have seen from Niu when we are losing.. He doesn’t give up and he’s one of those player who wants the ball in his hands when it matters! The greatest at this was Thurston. I love a spine player that can’t get enough of the ball and goes chasing it around the field. It’s a great trait to have and something Ben Hunt, Anthony Milford and Darius Boyd all lacked.

Well this calls for a list in celebration, amirite?

The squad is almost done you'd imagine, save for one or two more surprise / unexpected recruits:

1. Niu
2. Oates
3. Staggs
4. Farnworth
5. Cobbo
6. Gamble
7. Reynolds (c)
8. Haas
9. Paix
10. Carrigan
11. Riki
12. Capewell (vc)
13. Hetherington

14. Walters
15. Flegler
16. Robati
17. Piakura

18. Kennedy
19. Willison
20. Jensen
21. Lee
22. Pereira* (Still not official)
23. Bullemor
24. Arthars*
25. Turpin
26. Palasia
27. Isaako
28. Mead
29. Kelly*

I also suspect one or three of Isaako / Oates / unexpected release won't be there either
The line up is becoming fairly predictable. Nearly every player in the squad could make a case for being in the top 17.. Which is great. It will come down to hard work and form in the pre season. Time to impress Kevvy kiddos!!

I really like what I have seen from Niu when we are losing.. He doesn’t give up and he’s one of those player who wants the ball in his hands when it matters! The greatest at this was Thurston. I love a spine player that can’t get enough of the ball and goes chasing it around the field. It’s a great trait to have and something Ben Hunt, Anthony Milford and Darius Boyd all lacked.
Entirely disagree regarding Hunt. His biggest issue is brain fades and erratic fluctuations in skill. No one can rightfully accuse Hunt of not going looking for work.

Entirely disagree regarding Hunt. His biggest issue is brain fades and erratic fluctuations in skill. No one can rightfully accuse Hunt of not going looking for work.
Ben Hunt was/is notorious for fading in and out of games.

I think his best position is hooker partly for this reason. Forces him to have his hands on the ball every play.

I always wanted us to move on McCullough and put Hunt at 9.

There are quite a number of recent defensive efforts that might disagree with you.

I've got nothing against a ball playing lock, but my point was Hetherington doesn't seem like it either. There's not a whole lot of difference between them except Carrigan seems to have a bigger motor.
We scored a try from a big break a few games ago which involved Hetherington picking a ball up from his toes then firing out a pass to, IIRC, Herbie. I'd argue Kobe is a much better defender than Carrigan.

As predicted by Peter Badel. Like I said, he's usually right about this kind of thing:

I gave you like, if for nothing else but your consistency

He's still a low life of the highest order.

Agree totally. Dont know how anyone can say Ben Hunt hides or doesnt go looking for the ball. Thats just wrong. He has brain fades and he makes errors, but his effort isnt one of his weaknesses.

We scored a try from a big break a few games ago which involved Hetherington picking a ball up from his toes then firing out a pass to, IIRC, Herbie. I'd argue Kobe is a much better defender than Carrigan.

I dont think he is and statistically it doesnt show he is, but I think Pat is a bit like Haas in that he has a bad defensive read in him when he gets fatigued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Midean
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.