Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a hunch but I think we might be all in for Welch
Yeah I got that impression too from the Fox article I read yesterday. He was all set to sign with us a while ago but "the timelines didn't fit". Much better now. He'd be a great fit IMO.

Storm prop Christian Welch can start talking to other clubs on November 1 about his next deal but said he would “love to stay in purple” and extend his stay in Melbourne.

The 27-year-old inked a new two-year extension with the Storm before last year’s grand final. Since his decision to remain with Melbourne until the end of 2022, he has won a premiership and become one of the first picked for the Maroons.

His contract extension was announced on October 7 last year, just a week after Kevin Walters was officially installed as Brisbane coach.

“I had an offer from the Dragons and interest from the Broncos at the time,” Welch said.“
"With the Broncos I was excited about the potential, having worked with Kevin Walters before. The Broncos timeline just didn’t fit my timeline because they had just gone through the process of appointing a coach.”

Yeah I got that impression too from the Fox article I read yesterday. He was all set to sign with us a while ago but "the timelines didn't fit". Much better now. He'd be a great fit IMO.
Wouldn’t be until 2023 though and wouldn’t come cheap. Be hard to afford 800k for Welch next to the million dollar man.

He'd be perfect for hass and Carrigan could definitely mould himself to be a similar player.
8. Welch
10. Hass
11. Riki
12. Capewell
13. Heathrington

15. Carrigan
16 Flegler
17. Robati/ Piakura

Wouldn’t be until 2023 though and wouldn’t come cheap. Be hard to afford 800k for Welch next to the million dollar man.
Correct, very much doubt he'd get 800k.

If Welch is available we should go after him.

He’s not someone that’s going to deliver consistently high numbers but he’s the perfect partner for Haas and our other young forwards. He provides leadership and he’s calm under pressure. He would be a great forward leader.

Plus he passes the character test that everyone seems to be so insistent on. He gives back to the fans and isn’t a douche.

He’s smart, experienced, a Qlder and all round good bloke, I’ve been wanting him for a long time, perfect for and a leader you could build around. I don’t care if we have to wait a year to get him.

To get him though, I think we’d have to lose a kid for salary and spot reasons, I wonder if Carrigan might find himself the odd man out (queue a Badel story from this).

Welch would be a great pick up, but I think it would start to throw our cap out of balance again.

Haas has been upgraded to $850k or so (replaces Lodge's big contract), Capewell has come in on $600k or so (effectively TPJ's contract)... so bringing in Welch on a presumably large contract just starts to put too much of our cap into the pack. Especially when you consider upgrades to Riki and Piakura, on top of Flegler.

I think the next big investment has to be in the spine rather than the support players.

He’s smart, experienced, a Qlder and all round good bloke, I’ve been wanting him for a long time, perfect for and a leader you could build around. I don’t care if we have to wait a year to get him.

To get him though, I think we’d have to lose a kid for salary and spot reasons, I wonder if Carrigan might find himself the odd man out (queue a Badel story from this).
Maybe the reason bullemor was allowed to walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Hurrijo
  • Santa
  • bazza
  • Alec
  • Sproj
  • Thelmus
  • Galah
  • Johnny92
  • Fitzy
  • Broncorob
  • Strop
  • Porthoz
  • achievedrap
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.