Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
The issue with Fifita is that Riki is signed till 2024, so even if Fifita decided to come home the Broncos would have to find a suitor for Riki and it would likely cost them more money. I could also see fans not wanting to upset the apple cart too much.

Fifita plays a different style to Riki (Riki is being used more as an all-rounder, Fifita is all out offence) so it remains to be seen whether that would mesh well with the Broncos.

Factor in the way the players have put in and the culture that has been built around players like Riki, I can understand fans willing to show him some patience and loyalty.

Granted there's a big part of me that wants to see the prodigal son return, repent his decision to join the Titans and absolutely kill it for the Broncos. Whether it's actually what the Broncos need be damned.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Fifita can go **** himself. Haas is the last player left of the selfish ***** that did their best to destroy this team so we shouldn’t be looking to bring one of the shitcunt crew back.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The issue with Fifita is that Riki is signed till 2024, so even if Fifita decided to come home the Broncos would have to find a suitor for Riki and it would likely cost them more money. I could also see fans not wanting to upset the apple cart too much.

Fifita plays a different style to Riki (Riki is being used more as an all-rounder, Fifita is all out offence) so it remains to be seen whether that would mesh well with the Broncos.

Factor in the way the players have put in and the culture that has been built around players like Riki, I can understand fans willing to show him some patience and loyalty.

Granted there's a big part of me that wants to see the prodigal son return, repent his decision to join the Titans and absolutely kill it for the Broncos. Whether it's actually what the Broncos need be damned.
If we were to get Fifita would it have to mean the end of Riki though??

I know people are suggesting that Riki would need to go in order to fund Fifita, but if Haas wants out then does that not free up the money for Fifita instantly?

Riki to me could play a role as a middle forward as well... he's strong, agile and lanky. Having Riki on the bench in the middle rotation gives us second row cover and if an injury occurs then he goes straight into the starting side, so he acts as depth as well.

Did he not play as an edge and middle forward coming through??

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

I know people are suggesting that Riki would need to go in order to fund Fifita, but if Haas wants out then does that not free up the money for Fifita instantly?

Riki to me could play a role as a middle forward as well... he's strong, agile and lanky. Having Riki on the bench in the middle rotation gives us second row cover and if an injury occurs then he goes straight into the starting side, so he acts as depth as well.

Riki made the transition to front row at Norths in U/20s back in 2019. That's certainly a fair call, so it just comes down to whether Fifita can play a harder style of footy.

Emanon

Emanon

QCup Player
Apr 26, 2021
I'm a no on Fifita returning. He is an amazing player when in form, but from a balancing the squad and sustainability perspective I don't think he is really required.

I'd rather have another Capewell style guy in a similar age group if for whatever reason Riki moved on at some point. Then bring two young rookie second rowers through together,similar to what the Cowboys did.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I'm a no on Fifita returning. He is an amazing player when in form, but from a balancing the squad and sustainability perspective I don't think he is really required.

I'd rather have another Capewell style guy in a similar age group if for whatever reason Riki moved on at some point. Then bring two young rookie second rowers through together,similar to what the Cowboys did.

My stance on Fifita is very much based around the figure they're prepared to pay him, he's a genuine match winner and can do some freakish things but he won't do it consistently and isn't likely to do it in a tight game being played between the 20 metre lines.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
My stance on Fifita is very much based around the figure they're prepared to pay him, he's a genuine match winner and can do some freakish things but he won't do it consistently and isn't likely to do it in a tight game being played between the 20 metre lines.

Which if so, makes him a pointless player, he’ll always go missing in the big games as they are always tight. There’s a reason he wanted to play at the Titans, they aren’t in many tight games and they paid him way, way more than he is worth.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Riki is lucky to be still getting picked.

Whaaa ?
Played his best game in a while yesterday . I doubt he is getting dropped .

Riki doesn`t make enough metres to play middle .
Soft runner of the ball for a guy with his physique . Hoskins showed him how it`s done yesterday .

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Whaaa ?

Soft runner of the ball for a guy with his physique . Hoskins showed him how it`s done yesterday .
I agree with why you said regarding Riki but I’m not sure if our 2 comments are mutually exclusive

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Whaaa ?

I have mixed feelings on Jordan. In general, I think he's underrated, but I'd like to see him more involved with the ball in hand. He's a distinct step down from Capewell. But then everyone is.

He probably didn't run as many metres as Hosking because the priority on that side was getting the ball to Staggs. Pereira got most of his ball hitting up through the middle.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
I have mixed feelings on Jordan. In general, I think he's underrated, but I'd like to see him more involved with the ball in hand. He's a distinct step down from Capewell. But then everyone is.

He probably didn't run as many metres as Hosking because the priority on that side was getting the ball to Staggs.

When Riki debuted he hit the clear and ran around the full back .
We thought you beauty another attacking weapon .

Since then he seems to have lost a yard or two in pace and no post contact metres , no off loads ?
He did some hard yards yesterday . It was good to see . I think he has gone missing in attack this season .
Maybe a strategy to give Kptoni and Selwyn more time and space . But I do think Riki threatening inside them would give them more space .

