Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Bring in a hooker instead of playing the coach’s Q Cup 5/8 son there?
I'm hoping we've moved past the argument about whether Billy is good enough at hooker to enhance our spine, rather than just another passenger to weigh Reynolds down. Everyone seems to agree we need a genuine premiership grade hooker.

I'm going one further and saying if we have a proper hooker, we can put a different kind of utility on the bench. One that offers more than Billy, and him being cheap isn't compelling argument. Kevvie isn't going to enjoy dropping his bargain basement son back to Cup, but that's the collision waiting to happen. Let's take that car off the road now.

As for not being able to find a sharper utility, well we already have Paix who can offer exactly the same as Billy in short bursts. Probably more. And he's already signed for another year. No need to renew Billy.

If we had a starting hooker who could play more minutes, and who didn't have to justify his selection through defence alone, we still might be able to bring in a bargain basement utility like say an Albert Kelly or James Segyaro type who could wreak havoc against tired forwards for 15 minutes.

We're currently caught in this bind where our dummy halves are required to do too much heavy lifting in defence. Maybe they only need to not be turnstiles if they're coming off the bench for a stint.

L

Locky888

QCup Player
Aug 28, 2015
Priority should be to show the door to:
Karl Morris
Kevin Walters
Billy Walters
Turpin
Niu

Use Haas as trade-bait for a class hooker. Find a new head-coach, Chairman, support staff.

Beating Melbourne should be the benchmark for the new head coach. If you can't out-coach Bellamy, you're never going to win the premiership. So give the new coach 1 year to prove himself, keep turning over coaches until we land a gem. Fastest way to a premiership. Loyalty is dead.

Ideally News Corp divests it's ownership in the Broncos.

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
Priority should be to show the door to:
Karl Morris
Kevin Walters
Billy Walters
Turpin
Niu

Use Haas as trade-bait for a class hooker. Find a new head-coach, Chairman, support staff.

Beating Melbourne should be the benchmark for the new head coach. If you can't out-coach Bellamy, you're never going to win the premiership. So give the new coach 1 year to prove himself, keep turning over coaches until we land a gem. Fastest way to a premiership. Loyalty is dead.

Ideally News Corp divests it's ownership in the Broncos.

One year? I'd hate to see the coaches you're going to have to resort to in five years' time, let alone twenty-five, because no one is going to bring you that immediate success you are craving.

The quality of coach wanting to come is definitely going to increase every time you sack another coach. Players will also no doubt be lining up to sign for whichever mystery coach will be in place in a year and a bit when they will be due to arrive.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Billy Walters is fine as a squad member. The issue is he is currently one of our two best 9s and he shouldn’t be. It’s a massive issue that the only semi-decent 9 we have is Paix and the emphasis there is on the semi part. I think one of the big issues here is that we had Levi who was clearly better than all three and we didn’t even try to keep him.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Billy Walters is fine as a squad member. The issue is he is currently one of our two best 9s and he shouldn’t be. It’s a massive issue that the only semi-decent 9 we have is Paix and the emphasis there is on the semi part. I think one of the big issues here is that we had Levi who was clearly better than all three and we didn’t even try to keep him.
What's the point of paying a squad member (of the spine) who only gets a game if you're down to your last egg? I get it in theory, bargain basement and everything, but the trouble with this particular example is when Kevvie delivers the fantastic news to his son that he's back on the team, it doubles with "this is how fucked we are."

L

Locky888

QCup Player
Aug 28, 2015
One year? I'd hate to see the coaches you're going to have to resort to in five years' time, let alone twenty-five, because no one is going to bring you that immediate success you are craving.

The quality of coach wanting to come is definitely going to increase every time you sack another coach. Players will also no doubt be lining up to sign for whichever mystery coach will be in place in a year and a bit when they will be due to arrive.
I don't expect a coach to win a premiership in their first year but 1 year is long enough to determine if a coach is competent enough to move the needle. It should be a privilege to coach the Broncos, a coach with enough confidence within himself knowing he'll make a positive difference will take up the job.

We've already churned through these coaches Henjack, Griffin, Seibold with multi-year contracts and yet here we are. It's just a waste of time, effort and money. Even good companies will put a staff through a 3 month probationary period before a permanent hire.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
What's the point of paying a squad member (of the spine) who only gets a game if you're down to your last egg? I get it in theory, bargain basement and everything, but the trouble with this particular example is when Kevvie delivers the fantastic news to his son that he's back on the team, it doubles with "this is how fucked we are."

