Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that you mention it I am somewhat surprised we havent been active in the 2023 market.

I believe we have a shit ton of cap space opening up for 2023 and beyond with all the deadwood finally off contract or off the books... except maybe Lodge.

We have the funds to re-sign whoever we want and/or go after a big fish (like a Reece Walsh)... so we seem somewhat quiet on the R&R front.

Cobbo extension seemingly in the works, Herbie extension gone quiet... but most others in the core group under contract... and then not much happening by the sounds of things.
For those wanting a Reece Walsh return (🙋‍♂️), Kalyn Ponga’s next move would appear to be a pretty crucial development.

if the Dolphins were to get Ponga, that would seemingly greatly reduce the chances of them going after Walsh.

Does anyone look at fifita these days and say "he looks happy?". He deadset looks like someone shit in his weetbix.

Ill have to check Zero tackle shortly, as im now intrigued what their take is on the freight we are paying this year?

And as BroncosFan said, how that affects the 2023 cap for us?
To build on what I had before and in regards to your message here... the below is a list of the big deadwood contracts that we have removed last year or will be gone at the end of this year. Disclaimer that all values are estimates in DobboBux determined in accordance with NSWRL world of journalism.

Given our big name recruits have been Reynolds ($750k) and Capewell ($600k conservatively)... I think we still have a massive amount of cash sitting there ready to go

Off the books last year
Brodie Croft: $500k (might still be paying some??)
Anthony Milford: $1m
Jack Bird: ~$800k
Andrew McCullough: $400k

Off the books this year
Corey Oates: $500k
Jamayne Isaako: $400k
Joe Ofahengaue: $500k (might still be paying some this year)
Tevita Pangai Junior: $600k (might still be paying some this year)
Matt Lodge: $600k (probably still paying some next year as well)

To build on what I had before and in regards to your message here... the below is a list of the big deadwood contracts that we have removed last year or will be gone at the end of this year. Disclaimer that all values are estimates in DobboBux determined in accordance with NSWRL world of journalism.

Given our big name recruits have been Reynolds ($750k) and Capewell ($600k conservatively)... I think we still have a massive amount of cash sitting there ready to go

Off the books last year
Brodie Croft: $500k (might still be paying some??)
Anthony Milford: $1m
Jack Bird: ~$800k
Andrew McCullough: $400k

Off the books this year
Corey Oates: $500k
Jamayne Isaako: $400k
Joe Ofahengaue: $500k (might still be paying some this year)
Tevita Pangai Junior: $600k (might still be paying some this year)
Matt Lodge: $600k (probably still paying some next year as well)

We have extended/upgraded:
- Haas
- Staggs
- Carrigan
- Flegler
- Hetherington
- Piakura
- Paix

We have extended/upgraded:
- Haas
- Staggs
- Carrigan
- Flegler
- Hetherington
- Piakura
- Paix
My previous point was more about the amount of money that has been sucked up in the cap through deadwood players or players that we sent elsewhere and still had to pay off, and that pretty well being gone from next year onwards.

Croft, Milf, Bird, Macca, TPJ and Lodge probably chewed up at least $3.5m between them, maybe even more... that's all gone now and has been largely replaced with solid depth players and a couple headliners that we arent paying overs for.

In regards to extensions they are much more palatable than the dogs approach where they have brought in shiney new replacement players.

Even Haas, he went from 600k previously to progressively higher and getting near 900k... he's near enough to $1m, but in terms of cap it's only 300k... his bump in salary is basically Arey for 750k coming in + a 300k bump to Haas for Milf's $1m salary. Compare that to the dogs who went out and brought TPJ in... that becomes a gamble where you're bringing in a potential unknown commodity on a big wage and hoping it will pay off versus upgrading a known commodity by way of extensions... or lower risk recruitment by bringing in depth players and hoping to get value for money (Pereira, Brenko, Jensen, etc.).

For the other extensions I'd say they havent broken the bank compared to the deadwood we have released.

Staggs is probably like 300k to 600k

Carrigan probs 300k to 450k

Flegler was already high (apparently) so the extension is probably quite small in regards to increased cap hit. Wasnt he like $400k and now he's $600k... I think those reports are completely false and it's probably more like he went from 250k to 300k-400k.

Kobe was base price previously and got a bump to be top 30, so I'd say he's still quite cheap... like 75k development to maybe 150k-200k

Paix was probably already on one of those "promising prospect" deals and potentially getting $250k or so when he was getting flagged as the next Cooper Cronk.. his star had fallen a bit by the time he extended last year so I'd say that would only get a bump up to say 300k or so.

Piakura was probably the biggest bump in reality. He wouldve been a base price rookie that got a decent pay rise to be top 30... he could've gone from 100k base to 300k-400k top 30 and expecting to be in the 17, but he's barely played over the last 12 months and covid has set his development back a fair bit now.

Of course everything is in Dobbo bucks and doesnt mean anything, but I'd say we do still have a fair chunk of cap sitting there ready to go in 2023 onwards... it just comes down to whether we spend it correctly.

Do you seriously believe Fifita can live the rest of his life without working again, if he signed the Broncos 750k contract? If not, then he should absolutely get the biggest contract. He doesn't know what his next one will be, he could do 3 ACL's and need to retire.

