Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
The bummer about the new Dolphins is that it will impact our signings over the next year. I was looking forward to November as I think we are still about 3 signings shy of a top class team and was optimistic about some of the options available. However it will be hard to compete with a new team that will be desperate to put together a first grade side and it will be hard to compete with Wayne and the excitement of joining a new club. Especially as we haven’t had the chance to put some good form together to attract talent.

Players who’s main priority was being in Brisbane now have a second and potentially more appealing option. I think we were a really good chance of getting Welch for 2023 but now I struggle to think why he’d join us over the Dolphins. Same could be said for Smith and Manu.

I think it’s bad timing for us as 2023 would’ve really seen us bounce back and had good options in the player market to round out the team.

Welch and a hooker would’ve really made us competitive.
This November would of been the perfect timing aswell with all the players experiencing life in Queensland for most parts of the past year i think we would of had a good chance of landing a couple.
I think Grant should be our biggest target and holding on to Mozer to work as a apprentice to him.

The bummer about the new Dolphins is that it will impact our signings over the next year. I was looking forward to November as I think we are still about 3 signings shy of a top class team and was optimistic about some of the options available. However it will be hard to compete with a new team that will be desperate to put together a first grade side and it will be hard to compete with Wayne and the excitement of joining a new club. Especially as we haven’t had the chance to put some good form together to attract talent.

Players who’s main priority was being in Brisbane now have a second and potentially more appealing option. I think we were a really good chance of getting Welch for 2023 but now I struggle to think why he’d join us over the Dolphins. Same could be said for Smith and Manu.

I think it’s bad timing for us as 2023 would’ve really seen us bounce back and had good options in the player market to round out the team.

Welch and a hooker would’ve really made us competitive.

Hence why my bullshit meter has been going off these last couple of years during our conveniently timed fall from grace. Now that we are no longer seen as a heavyweight, like you said, it has become more appealing for players to jump on board a new, shiny, yet completely unproven team. And players would surely know by now that darling clubs get all sorts of helping hands by the NRL to ensure they are successful on the field. Even if players are chasing a payday over success, going to a club that is guaranteed results would certainly bump up their asking price for when they are next chasing a contract.

Hence why my bullshit meter has been going off these last couple of years during our conveniently timed fall from grace. Now that we are no longer seen as a heavyweight, like you said, it has become more appealing for players to jump on board a new, shiny, yet completely unproven team. And players would surely know by now that darling clubs get all sorts of helping hands by the NRL to ensure they are successful on the field. Even if players are chasing a payday over success, going to a club that is guaranteed results would certainly bump up their asking price for when they are next chasing a contract.
I know right - how convenient.

Some of the timing smacks of deliberate planning to undermine us. However, our previous management (if they were any good) should have been able to mitigate at least our side of the equation by keeping our roster strong. They have failed miserably in that regard and it is only now that Kevvie, DD and Ikin are onboard that that situation is being rectified.

I know right - how convenient.

Some of the timing smacks of deliberate planning to undermine us. However, our previous management (if they were any good) should have been able to mitigate at least our side of the equation by keeping our roster strong. They have failed miserably in that regard and it is only now that Kevvie, DD and Ikin are onboard that that situation is being rectified.
Yeah I’d be more inclined to believe the fairly appealing conspiracy if it weren’t for how demonstrably inept the club had been over the last few years.

Find it hard to believe that the NRL made Nolan or White as bad at their jobs as they were.

Or it could simply be coincidence that our rocky patch happened as it did. Conspiracy 101 dictates that one should always default to the most unlikely explanation and then after blindly accepting the explanation find evidence to support the position. From then on one must be very angry about 'the fact' everyone is out to ensure the conspiracy succeeds.

It's going to be interesting to see how we all cope not being the Courier Mail's fixation through good times and bad. Badel & Meyn will be writing about both teams now, and our journey won't be anywhere near as interesting as theirs. The narrative that we're living in a fish bowl is officially over.

What's more, we'll be in the unfortunate position of being the villains in the drama for at least two seasons. Not because of anything we've done, will do, or can do, but because the Dolphins will either be the underdogs doing it tough against the entrenched bully or the birth of a new dynasty.

We're damned whether we win or lose. But give it a couple of years and we'll see whether this new team is the next Chargers or the next Storm. Regular programming will resume. But we're in for a bumpy ride.

Brent Read is reporting that we've held initial talks with Reed Mahoney.

he says that sources have told News Corp that we've been approached over Mahoney and talks have taken place ... still in the "embryonic" stage though.

no quotes from anyone at all

he says that sources have told News Corp that we've been approached over Mahoney and talks have taken place ... still in the "embryonic" stage though.

Given his self-confessed dislike of us, this smells of an attempt to set up a bidding war.

Probably not the last 9 to be linked to us

3rd or maybe equal 2nd best option behind Grant and Smith.
Qld kid and should come at a cheaper price then the other 2.
Seems to not be a dickhead
I'm happy with that if true aslong as he can get that shoulder right.
Might be something happening down at Parramatta..

There’s Mahoney, Smith, Grant, and Api all available and any one of them would be a massive improvement. Surely we get one of them.

I think Eels are in a bit of trouble moving forward with some of the players they may lose.

Yeah nah. If Mahoney is happy to move to QLD at all, he will likely be snapped up by the Dolphins.

Yeah nah. If Mahoney is happy to move to QLD at all, he will likely be snapped up by the Dolphins.
Redcliffe will probably go hard at Brandon and Grant first and I reckon we could snap Mahoney up. I like the optimisim of a player like the cheese or Harry but in my eyes they are virtually unattainable with Redcliffe now in the picture and Storm still more promising a joint then us. I actually reckon Mahoney would be good cause he is quite good but at the same time he is flickable when Mozer is ready and if he is doing great guns then we will have to bite the bullet and tell Mozer to **** off. Really if we want a good hooker now you just have to ignore Mozer altogether. I reckon have a crack at Mahoney and see how that goes for us. If not we can have a go at the api’s, Brandon’s and grants and if that doesn’t work out then well we will just sit it out with paix until Mozer is ready.

Would think though if him grant and smith are all looking to come back to qld we would be a chance at one of them,and of the three he might be the better value for money.

Redcliffe will probably go hard at Brandon and Grant first and I reckon we could snap Mahoney up. I like the optimisim of a player like the cheese or Harry but in my eyes they are virtually unattainable with Redcliffe now in the picture and Storm still more promising a joint then us. I actually reckon Mahoney would be good cause he is quite good but at the same time he is flickable when Mozer is ready and if he is doing great guns then we will have to bite the bullet and tell Mozer to **** off. Really if we want a good hooker now you just have to ignore Mozer altogether. I reckon have a crack at Mahoney and see how that goes for us. If not we can have a go at the api’s, Brandon’s and grants and if that doesn’t work out then well we will just sit it out with paix until Mozer is ready.
Only thing to add is that with Mozer I think we probably need to get him hooked up for a long time now and make him wait probably 2 years q-cup and a year of benching before starting so we do have plenty of time with Mahoney if that’s the case

Mahoney would be an amazing pick up but this absolutely stinks of simply driving prices up.
Yeah, didn’t take long for managers to try and leverage us vs the Dolphins in the player market. It’s gonna be a massive obstacle until they’re roster is more settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dazza 92
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Battler
  • Skathen
  • Culhwch
  • Foordy
  • Alec
  • Fitzy
  • Santa
  • barker
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.