But then look at someone like Gamble. He is the ideal back up half and really, is good enough to be a starting half or bench player (and definitely should be on the bench). He is exactly what you want as your back up player but guess what, he doesn't want to be so he is wanting a release to take up a first team position elsewhere.

I get what you are saying in theory but in practice, as highlighted by Tyson Responsibly, it doesn't work.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
But then look at someone like Gamble. He is the ideal back up half and really, is good enough to be a starting half or bench player (and definitely should be on the bench). He is exactly what you want as your back up player but guess what, he doesn't want to be so he is wanting a release to take up a first team position elsewhere.

I get what you are saying in theory but in practice, as highlighted by Tyson Responsibly, it doesn't work.
It's not going to end well with Billy though is it? He's not copping it in here at all yet, but it's going to get ugly if he's in our first 17 next season. Worse than what Niu and Turpin have copped.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
It's not going to end well with Billy though is it? He's not copping it in here at all yet, but it's going to get ugly if he's in our first 17 next season. Worse than what Niu and Turpin have copped.

It could also be quite simply because at present, I (and perhaps others) simply don't agree with you. At present, he is fine as a bench utility. That said, neither he or Turpin should have been ahead of Paix for any reason whatsoever this season. Walters is clearly better than Turpin though but even so, neither of them are good and Turpin sets such a low bar, it isn't hard. Turps' loopy and gentle long passes are just horrific to watch and he shows no instinct whatsoever.

I am still annoyed we let Levi go though and of course for my personal view, didn't chase Berrell as a legit cheap and great option. If we do not bring in any other hookers for next year though, this will be of massive concern. This is where I hope that IF Kevvie is playing favourites with his kid, Ikin or Donuts will step in. That said, if they do, you are on a slippery slope to becoming like the Dragons with MacGregor and that is not a good place to be.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
It could also be quite simply because at present, I (and perhaps others) simply don't agree with you. At present, he is fine as a bench utility. That said, neither he or Turpin should have been ahead of Paix for any reason whatsoever this season. Walters is clearly better than Turpin though but even so, neither of them are good and Turpin sets such a low bar, it isn't hard. Turps' loopy and gentle long passes are just horrific to watch and he shows no instinct whatsoever.
Each to their own. If someone who's thoroughly mediocre is good enough for a bench utility, and we should continue with him next year, then I guess we should be happy with a thoroughly mediocre end to next season as well. And be happy that at least we didn't spend a lot of money to get us to where we currently languish.

Thoroughly mediocre is better than bad. We can always blame the administration if we lose.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I don't expect a coach to win a premiership in their first year but 1 year is long enough to determine if a coach is competent enough to move the needle. It should be a privilege to coach the Broncos, a coach with enough confidence within himself knowing he'll make a positive difference will take up the job.

We've already churned through these coaches Henjack, Griffin, Seibold with multi-year contracts and yet here we are. It's just a waste of time, effort and money. Even good companies will put a staff through a 3 month probationary period before a permanent hire.

Move the needle ...

you mean something like doubling our win tally and giving us our first season since 2018 where we won more games than we lost?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Each to their own. If someone who's thoroughly mediocre is good enough for a bench utility, and we should continue with him next year, then I guess we should be happy with a thoroughly mediocre end to next season as well. And be happy that at least we didn't spend a lot of money to get us to where we currently languish.

Thoroughly mediocre is better than bad. We can always blame the administration if we lose.

What part of 'at present' = we should continue with him next year? That comment goes completely contrary to the point I made in the second paragraph that you for some reason chose to omit in your reply.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
What part of 'at present' = we should continue with him next year? That comment goes completely contrary to the point I made in the second paragraph that you for some reason chose to omit in your reply.
I've never been talking about this year. Ever. Everything I've said pertaining to Billy Walters is, and has always been, about not extending him for another season. All those angry replies about not having anyone else, didn't read what I wrote.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
I've never been talking about this year. Ever. Everything I've said pertaining to Billy Walters is, and has always been, about not extending him for another season. All those angry replies about not having anyone else, didn't read what I wrote.
I'll ask again, who do we replace him with? I am still yet to see an answer from you

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Which is why billy Walters is not “fine” as a squad member. He never should have been signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Strop
  • Stix
  • Howie
  • Wolfie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Broncorob
  • LittleDavey
  • Spooky1013
  • Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.