Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think there is a great deal wrong with a bloke playing centre (or fullback), that has played less than 50 games, having a run first mentality. Rarely does a player come into first grade with all the skills.

I also agree I’d like to see him look to setup his outside man more, but I do genuinely believe he’s had very little support in his NRL career from his winger(s).

Indeed, he can only work with what he’s got either side of him, and I think it’s fair to say the entire left side attack has been a shambles for a long time.

Shifting him to the wing will give him even less opportunity, especially in our team that has no idea how to use our wingers (hoping Reynolds can fix this though).

For mine, I’d like to see Staggs in the centres and Farnworth / Cobbo at fullback / the other centre.
You look at players like Slater, Tedesco even minichello they didn't have that ball playing ability or showed it they were more of the run first mentality to start off.

That left side was a shambles between Glenn not having a single threat in attack to a different half every week, the attack often went sideways rather than straight leaving no room for Herbie and winger on the outside, Nui would often drift across field and cut out the room for the outside men aswell.

And I'm with you on the centre fullback options that's what I'd like to see

Do you know which games? I had a bit of a look at the team lists and couldn't see him in the #1 jersey.
From memory he was named in the 5 and was shifted to fullback a number of times but I couldn’t tell you off the top of my head what games that was.

One of the resident rugby league savants like @Big Pete or @1910 might be able to tell you without looking into it.

He played Q Cup in 2019. Some of which was at fullback
I’m not entirely sure I understand what you’re trying to get at here?

But if I were to take a guess; you’re trying to say that a handful of games at fullback in QCup as an 18 or 19 year old and less than 50 games in a shitshow of a backline is enough to say he has no ball playing ability?

I’m not trying to pick a fight with you, but I’d suggest you go back and look at Slater (or the others mentioned by @Johnny92 and indeed pretty much every young fullback) when he started out in first grade. A ball player he was not.

Lockyer and KHunt are the only fullbacks that I can remember coming into first grade and looking almost complete as a player from the get-go.

Like I’ve said a number of times, I don’t expect any player to come in and do everything perfectly, it’s just so unreasonable and terribly unrealistic.

And sure, Herbie can definitely improve some areas of his game and I would hope and expect he does, but I don’t think he’s worth singling out nor suggesting he doesn’t have it in him.

I’m not entirely sure I understand what you’re trying to get at here?

But if I were to take a guess; you’re trying to say that a handful of games at fullback in QCup as an 18 or 19 year old and less than 50 games in a shitshow of a backline is enough to say he has no ball playing ability?

I’m not trying to pick a fight with you, but I’d suggest you go back and look at Slater (or the others mentioned by @Johnny92 and indeed pretty much every young fullback) when he started out in first grade. A ball player he was not.

Lockyer and KHunt are the only fullbacks that I can remember coming into first grade and looking almost complete as a player from the get-go.

Like I’ve said a number of times, I don’t expect any player to come in and do everything perfectly, it’s just so unreasonable and terribly unrealistic.

And sure, Herbie can definitely improve some areas of his game and I would hope and expect he does, but I don’t think he’s worth singling out nor suggesting he doesn’t have it in him.
Im not singling him out, I just think he’s shown less ball playing ability than Cobbo, Isaako, and Niu who have all been in the same systems. Also you’re defending of Herbie being capable of ball playing is saying that other good players couldn’t ball play early in their careers either - which if I’m interpreting you correctly, means you agree with me, he doesn’t have ball playing skills at the moment.

Edwards fits the Penrith system well, bit like a Storm player. Take them out of the system and....

No interest whatsoever if adding Edwards means we lose or provide less development or game time to any of our young center 3/4s currently here.

If we lose a vet like Oates then a different matter....

You mean lose the guy that’s next up for veteran salary cap relief and will almost nullify his wage back to minimum on the books? Yeh no

You mean lose the guy that’s next up for veteran salary cap relief and will almost nullify his wage back to minimum on the books? Yeh no
Not weighing in but just pointing out even if Oates leaves, Reynolds is eligible

Im not singling him out, I just think he’s shown less ball playing ability than Cobbo, Isaako, and Niu who have all been in the same systems. Also you’re defending of Herbie being capable of ball playing is saying that other good players couldn’t ball play early in their careers either - which if I’m interpreting you correctly, means you agree with me, he doesn’t have ball playing skills at the moment.
Ok, fair enough if you’re not singling him out, my bad.

I think I’ve said quite a few times he has areas of his game to work on (like every young player), and I have never argued against those saying he doesn’t pass. I’ve always maintained I see him more as a victim of being in a shit backline and having no one to pass to.

I honestly don’t know if he has ball playing skills or not, as I just don’t think he’s ever been given an opportunity to show it.

But what I do know is that even if he doesn’t right now, that wouldn’t worry me because I don’t expect him or anyone else to be the complete package when they’re still so green in their career. Even more so when they entered the NRL during the Seibold horror show.

I say chuck him on the wing if that’s his trade.

I reckon Herbie's a good player and with the right development under the right people he could develop the passing game he needs to be a fullback but I am also not stupid and know that 95% of Broncos fans want to see Cobbo given that opportunity first, I reckon that fact alone probably has created some differing opinions on whether or not Herbie should be our fullback.

They rarely come into the NRL with a high quality passing game, especially as a fullback. Even Billy Slater who will go down as one of the all-time greats didn't have the passing game when he first got going. What he did have though was an exceptional running game, he was always supporting his team mates in the middle of the field and over time he did develop the passing game.

I think for anyone to come into the NRL showing off their passing/kicking game they either need a license or they are going to have to be very confident in their own ability, I remember Tesi putting in a little grubber in his opportunistic game against the Raiders and that basically set him up to get a prolonged spot in the team, it was gutsy play, if he messes that up he looks like a fool. I would suggest that's the sort of play newer players probably don't want to try with how teams are coached these days for high percentage plays and such unless as I said, they are very confident in their own ability.

We have other players in key positions who cant pass. Our main hooker is one of them. Staggs isnt that well known for it either. Bit unfair to single out Herbie in a side thats been pretty weak.
It's not unfair to single out anyone for criticism. They're all under the microscope. You bash Jake every day. Poor Jake.

Unless Herbie's your boyfriend. Is he your boyfriend? Patty's not going to like that.

If we're ruling Herbie out of fullback because he doesn't pass, then Niu is no chance either.
I think Tesi has an alright passing game for a rookie fullback. He always nails those tap-ons to his outside man and from memory he threw a nice cut-out for one of the wingers. It doesnt sound like a lot but it's more than the other first season fullbacks that were running around this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mustafur
  • Fozz
  • pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.