Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I don't see the point in keeping him around when we know he's not going to be here next season, and let's face it, he's not a critical member of the side. I'm sure we can find another nobody to fill in at FB if Niu goes down.

Upgrade someone in our squad/development squad and promote them. Drinkwater is overrated - if he never played for Melbourne no one would touch him. Our defence is starting to look much better, why include Drinkwater when he's a turnstile at the back? Dude can't make the NQ team and they're just as shithouse.

Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons

NRL Captain
Apr 18, 2013
I wonder if they are going after Drinkwater given he appears to be on the outer.
Would be fine by me given he can play FB or 5/8 as needed…

I know we are not short on 5/8 coverage but it’s always better to have more depth than less and if you asked people who they’d want Drinkwater or Isaako, I know what most who know of them would say…

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Am I the only one who isn't particularly keen on getting Drinkwater? Can someone sell him to me?

Kevvie has put so much emphasis on defence and Drinky is a massive defensive liability.
I'm with you, 2 posts up.

something

something

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2015
I'm with you, 2 posts up.
Yeh , I think his short kicking game is 9/10 and his running is 7/10. But his defence is a 2/10

Whereas Kelly I'd say short kicking 7/10, running 6/10, defence 7/10.... I prefer Kelly.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Yeh , I think his short kicking game is 9/10 and his running is 7/10. But his defence is a 2/10

Whereas Kelly I'd say short kicking 7/10, running 6/10, defence 7/10.... I prefer Kelly.
What about Niu?

something

something

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2015
What about Niu?
Honestly, I don't even know. Niu is so random.

He's played like 15 games or whatever and I dont even know what type of player mould he is yet.

He seems to like playing around the ruck and trying to sniff little opportunities through the middle, but doesn't really link up properly or back up properly yet.. it's very weird.

I'm not sold on Niu at all, but also not unhappy with him either. Just neutral / wait and see

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Honestly, I don't even know. Niu is so random.

He's played like 15 games or whatever and I dont even know what type of player mould he is yet.

He seems to like playing around the ruck and trying to sniff little opportunities through the middle, but doesn't really link up properly or back up properly yet.. it's very weird.

I'm not sold on Niu at all, but also not unhappy with him either. Just neutral / wait and see
Would you rather him or Drinkwater at fullback ?

something

something

QCup Player
Jun 6, 2015
One thing I like about Niu is he looks really fit and he goes looking for work. Just his engagements are a bit subpar, but hopefully as the team gels he goes up a level. But right now, he's the most expendable player in the backline for me.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
I'd say he's mainly signed as injury cover. The Titans desperately need it in the outside backs.

If they have an injury to a winger, he's straight in. If they have an injury in the centres, Sami shifts to centre and Isaako comes on to the wing. If Campbell gets injured, Isaako plays Fullback, etc.

They may even opt to drop Herbert, shift Sami to right centre and play Isaako on the wing. Wouldn't surprise me, Herbert is trash.
From Isaako's perspective, why move though?

Going from first backup at 1 club to first backup at another. Doesn't really make much sense.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008

Going from first backup at 1 club to first backup at another. Doesn't really make much sense.
Oh, I'd be very surprised if he was seen as purely backup. I reckon the Tits might be very pleased with things. Sure, initially they'd publicly say 'he's a welcome addition to the SQUAD' which we all know means a depth signing but I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn he has been told he'll be running around in first grade.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
WE are pretty much only saving 7 or 8 months of his contract so i would be surprised if we could upgrade anyone we need to with that amount.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

He's probably been told behind the scenes we are going to use him a great deal where i bet the Titans have said he will be a viable option if he performs. I dont think he is getting that at Brisbane tbh.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013
WE are pretty much only saving 7 or 8 months of his contract so i would be surprised if we could upgrade anyone we need to with that amount.
7 to 8 months of a ~350k contract could be up to 230k or so...why not upgrade someone if it helps offset the next year or 2?

What else are we going to do with it?

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
7 to 8 months of a ~350k contract could be up to 230k or so...why not upgrade someone if it helps offset the next year or 2?

What else are we going to do with it?

I'd say we are looking at around that $230-230k mark, but its not going to cover much of an upgrade unless its purely for the remainder of this year. And thats also presuming we havent agreed to chip in a bit of his salary to get him off the books. At a guess, i think we have probably agreed to chip in a smallish amount.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
I am also not really all that keen on Drinkwater and I am also really happy to persist with Niu. I just feel like he has a lot of tools (like Isaako did), the issue will be whether it can all click for him (like Isaako didn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  • Organix
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Fitzy
  • broncotville
  • Sproj
  • thenry
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.