Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you do when you have someone like Mozer, been at the Broncos since 13 and contract at 15 but has come through the Coast?

That’s why I think you need to get away from pathways or juniors. It needs to be age and signing.
I agree we need to stop calling them juniors and actually get down to the meat
I agree but I’m not sure of the best way to do it.

Clubs take players from all the place and don’t even move them until they are 18 so even though you have them signed they’re not from your area. If you reward area you’re really only rewarding a very small minority.

Broncos wouldn’t get anything for Staggs they signed him at 15 in 2014. Scanlan went and signed him and kept him there until Dolphins Colts.
It should have nothing to do with the location you get the talent from and more about what you put into it. The club should have to prove they invested into the kid and actually made them a better footy player. I don't think slapping Broncos sticker on a jersey ala Gympie Devils or Bribie Warangals should make their players yours. Those Clubs never got better and either did the players. Granted some talent got picked up, but the NRL should stop talking about juniors as it is used as an excuse like they said the Roosters don't have a junior area. Nothing stops any club going out doing the hard work, Politis wants another club in the Ipswich area, why because he wants another club scouting and developing players so the Roosters can pick them up on the backend.

Or the NRL does the next best thing and looks at either reinstating a reserve grade or not increasing the NRL salary cap and instead using that to fund the qcup and nsw sides so they can have more players earning enough to not work. More time training means more players that are NRL ready.

People really show their low footy IQ by saying Carrigan isn’t a good player. Do they forget how good he was in 2019 and 2020? There is massive recency bias based on his poor start to this season.

I think generally speaking, people know he is a good player but I don't think many view him as a 450-500k a year player.

I think generally speaking, people know he is a good player but I don't think many view him as a 450-500k a year player.
It sucks for patty cause he is looking at all these over inflated prices for players that are nowhere near as good as him… but the matter of the fact is you can’t win with over inflated salaries… however Carrigan is young and heavily regarded as our future captain so I’d probably give a 100k leeway and take a look at a 500-600k deal for probably 1 more year then the 2 offered. I haven’t even had a read of what everyone else says. Patty is criminially underrated and is a must keep in my books (within reason). The way I view it is we can upgrade/extend Payne (not to desperate yet),Carrigan and Selwyn as well as afford a good hooker.

It sucks for patty cause he is looking at all these over inflated prices for players that are nowhere near as good as him… but the matter of the fact is you can’t win with over inflated salaries… however Carrigan is young and heavily regarded as our future captain so I’d probably give a 100k leeway and take a look at a 500-600k deal for probably 1 more year then the 2 offered. I haven’t even had a read of what everyone else says. Patty is criminially underrated and is a must keep in my books (within reason). The way I view it is we can upgrade/extend Payne (not to desperate yet),Carrigan and Selwyn as well as afford a good hooker.
He has one of the worst ruck defences in the comp. He is Joe Offa 2.0 just smarter in regards to penalties. The new game doesn’t suit him.

If the Broncos can somehow get rid of Flegler early, then sure, give Carrigan extra. Otherwise it could be putting too much money into the forwards again and having to again wait longer until the balance is fixed and Broncos are actual contenders.

People really show their low footy IQ by saying Carrigan isn’t a good player. Do they forget how good he was in 2019 and 2020? There is massive recency bias based on his poor start to this season.
Yeah mate. I remember when we were getting pumped by 40 every week and 60 mins into every game everyone standing around with hands on hips and Pat having 2-3 runs a set out of our end.

Someone else said it. But i also see him going the same way as Parker.

Up until now I've been loathe to get into the Patty debate as it's all really manufactured jibber jabber.
This is the guy who (before doing his ACL) was coming into Red Hill for extra training on public holidays, this is the guy as someone rightly said was one of the few who was still willing to take two sometimes three carries in a set when the whole team were gassed due to a shit run of '6 agains'. Pat's type in the shape of a fearless forward do not come along that often.

Next to Haas, I rate Carrigan as our next best forward. In terms of brains, self-motivation and footy smarts he's head and shoulders above the rest of our pack. Additionally, he's a clean skin and perfect example of how TO behave off the field.

At times he was guilty of giving away needless penalties and he did have a spell where he had feet for hands. Much of this though stemmed from him having the captaincy thrust on his young shoulders which made him naturally think he had to do more. With Reynolds calling the shots Pat will settle down and become a reliable forward in the same mold as Thorn and Gillo.

Another 4 or 5 years and he'll be an absolute banger of a captain. The adversity and the resilience gained from playing in those dark days of Pies will eventually pay huge dividends.

He has one of the worst ruck defences in the comp. He is Joe Offa 2.0 just smarter in regards to penalties. The new game doesn’t suit him.
He’s not even one of the worst ruck defenders in our team lol. As wolfie said, he has lapses when he’s severely fatigued after being on too long. I would argue also a lot of the penalties/six agains he gives away are because he’s trying to give our line time to reset. Because we were losing the ruck so much this happened more than other teams

He’s not even one of the worst ruck defenders in our team lol. As wolfie said, he has lapses when he’s severely fatigued after being on too long. I would argue also a lot of the penalties/six agains he gives away are because he’s trying to give our line time to reset. Because we were losing the ruck so much this happened more than other teams

Carrigan still has plenty to improve on. No doubt he had defensive lapses, but so does Payne Haas when he gets fatigued as well. They were poorly managed, said so at the time and i still believe it now. Payne especially i think with the size of him needs to play less minutes but the ones he does play will be of even higher quality if we manage him better. We now have the option of getting Pat out of lock and having a prop rotation choice of Flegler, Carrigan, Haas, James, Jensen and Kennedy and that means we can ease in the likes of Robati ( who i think is far more suited to lock anyway )and Willison with less pressure on their shoulders.

Carrigan still has plenty to improve on. No doubt he had defensive lapses, but so does Payne Haas when he gets fatigued as well. They were poorly managed, said so at the time and i still believe it now. Payne especially i think with the size of him needs to play less minutes but the ones he does play will be of even higher quality if we manage him better. We now have the option of getting Pat out of lock and having a prop rotation choice of Flegler, Carrigan, Haas, James, Jensen and Kennedy and that means we can ease in the likes of Robati ( who i think is far more suited to lock anyway )and Willison with less pressure on their shoulders.
I think Patty, if managed right, has a long career in the origin squad, maybe not always top 17 but he’ll be in most extended lists at least. I don’t want to lose him but I also don’t want to pay him close to Welch money.

I think Patty, if managed right, has a long career in the origin squad, maybe not always top 17 but he’ll be in most extended lists at least. I don’t want to lose him but I also don’t want to pay him close to Welch money.
Welch in the current market is probably a 700k-$750k a year player and approaching his peak years now, i dont think Pat is anywhere near that level yet, he needs a consistent couple of years. I still honestly dont believe he is asking for huge money anyway, i think he is probably looking for a 3 year deal. At the same time though, like the majority of people out there, if he gets offered a ridiculous contract from the Dolphins i can see him taking it and he would probably be stupid not to.

Parra's talks with Mahoney are at 600k.

Parra's talks with Mahoney are at 600k.
I still dont want Mahoney... not because he said he hates the Broncos, but because prior to his 2020 form he was very one dimensional and was basically a tackle bot.

It'd be a big risk to throw a large contract at him for a potential blip in form, also noting that his season was also injury plagued

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.