Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
anyone in the know rate willison better than the va'a brother's?
De La Salle is only 15 so difficult to say at this stage, but Willison had the bigger reputation than Va'a. Personally watching them go head to head, I was really impressed with both. PBC were a better side, but it didn't stop Va'a from taking Willison on. I remember a tackle he made on Willison while defending the try line that was an absolute beauty. Fast forward a few days later and neither Ofahengaue nor Kennedy could muster up the same resolve against the Dragons.

So I'd say Xavier Willison has the bigger rap, but I was impressed with Va'a. With that said, Va'a had a disrupted 2021 while Willison made some really big steps in his career. He did not look out of place at all in the NRL despite being his youth.

Brisbane have another young prop coming through in Benjamin Te Kura. Rumour had it that Te Kura was going to be involved with the pre-season but I haven't heard whether that's materialised.

As disappointing as it was to lose Bullemor, you could understand why the Broncos weren't desperate to stay in his way.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
Also, having Willison, Carrigan and Flegs signed up means we don't need to overspend on Haas. I know in some circles it is an unpopular opinion but I do not want a million+ dollar a year forward, it is way too much cash locked up in that position. I am NOT saying Haas isn't genuinely elite, he 100% is the best prop in the game with still more upside but the reality is, what was the last team to win a comp with a million dollar a year forward? The Roosters don't count because they have the salary cap auditor in their pocket.
Yeah totally agree, if Haas could play a role and influence a game like Tommy Turbo or steer the ship like Reynolds or Clearly yeah throw the cheque book at him. Hes easily the best prop in the game but in the end he's only a prop, by paying a prop 1 million a year you run the risk of losing talent on the rise in key positions because you can't afford them.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
De La Salle is only 15 so difficult to say at this stage, but Willison had the bigger reputation than Va'a. Personally watching them go head to head, I was really impressed with both. PBC were a better side, but it didn't stop Va'a from taking Willison on. I remember a tackle he made on Willison while defending the try line that was an absolute beauty. Fast forward a few days later and neither Ofahengaue nor Kennedy could muster up the same resolve against the Dragons.

So I'd say Xavier Willison has the bigger rap, but I was impressed with Va'a. With that said, Va'a had a disrupted 2021 while Willison made some really big steps in his career. He did not look out of place at all in the NRL despite being his youth.

Brisbane have another young prop coming through in Benjamin Te Kura. Rumour had it that Te Kura was going to be involved with the pre-season but I haven't heard whether that's materialised.

As disappointing as it was to lose Bullemor, you could understand why the Broncos weren't desperate to stay in his way.
cheers big Pete, yeah heard that about Te kura aswell and he also has big raps so I've heard.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

I am still waiting for Va’a times two to announce they are just going to box. The way they talk they have a much bigger passion for boxing.

Va’a reminds me of TPJ the big play is there or even a big game but not sure consistency will be his thing.

Willison has stepped up to every level he’s been asked to in the last 12 months. The Wynnum trial he was outstanding.

Te-Kura I see a lot of similarities with Willison.
Ben Te-Kura got Norths' MM player of the year.

He's so tall and such a specimen I think Broncos SC and would love to get hold of him this off-season.

Started the year with injuries so did well to recover and be a bright light in the Alf Trophy.

Bit like Willison last year, he makes his tackles somehow despite his frame not really being suited to defence.

A

Astro

QCup Player
Jun 27, 2014

I think i saw some early pre season photos with te kura in them and 1910 might have mentioned something about him.

Haha, see above.

lynx000

lynx000

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
@1910 any reports on how the camp went?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Also, having Willison, Carrigan and Flegs signed up means we don't need to overspend on Haas. I know in some circles it is an unpopular opinion but I do not want a million+ dollar a year forward, it is way too much cash locked up in that position. I am NOT saying Haas isn't genuinely elite, he 100% is the best prop in the game with still more upside but the reality is, what was the last team to win a comp with a million dollar a year forward? The Roosters don't count because they have the salary cap auditor in their pocket.
The Cowboys... Unfortunately, and I think Haas is better than JT.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
It’s been said but I think the club has made nothing but good roster decisions since DD/Ikin started and the Willison and Arthurs/Hoeter top 30 finesse is another shining example.

The closest thing to a misstep has been Bullemor and now the dust has settled I think it was probably the right move. The player wanted out and it allowed us to extend Willison. So it was likely a net positive and was another good example of the club navigating the unpredictability of NRL transfers to their benefit.

As mentioned the opportunistic nature of the Arthurs loan to Warriors which opened up a top 30 spot for Hoeter was pretty brilliant. Hoeter gets a chance at earning an extension and by the time Arthurs returns he will have far more NRL experience and at least one of Isaako, Oates, or Fanworth will be gone.

The next big challenge for the club is retaining Cobbo, followed by deciding what Farnworth is worth. Also navigating retaining Mozer as he comes through, and what to offer Haas. Though I’ve not been this confident about retaining players in years. I’d already be assuming Cobbo was as good as gone if things were still in the same state as they were last year.

Outside of the last paragraph, the club has done a really good job of tying down the future of the club, to the extent that we don’t really need to stress about the roster.

Kev has a solid team with plenty of exciting young talent to slowly transition into first grade, all he has to do is pick the right starting squad.

