Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Which is why billy Walters is not “fine” as a squad member. He never should have been signed.
Who was available to cover the utility position? Should we have run with an unfit Paix and whatever the **** Turpin is instead? Who I should we have bought in on barely any money instead?

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Bring in a hooker instead of playing the coach’s Q Cup 5/8 son there?

Who are you thinking? I have seen the list of off contract hookers, it's not very promising. I would suggest Billy is the best of that lot

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Who was available to cover the utility position? Should we have run with an unfit Paix and whatever the **** Turpin is instead? Who I should we have bought in on barely any money instead?
Sproj’s post was about us getting rid of Levi. Keep him instead.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
I'm hoping we've moved past the argument about whether Billy is good enough at hooker to enhance our spine, rather than just another passenger to weigh Reynolds down. Everyone seems to agree we need a genuine premiership grade hooker.

I'm going one further and saying if we have a proper hooker, we can put a different kind of utility on the bench. One that offers more than Billy, and him being cheap isn't compelling argument. Kevvie isn't going to enjoy dropping his bargain basement son back to Cup, but that's the collision waiting to happen. Let's take that car off the road now.

As for not being able to find a sharper utility, well we already have Paix who can offer exactly the same as Billy in short bursts. Probably more. And he's already signed for another year. No need to renew Billy.

If we had a starting hooker who could play more minutes, and who didn't have to justify his selection through defence alone, we still might be able to bring in a bargain basement utility like say an Albert Kelly or James Segyaro type who could wreak havoc against tired forwards for 15 minutes.

We're currently caught in this bind where our dummy halves are required to do too much heavy lifting in defence. Maybe they only need to not be turnstiles if they're coming off the bench for a stint.

Yes, that's all well and good but it falls back to the thing I have been asking ever since you first got going about it.

Who do we replace him with?

You haven't given be a decent answer outside of trying to have halves playing at 9, that doesn't work, by the way. They've got to be able to tackle consistently for long periods.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Who are you thinking? I have seen the list of off contract hookers, it's not very promising. I would suggest Billy is the best of that lot
There’s a number of options but yeah those off contract aren’t great.

It’s hard for me to say because I’m not in a position to negotiate with clubs about hookers they may be willing to let go but you got Q Cup, NSW Cup, the NRL and super league to work with and Payne Haas who is begging to be used as a bargaining chip - as well as other players we could move on in potential trades, Staggs, Niu, Mariner, Piakura, even Kobe or Flegler depending on how good the hooker is.

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
There’s a number of options but yeah those off contract aren’t great.

It’s hard for me to say because I’m not in a position to negotiate with clubs about hookers they may be willing to let go but you got Q Cup, NSW Cup, the NRL and super league to work with and Payne Haas who is begging to be used as a bargaining chip - as well as other players we could move on in potential trades, Staggs, Niu, Mariner, Piakura, even Kobe or Flegler depending on how good the hooker is.
Game breaking hookers as it stands are very scarce but agree on the trading chips with Hass, Staggs & Niu if there really is someone available. I would stop with those 3 and not mention any of the 4 remaining players.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
A game breaking hookers as it stands are very scarce but agree on the trading chips with Hass, Staggs & Niu if there really is someone available. I would stop with those 3 and not mention any of the 4 remaining players.
I’m not asking for a game breaking hooker - just a hooker.

This is why that other posters “people expect superstars in all positions” argument falls down. I don’t want a superstar, I just want first grade quality in our 17

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
I’m not asking for a game breaking hooker - just a hooker.

This is why that other posters “people expect superstars in all positions” argument falls down. I don’t want a superstar, I just want first grade quality in our 17
Yup, totally agree. Need a capable 9 for the next 2-3 years until Mozer comes along as the chosen one to take us to the promised land.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Yes, that's all well and good but it falls back to the thing I have been asking ever since you first got going about it.

Who do we replace him with?

You haven't given be a decent answer outside of trying to have halves playing at 9, that doesn't work, by the way. They've got to be able to tackle consistently for long periods.
He has no answer, he disassociates from answering that.
I don't have a fucking answer. I have a complaint. But I know Billy fucking Walters is not the answer to any question we might have beyond the next match.

For the millionth time it's not my job to talent scout the NRL looking for players. We can surely do better than the coach's son, who no other club wants, though.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
Id like to know how soon we are done paying for lodge and tpj to play elsewhere

Culhwch

Culhwch

NRL Captain
Mar 28, 2008
No but the 9,7,6,1 should all be NRL standard

I don't disagree. I was more responding to the assertion that Walters is not a 'fine' squad player. Walters is a solid depth option who, admittedly, probably got too much playing time this year.

Ideally, we'd have a better option at nine. We don't currently. Fortunately the Walters/Paix combo worked quite well for us during our winning streak, but that hasn't carried through due to injury and form (perceived or otherwise) and resultant team selections. Even then, when we were winning, it shouldn't have been the long-term plan, but it was effective enough, and I think Paix still has a shout to be in that rotation.

Everyone has said it, but options to replace the current players at that position are limited. But we do have a nice little bargaining chip in Haas that we can hopefully turn into a solution at hooker. And if so, I think Walters still has a place in the team as depth and injury cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• lynx000
  • Allo
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Stix
  • Harry Sack
  • broncs30
  • Morkel
  • Seibs
  • Howie
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.