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
When Riki debuted he hit the clear and ran around the full back .
We thought you beauty another attacking weapon .

Since then he seems to have lost a yard or two in pace and no post contact metres , no off loads ?
He did some hard yards yesterday . It was good to see . I think he has gone missing in attack this season .
Maybe a strategy to give Kptoni and Selwyn more time and space . But I do think Riki threatening inside them would give them more space .
I think riki's contributions in defence is underrated. He works very well with reynolds, has good line speed and lateral movement and has good scramble defence.

My issue with his attack is he runs directly at the opposition half, rather than the gap on either side of them which he should. Even if the half misses the tackle on him, he is usually held up enough for other defenders to get there. He also runs the same speed as, next to and on the same angle as his half rather than cutting in faster at a different angle (I.e. like oates does so well). I thought him playing next to reyolds would have improved his attack but he is just not an attacking threat he should be. Whether this is a fatigue issue duets his efforts in defence or what I am unsure. If a fatigue issue he may benefit playing less minutes and having robati fill in for 20 or so mins.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
I think riki's contributions in defence is underrated. He works very well with reynolds, has good line speed and lateral movement and has good scramble defence.

I actually think because hes been focusing on this, that other parts of his game arent improving as quick. A year or two more under his belt and i think his confidence will lift. Could be an age/experience thing and just feeling a little overloaded in roles. He was reasonably solid yesterday, considering didnt have Patty/Flegs/Haas around the middle.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017

My issue with his attack is he runs directly at the opposition half, rather than the gap on either side of them which he should. Even if the half misses the tackle on him, he is usually held up enough for other defenders to get there. He also runs the same speed as, next to and on the same angle as his half rather than cutting in faster at a different angle (I.e. like oates does so well). I thought him playing next to reyolds would have improved his attack but he is just not an attacking threat he should be. Whether this is a fatigue issue duets his efforts in defence or what I am unsure. If a fatigue issue he may benefit playing less minutes and having robati fill in for 20 or so mins.

Good defender .
Below average attacker .Capewell ,TC and even Hoskins have all been better with the ball .

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Riki has also made some decent try savers on and over the line this year or been part of a group of defenders who have shown desperation to stop a try. He is coming along well, I think the attacking part will come but it will be a case of whether that happens before or after he is overtaken by Robati and / or Piakura.

Fitzy

Fitzy

NRL Captain
Sep 10, 2018
I actually think because hes been focusing on this, that other parts of his game arent improving as quick. A year or two more under his belt and i think his confidence will lift. Could be an age/experience thing and just feeling a little overloaded in roles. He was reasonably solid yesterday, considering didnt have Patty/Flegs/Haas around the middle.
I definitely do not have an issue with Riki in our side. His attack is near non existent but I appreciate his role in defence especially considering it wasn’t much chop before this season. However I really don’t think we have 1 or 2 years to give him.

Apart from gradual development from players there has to be an area that this team significantly improves in to be able to match it with top teams next year and years to come. Personally I believe that’s fullback (which we have done) and possibly Robati on the right edge cause I think he can be massive in the NRL and proved it twice with his two opportunities in the second row. On top of that hopefully some more consistent form with Staggs next year and we can be a massive force.

Not ruling Riki out yet and whilst I really do like him it’s one of those situations where you are almost better off shopping him off to somewhere where he can start than wasting him in reserves. I don’t know, I sure as shit am not as critical on him as others and I definitely see both sides of the spectrum. If we didn’t have anyone better I wouldn’t hesitate he does the job and is a great role player and I appreciate role players. But I think you can’t have an ineffective back rower offensively on such an important edge because it makes everything so predictable in offence that it is going out to Staggs and Cobbo. Imagine if it’s Robati on that edge and every time he takes a run he bumps one off or he makes a slight break, or 3 blokes have to commit to him to get him down all of a sudden you got numbers properly committing to Robati and then Staggs and Cobbo got space, time and the speed to take advantage of Reynolds and Robati’s workings on their inside.

B

blacknwhite

Jul 12, 2022
Hi everyone,

Some rumours going round that Tyson Gamble is being looked at by Hull FC in SL.

Has anyone heard anything?

Not sure if there is too much in it. We've signed Tex Hoy from the Knights for next season, but last week we were linked with Gamble and Brandon Wakeham...

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Hi everyone,

Some rumours going round that Tyson Gamble is being looked at by Hull FC in SL.

Has anyone heard anything?

Not sure if there is too much in it. We've signed Tex Hoy from the Knights for next season, but last week we were linked with Gamble and Brandon Wakeham...
Nah The Gambler’s magic don’t work over there coz there is a complete breakdown in communications. The language barrier is just too great for his magic to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Bucking Beads
  • TimWhatley
  • Dash
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Broncorob
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Wolfie
  • Allo
  • Fatboy
  • Gympie devil
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • matthewransom34@ic
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.