Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why the **** is Fifita even being discussed? He isn't our problem anymore.

I wouldn't be dithering signing a $750,000 contract when my employees that I claim to love and grew up supporting just BAILED ME OUT OF A FUCKING BALI GAOL... He's a complete fuckwit.
Enough with this bs" you would take $45,000 or whatever more a year". Have ANY of the employees you guys are deciding between bailed you out of a foreign fucking gaol?!????? He had months to sign that contract, there's a reason his mum got angry when a reporter mentioned that to her, she wanted the money and he delayed signing for the broncos to get more money.
Disgusting tbh...
Anybody that has been to Bali is likely to have paid a fine to the police, it was a weekly thing when I lived there.

He got offered 450k more per year, you're just a crazy person for thinking he made the wrong decision. Athletes have limited time to make a good living, we all know Fifita isn't becoming an electrical engineer when his career is finished.

I guess it's better than talking about how great of a bloke Huge is. But still, this thread continues to be anything but signing and rumour discussion.
Now that you mention it I am somewhat surprised we havent been active in the 2023 market.

I believe we have a shit ton of cap space opening up for 2023 and beyond with all the deadwood finally off contract or off the books... except maybe Lodge.

We have the funds to re-sign whoever we want and/or go after a big fish (like a Reece Walsh)... so we seem somewhat quiet on the R&R front.

Cobbo extension seemingly in the works, Herbie extension gone quiet... but most others in the core group under contract... and then not much happening by the sounds of things.

Everyone here that is complaining, would take 45k more per year without a second thought. Fifita absolutely did the right thing.
God I wish people would stop telling me what I would do, not to mention the complete and utter brain dead lunacy of comparing Joe Average on a $60k salary to a pro athlete on $800k or more.

Yes, the vast majority of people on $60k would sign the contract faster than lightning to get a 50% pay bump - they need the money. No doubt. But why can't you understand there's a point at which when you have a certain amount of money, getting more is meaningless?

I'm nowhere near an $800k salary, I'm at a comfortable $110k mark and I've been offered jobs at other places (doing similar work) for a lot more more money ($20-40k more) and I've turned them down.

Why? I have enough money to live the life I want to live, and I'm happy in the job that I have. I have great workmates, I'm respected, my job is secure.

So FFS people stop telling me that I would.

Special note for @BooKhaki ..... this post is directed at the legion of folks who have said such comments, yours is just the post quoted - it's not singling you out

God I wish people would stop telling me what I would do, not to mention the complete and utter brain dead lunacy of comparing Joe Average on a $60k salary to a pro athlete on $800k or more.

Yes, the vast majority of people on $60k would sign the contract faster than lightning to get a 50% pay bump - they need the money. No doubt. But why can't you understand there's a point at which when you have a certain amount of money, getting more is meaningless?

I'm nowhere near an $800k salary, I'm at a comfortable $110k mark and I've been offered jobs at other places (doing similar work) for a lot more more money ($20-40k more) and I've turned them down.

Why? I have enough money to live the life I want to live, and I'm happy in the job that I have. I have great workmates, I'm respected, my job is secure.

Special note for @BooKhaki ..... this post is directed at the legion of folks who have said such comments, yours is just the post quoted - it's not singling you out
Good on you for being like this, but you'd be in the minority, a lot of people are generally never satisfied with how much they have. The rich want to be even richer.

Ill have to check Zero tackle shortly, as im now intrigued what their take is on the freight we are paying this year?

And as BroncosFan said, how that affects the 2023 cap for us?

Do you seriously believe Fifita can live the rest of his life without working again, if he signed the Broncos 750k contract? If not, then he should absolutely get the biggest contract. He doesn't know what his next one will be, he could do 3 ACL's and need to retire.

As a professional athlete with a career window of lets say 10-13 years for his position and when he started, he has even more need to make more money per contract than someone who is going to be working in their field for 50+ years. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if you're currently on 110k/yr job in Brisbane, and a gig down the coast offered you the same role in a company that gets less public scrutiny, and several of your close mates currently work there, for 160k/yr, then you would take it.

I think if you are talking the top earning athletes then i think you are right, it gets to a point where the money is irrelevant. I dont think there is a rugby league in that kind of company, they just dont earn the dollars. Look at Ronaldo for example, he earns roughly $100k a DAY, and thats just his salary without endorsments. There are plenty of players who only earn around that much in a year.

I still stand by what i say about it, its easy to say you wouldnt until the money is waved under your nose. When its money that can really set you and your family up ( if you are smart ) for not just your lifetime but theirs as well, its a no brainer to sign it. As i said previously, sadly for probably all of us on here, we wont ever get into that position.

Good on you for being like this, but you'd be in the minority, a lot of people are generally never satisfied with how much they have. The rich want to be even richer.

Its still a lot of money in the scheme of things, but 20 or 30k extra over staying happy probably isnt worth it. Almost half a million is going to be very difficult to turn down.

I think if you are talking the top earning athletes then i think you are right, it gets to a point where the money is irrelevant. I dont think there is a rugby league in that kind of company, they just dont earn the dollars. Look at Ronaldo for example, he earns roughly $100k a DAY, and thats just his salary without endorsments. There are plenty of players who only earn around that much in a year.
He's not a great example because he constantly pushed for more money every year or two to keep pace with Messi.

I tend to agree though that using athletes as examples of what a layperson would do is stupid because they live on mars comparatively. It would be difficult to find a parallel to the common schmo when talking about wages etc.

Its still a lot of money in the scheme of things, but 20 or 30k extra over staying happy probably isnt worth it. Almost half a million is going to be very difficult to turn down.
I think people often forget, he will lose probably 50-55% of his salary to tax/agents/financial advisors etc

He's not a great example because he constantly pushed for more money every year or two to keep pace with Messi.

I tend to agree though that using athletes as examples of what a layperson would do is stupid because they live on mars comparatively. It would be difficult to find a parallel to the common schmo when talking about wages etc.

I'd say the average premier league footballer these days is on probably $200k a week though, which is still huge.

In terms of the athletes, it depends on the country and the sport. NRL players arent really big earners so they really need to take the best deals they can. When you look at the best footballer vs NRL player, say Ronaldo and Cam Smith, the pay difference would be phenomenal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.