Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
In all seriousness this getting cranky about Kennedy is a bit ridiculous. Kennedy is a perfectly fine depth bench option. He wouldn’t have played Friday night if both Haas & Flegler weren’t out. Carrigan was out too. He is 8th in line with both Piakura & Williamson both being out too. We aren’t going to be competitive this year if we have heaps of injuries and suspensions. Also, we have better depth in the backs than the forwards.

However, I think we’ve shown enough that if we can get our full strength team on the park we can match it with most teams.

We’ve already used 25 players by round 6. Hard to build combinations with that much turn around.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
However, I think we’ve shown enough that if we can get our full strength team on the park we can match it with most teams.

We’ve already used 25 players by round 6. Hard to build combinations with that much turn around.
Players getting injured… hopefully that’s an issue that gets addressed. I’m sure there’s an element of luck involved but we can’t be that unlucky surely.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
In all seriousness this getting cranky about Kennedy is a bit ridiculous. Kennedy is a perfectly fine depth bench option. He wouldn’t have played Friday night if both Haas & Flegler weren’t out. Carrigan was out too. He is 8th in line with both Piakura & Williamson both being out too. We aren’t going to be competitive this year if we have heaps of injuries and suspensions. Also, we have better depth in the backs than the forwards.

I've always said i think he is fine. Just dont think he or any of our bench players the other night were effective at all.

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
I've always said i think he is fine. Just dont think he or any of our bench players the other night were effective at all.
I'm a half fan of Kennedy, don't hate him but his performance on Friday tonight was pretty trashy, he threw a dumb offload right into APIs arms and offered no go forward.

In saying that James was way worse, he offers little to nothing but Walters keep on harping on about his talk, his talk isn't good for much if he isn't tackling people or gaining any metres. With that kevvie left him on far too long as well

holdzy

holdzy

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
May 5, 2016
I'm a half fan of Kennedy, don't hate him but his performance on Friday tonight was pretty trashy, he threw a dumb offload right into APIs arms and offered no go forward.

In saying that James was way worse, he offers little to nothing but Walters keep on harping on about his talk, his talk isn't good for much if he isn't tackling people or gaining any metres. With that kevvie left him on far too long as well

James does everything in slow motion. If his talk ain’t stopping tries, **** it.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
I think our first move would be to convince Ben Ikin we need to hit the market to fix the 1 and the 9.
Good chance we already have our long term fullback, starting this weekend.

Emanon

Emanon

QCup Player
Apr 26, 2021
I think our first move would be to convince Ben Ikin we need to hit the market to fix the 1 and the 9.

Hookers:
Berrell
Parcell
Simpkin
Liddle
Mamouzelos

Fullbacks:
CNK
Drinkwater
Turuva

I like Arthars but I think we let him stay at the Warriors. Kennedy goes, Turps goes. Oates contract needs to be reduced to let’s say 300. I think it’s time we cut our losses with Flegler and let him walk. You have to be disciplined in today’s era and he is not. I don’t want to pay 600k for front rower who is barely in the field, plays bench most of the time and has the same/less output on a game than someone like Palasia does who is on about 1/3 of the money. That way we can finance a fullback and hopefully a serviceable hooker at a young age who can deter our need to rush Mozer but also allow us to win games and start pushing for finals.
Im starting to agree about Flegler. I think he will be a very good player in time, but he's almost 50 games in and still working on the same issues. It could be worth looking at Taupau coming off the bench instead if he has anything left in him.

I'm not sure if buying a hooker to pretty much cover until Mozer is ready is that good of an idea though personally. I think it they think the kids are good enough, put them in the NRL as soon as possible. And let them learn from their mistakes in the first 5-10 games.

Then you have to factor in NRL playing experience for those younger guys. Talent plays a part as well, but experience does come into it.

When you look at the amount of games Penrith's team had that lined up for the 2021 Grand Final, there spine was roughly:
1. Edwards 78 games
6. Luai 64 games
7. Cleary 116 games
9. Korisau 143 games
13. Yeo 171 games

With most of the rest of the their pack were around the 100 game mark. Capewell was around 98.

If you compare that to where we are after losing to them in Round 6, 2022 we are:

1. Nui 27 games
6. Walters 18 games
7. Reynolds 236 games
9. Turpin 51 games
13. Hetherington 19 games.

If anything, it shows that there is to much of a reliance on Reynolds at the moment.

Even if you threw Mozer or Mam in now, they are at least 2 injury free NRL seasons away from a premiership with luck going their way based off that.

I think they need to role the dice on it. Everybody can recognise talent straight away. But after a season they should see improvement as well, when there isn't any that's when fans will start getting pissed.

Nikorima or Drinkwater would be good guys to look at. Maybe even Moylan too. Just to see if we can do that Melbourne thing where they put guys in spine positions too.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
Knights pulled their deal with Ponga so looks like there is more of a chance he's going to the Dolphins. If Ponga goes to the Dolphins that leaves Walsh (if he wants to remain in QLD) or Munster.
Dolphins won't get all 3, they might get 2.
DD and Ikin better be making some plays for 1 of those 3.
I'd probably go hardest for Walsh.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Knights pulled their deal with Ponga so looks like there is more of a chance he's going to the Dolphins. If Ponga goes to the Dolphins that leaves Walsh (if he wants to remain in QLD) or Munster.
Word is Newcastle is now going after Munster, but I think you're right. There's an even bigger chance Reece will stay in NZ though, especially if Cobbo nails down fullback.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015

If they have any sense they will go for Walsh and Munster. As good as Ponga is, he is on the sidelines way to much to have a massive impact there.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Im starting to agree about Flegler. I think he will be a very good player in time, but he's almost 50 games in and still working on the same issues. It could be worth looking at Taupau coming off the bench instead if he has anything left in him.

I'm not sure if buying a hooker to pretty much cover until Mozer is ready is that good of an idea though personally. I think it they think the kids are good enough, put them in the NRL as soon as possible. And let them learn from their mistakes in the first 5-10 games.

Then you have to factor in NRL playing experience for those younger guys. Talent plays a part as well, but experience does come into it.

When you look at the amount of games Penrith's team had that lined up for the 2021 Grand Final, there spine was roughly:
1. Edwards 78 games
6. Luai 64 games
7. Cleary 116 games
9. Korisau 143 games
13. Yeo 171 games

With most of the rest of the their pack were around the 100 game mark. Capewell was around 98.

If you compare that to where we are after losing to them in Round 6, 2022 we are:

1. Nui 27 games
6. Walters 18 games
7. Reynolds 236 games
9. Turpin 51 games
13. Hetherington 19 games.

If anything, it shows that there is to much of a reliance on Reynolds at the moment.

Even if you threw Mozer or Mam in now, they are at least 2 injury free NRL seasons away from a premiership with luck going their way based off that.

I think they need to role the dice on it. Everybody can recognise talent straight away. But after a season they should see improvement as well, when there isn't any that's when fans will start getting pissed.

Nikorima or Drinkwater would be good guys to look at. Maybe even Moylan too. Just to see if we can do that Melbourne thing where they put guys in spine positions too.

The last thing we want to do is again throw in more unproven players into this team. Seibold tried it and its backfired and we are still suffering because if it.

The only way is for them to step up and play really good footy in Queensland cup. Once they are doing that, consider them. Mam for example isnt doing well enough in Qcup to warrant picking him.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Any chance we sign Ponga? Can't say I want him but you'd think the club would be exploring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Fozz
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • Dash
  • Strop
  • Horseheadsup
  • Galah
  • Robboi_321
  • Santa
  • kman
  • RolledOates
  • Pablo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.