As a professional athlete with a career window of lets say 10-13 years for his position and when he started, he has even more need to make more money per contract than someone who is going to be working in their field for 50+ years. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if you're currently on 110k/yr job in Brisbane, and a gig down the coast offered you the same role in a company that gets less public scrutiny, and several of your close mates currently work there, for 160k/yr, then you would take it.
The issue, and I can't believe I have to say it again, is people telling me what I would do.
I've been in a similar situation, didn't take the money for a variety of reasons.
Don't stay too long on that limb, I can hear the bough cracking.

Fifita absolutely acted rationally and sensibly by taking the Titan's offer.. The Bronco's led I presume by Mr Meeting, Paul White, should never have allowed the situation to evolve the way it did... time limits work! But if Craig Bellamy hadn't already taught them that lesson then perhaps it was never going to be learned.

How the people behind that 1M+ offer for a non spine player, thought it was justified, is another interesting story.

Absolutely 800k/yr doesn't go far :) You are on top tax rate for a lot with limited scope to avoid tax as a PAYG employee, you really need to be becoming a business or a brand, building equity in some way as that it what is going to make you wealthy, not a few years of impressive cash flow that is probably going on flashy cars and other bling. Based on what I have seen of player managers I have no confidence these young men are being given that guidance but I hope they are.

The issue, and I can't believe I have to say it again, is people telling me what I would do.
I've been in a similar situation, didn't take the money for a variety of reasons.
Don't stay too long on that limb, I can hear the bough cracking.

Get over yourself. "Stop telling me what I'd do" You sound like a 14yr old girl.

You haven't been in a similar situation, you've been in a situation of 20-40k more per year, not 500k.

Get over yourself. "Stop telling me what I'd do" You sound like a 14yr old girl.

You haven't been in a similar situation, you've been in a situation of 20-40k more per year, not 500k.
I'm not on either side, but you'd have to factor in a young guy with his parent(s) in his ear also saying you could really set us up for the rest of our lives here, etc etc.

I don't think a person earning 120k and having an offer for 160k has the same level of pressure.

My previous point was more about the amount of money that has been sucked up in the cap through deadwood players or players that we sent elsewhere and still had to pay off, and that pretty well being gone from next year onwards.

Croft, Milf, Bird, Macca, TPJ and Lodge probably chewed up at least $3.5m between them, maybe even more... that's all gone now and has been largely replaced with solid depth players and a couple headliners that we arent paying overs for.

In regards to extensions they are much more palatable than the dogs approach where they have brought in shiney new replacement players.

Even Haas, he went from 600k previously to progressively higher and getting near 900k... he's near enough to $1m, but in terms of cap it's only 300k... his bump in salary is basically Arey for 750k coming in + a 300k bump to Haas for Milf's $1m salary. Compare that to the dogs who went out and brought TPJ in... that becomes a gamble where you're bringing in a potential unknown commodity on a big wage and hoping it will pay off versus upgrading a known commodity by way of extensions... or lower risk recruitment by bringing in depth players and hoping to get value for money (Pereira, Brenko, Jensen, etc.).

For the other extensions I'd say they havent broken the bank compared to the deadwood we have released.

Staggs is probably like 300k to 600k

Carrigan probs 300k to 450k

Flegler was already high (apparently) so the extension is probably quite small in regards to increased cap hit. Wasnt he like $400k and now he's $600k... I think those reports are completely false and it's probably more like he went from 250k to 300k-400k.

Kobe was base price previously and got a bump to be top 30, so I'd say he's still quite cheap... like 75k development to maybe 150k-200k

Paix was probably already on one of those "promising prospect" deals and potentially getting $250k or so when he was getting flagged as the next Cooper Cronk.. his star had fallen a bit by the time he extended last year so I'd say that would only get a bump up to say 300k or so.

Piakura was probably the biggest bump in reality. He wouldve been a base price rookie that got a decent pay rise to be top 30... he could've gone from 100k base to 300k-400k top 30 and expecting to be in the 17, but he's barely played over the last 12 months and covid has set his development back a fair bit now.

Of course everything is in Dobbo bucks and doesnt mean anything, but I'd say we do still have a fair chunk of cap sitting there ready to go in 2023 onwards... it just comes down to whether we spend it correctly.
Good post, I think. I feel a little like Leo in Inception trying to keep up 🤣

let it go GIF

I'm not on either side, but you'd have to factor in a young guy with his parent(s) in his ear also saying you could really set us up for the rest of our lives here, etc etc.

I don't think a person earning 120k and having an offer for 160k has the same level of pressure.
Not to mention that his capacity for earning that type of money is maybe fifteen years, not a normal job which is more like thirty or forty.

Moving on for the money, even 20-40k more is exactly what people have said everyone would do, if you are keeping up I'm responding to the exact claim.
And nobody has the right to claim with certainty what someone else would do (let everybody else) in any situation. Stating that fact doesn't make me a 14 year old girl. It makes me a mature adult.
And quite frankly, you saying that is highly unnecessary.

Moving on for the money, even 20-40k more is exactly what people have said everyone would do, if you are keeping up I'm responding to the exact claim.
And nobody has the right to claim with certainty what someone else would do (let everybody else) in any situation. Stating that fact doesn't make me a 14 year old girl. It makes me a mature adult.
And quite frankly, you saying that is highly unnecessary.
Who said an NRL player would or shouldmove for 20-40k more? The only way that small amount of money would come into it is opportunity, location or premiership hopes. When it comes to just money as the only option, you can't compare 20 and 500, it's just silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.