Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Kobe and Tyson are both enjoying/suffering from the Turpin Effect. That's when your baseline of expectations have fallen so low, a player with no preceding hype might only need to perform at a reasonable level to spark enough energy to lift the team.

As the team gradually raises its bar, expectations rise with it. Fans no longer want someone who's not a potato, they want a star. We no longer want to avoid the wooden spoon and massive deficits. We want to make the top 4.

Is Kobe a top 4 lock? I'm not sure either. I agree with you on that.

As for lock, it's the one position in the team that doesn't have a clear job description. Some locks are just props. Pat Carrigan, for example, offers nothing more. Tackle. Hit it up. Try not to drop the ball. Rinse and repeat.

While others are like a five-eighth crossed with a brick shithouse. They become an extended part of the spine. Kobe falls into this latter type, which makes him vastly more exciting than Patty at the back. Regardless of how good Patty is in the extended prop role.

I agree that Kobe is still very much on trial. You know when you have a good lock because you hear his name shouted every other set. Players like Taumalolo, Gallen, Ray Price, Bradley Clyde, Sam Burgess. These guys made a massive impact every game. Maybe that's the job description.

I think we do have to define how we want to play and how our lock fits in with that. We dont need a ball playing lock if we dont play a style that suits one. My personal opinion is we should be playing with one, and Bennett for example clearly saw this shift back to a ball playing lock coming when he signed Bird to play there, its just he was made from sticks and couldnt stay fit. With what we have here now, i think Robati or Hetherington are the obvious choices at the moment for that 13 shirt.

I think we do have to define how we want to play and how our lock fits in with that. We dont need a ball playing lock if we dont play a style that suits one. My personal opinion is we should be playing with one, and Bennett for example clearly saw this shift back to a ball playing lock coming when he signed Bird to play there, its just he was made from sticks and couldnt stay fit. With what we have here now, i think Robati or Hetherington are the obvious choices at the moment for that 13 shirt.
Totally agree
Even if Turpin switches to that role to bring Paix into the game and give Kobe or TC a rest that would work.
If our hooker played 80 you could start with a bigger body in 13 and bring a player like Kelly in off the bench later in the game to slip into that 13 as a second five-eighth/fullback.
It all depends on how the team is looking to play.

Totally agree
Even if Turpin switches to that role to bring Paix into the game and give Kobe or TC a rest that would work.
If our hooker played 80 you could start with a bigger body in 13 and bring a player like Kelly in off the bench later in the game to slip into that 13 as a second five-eighth/fullback.
It all depends on how the team is looking to play.
Watch Reynolds’ kicking game next weekend. That's how we'll be looking to play. I reckon he'll be looking to get the ball to this bloke:

Watch Reynold's kicking game next weekend. That's how we'll be looking to play. I reckon he'll be looking to get the ball to this bloke:

Capewell really has a knack of getting to kicks, I remember watching him for the jets knows how to position his body to get the ball.
Reynolds will have a big say on how we play youd think, exciting times

Capewell really has a knack of getting to kicks, I remember watching him for the jets knows how to position his body to get the ball.
Reynolds will have a big say on how we play youd think, exciting times

With a proper halfback guiding the team around i think we will see less of our props taking late tackle count hitups.

Carrigan should either be at prop or coming off the bench. He is no lock.
You realise you can't actually say that Carrigan is not a lock?.. Tell me why he's not a lock and Corey Parker was?

It's relative to the rest of the squad and the style of game plan..

If we signed a decent prop like Taupau to partner Haas up front, I'd definitely like Carrigan to start at lock.

Again.. You cannot say Carrigan is not a lock.. You can only say in your own opinion based on how you would like your team to play, you would not start him at lock.

8. Haas

10. Taupau

13. Carrigan

You realise you can't actually say that Carrigan is not a lock?.. Tell me why he's not a lock and Corey Parker was?

If we signed a decent prop like Taupau to partner Haas up front, I'd definitely like Carrigan to start at lock.

Again.. You cannot say Carrigan is not a lock.. You can only say in your own opinion based on how you would like your team to play, you would not start him at lock.

8. Haas

10. Taupau

13. Carrigan
So he can't call him a lock because you say so?

Carrigan isn't a lock.

Carrigan mightnt be a lock but I'm sure Wolfie would agree with him being a look

Say we sack Milford and then Souths proceed to sack him. Should we re employ him for 150k per year?

Definitely and of course state the obligatory 'We can fix Milfy the Mac(cas)'

Say we sack Milford and then Souths proceed to sack him. Should we re employ him for 150k per year?
1000%. I’m hoping the broncos sent those 3 people to annoy him on purpose

“It’s for his well-being to stay in Brisbane to be with his support network at this challenging time.”

Not sure how much the mole is regarded but there was a report that we might be making a play for Kikau

It’s a hard no from me. We have our own backrowers who don’t lay down like cats looking for penalties. I’ve never liked the guy’s attitude. It stinks.

8. Haas

10. Taupau

13. Carrigan

People see Yeo, Radley and Cameron Murray and they think every team should have a player who plays like that at 13, these players are rare and if you had to put a pack together with the things you essentially needed to have I would suggest a ball playing lock would be near the bottom of that list.

You are absolutely right, Corey Parker at the time when he was playing was the best in the game in his respective position and he was a work horse 80 minute forward with an offload.

If Kevvie wants a ball playing forward I think Hetherington is the bloke he will be looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • john1420
  • The Strapper
  • Brocko
  • broncotville
  • Bish
  • Wolfie
  • davidp
  • jarro65
  • Foordy
  • Financeguy
  • Fozz
  • Fitzy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Strop
  • Xzei
  • Evander
  • broncos4life
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.