Over the next few years we can look forward to the careers of:

Cobbo
Willison
Piakura
Mam
Mozer
Mariner
Robati
Te Kura
Riki

While out right guns in Haas, Staggs, and to a lesser extent Carrigan are transitioning toward that matured first grader status.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
It’s been said but I think the club has made nothing but good roster decisions since DD/Ikin started and the Willison and Arthurs/Hoeter top 30 finesse is another shining example.

The closest thing to a misstep has been Bullemor and now the dust has settled I think it was probably the right move. The player wanted out and it allowed us to extend Willison. So it was likely a net positive and was another good example of the club navigating the unpredictability of NRL transfers to their benefit.

As mentioned the opportunistic nature of the Arthurs loan to Warriors which opened up a top 30 spot for Hoeter was pretty brilliant. Hoeter gets a chance at earning an extension and by the time Arthurs returns he will have far more NRL experience and at least one of Isaako, Oates, or Fanworth will be gone.

The next big challenge for the club is retaining Cobbo, followed by deciding what Farnworth is worth. Also navigating retaining Mozer as he comes through, and what to offer Haas. Though I’ve not been this confident about retaining players in years. I’d already be assuming Cobbo was as good as gone if things were still in the same state as they were last year.

Outside of the last paragraph, the club has done a really good job of tying down the future of the club, to the extent that we don’t really need to stress about the roster.

Kev has a solid team with plenty of exciting young talent to slowly transition into first grade, all he has to do is pick the right starting squad.

Over the next few years we can look forward to the careers of:

Cobbo
Willison
Piakura
Mam
Mozer
Mariner
Robati
Te Kura
Riki

While out right guns in Haas, Staggs, and to a lesser extent Carrigan are transitioning toward that matured first grader status.
Well said
One thing I hope the clubs doing is looking ahead for a 7 to transition into the role once Adam retires in 3 or so years.. Cobbo, Mam and possibly Mozer could be the 1,6 and 9 by then.
Could be Gamble who could step up into that role or be worth getting a young bloke in now to develop in Qcup so there first grade ready in a few years time.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

Smith/Storm 2020

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
Typical theshed- @Kimlo had a crack at it too.

Which part do you disagree with- Smith wasn’t a forward or wasn’t on a million?
Only meant as a light hearted comment. I just think it was obvious that he wasn’t intending to mean hookers - although they are forwards, they are most commonly bundled under the spine group these days, which I doubt many people would argue that spine players can’t be worth a million.

I don’t dislike or have an issue with anyone here - if I comment on your or other’s posting style it comes from a place of banter not trying to be a dickhead.

You just often come across as the “….actually” guy. It’s great, in an eye roll kind of way.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
The thing is, Melbourne/Roosters have basically won every competition, so it's not really a fair question to simply use premierships as a binary measure of success/failure. There's external reasons far beyond a simple $ per position.

Sam Burgess won a premiership in 2014, at a reported 1.5Million salary

JFH is reportedly on 850k and he just won a premiership. SBW won in 2013 at the Roosters on 575k in a 5.85m salary cap competition, so effectively a 1M forward.

I'm not going to go through a fine tooth comb of every premiership winning team and their roster, but that's some that easily fall into the huge money forward in a team that won a premiership. If they're worth it, they're worth it.

There's an exception to every rule, and that's generally when you have exceptional players. They don't need to be spine players or nothing. Haas is worth 900+ easily if we can get him for another 3 years in his prime.

NSW stables

NSW stables

NRL Player
May 3, 2019
Well said
One thing I hope the clubs doing is looking ahead for a 7 to transition into the role once Adam retires in 3 or so years.. Cobbo, Mam and possibly Mozer could be the 1,6 and 9 by then.
Could be Gamble who could step up into that role or be worth getting a young bloke in now to develop in Qcup so there first grade ready in a few years time.
What I like about our depth this year is that they are not just 18-19 year olds who haven't played against men yet. Its good to have some seasoned footballers (even if it has mainly been in ISC).

In terms of transition following reynolds, I think gambles game management is very underrated and it will only get better by being mentored by reynolds. I think he could step into that role when reynolds retires but we should also be looking at developing a younger game manager.

theshed

theshed

Just a Game
Aug 28, 2010
The thing is, Melbourne/Roosters have basically won every competition, so it's not really a fair question to simply use premierships as a binary measure of success/failure. There's external reasons far beyond a simple $ per position.

Sam Burgess won a premiership in 2014, at a reported 1.5Million salary

JFH is reportedly on 850k and he just won a premiership. SBW won in 2013 at the Roosters on 575k in a 5.85m salary cap competition, so effectively a 1M forward.

I'm not going to go through a fine tooth comb of every premiership winning team and their roster, but that's some that easily fall into the huge money forward in a team that won a premiership. If they're worth it, they're worth it.

There's an exception to every rule, and that's generally when you have exceptional players. They don't need to be spine players or nothing. Haas is worth 900+ easily if we can get him for another 3 years in his prime.
Great point re Burgess. I had forgotten about him in the discussion of big salary props. He was vital to that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• johnny plath
  • Ondi
  • Maroon4life
  • Bucking Beads
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • Cavalo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.