Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not unfair to single out anyone for criticism. They're all under the microscope. You bash Jake every day. Poor Jake.

Unless Herbie's your boyfriend. Is he your boyfriend? Patty's not going to like that.

I think Jake would beg to differ. He thinks i'm great.

I’m really not a big fan of Niu at this point either. Maybe he has it, maybe he doesn’t, but I’m over rookie experiments at fullback (or spine) for the time being. I hope I’m proved wrong.

Off the top of my head, we had a few turning points this year where things that weren't clicking started to look like they were starting to look like they might be starting to click:

1. Tyson Gamble's enthusiasm
2. Lodge & TPJ departing
3. Flegler returning from Origin
4. Kotoni returning from injury/naughty chair
5. Albert not being the fat has-been everyone thought
6. Tesi replacing Jamayne

I'd written Tesi off after seeing him in the trials where he was thoroughly overshadowed by Reece, and I got the impression he was lazy from the little I saw of him in the ISC.

A highlight reel of the Broncos' best moments prior to him taking over at fullback would've almost all featured Jamayne front and centre. As would a reel of the cockups.

But Tesi's taking over at the back directly coincided with the feeling that Kevvie had put together a new team, one that believed in itself. Tesi enjoyed much of the credit for that.

I think to that end, he also has been somewhat overrated, and like me with Herbie, you're feeling like he hasn't earned the adulation.

As Herbie at centre lacks teamwork (passing game), Tesi lacks the prerequisite of fullback 101: freakish skills under the high ball. He doesn't look comfortable at all under bombs.

I think he pipped Herbie in attack though. He crossed the line more often, and he did look to pair up with other backs. And he also pipped Jamayne in defence and not making dumb errors.

With Jamayne officially on the outer, it's a bit of a toss up who gets wing, centre and fullback out of Herbie, Selwyn and Tesi. Given we ended the season on a high, you would expect Tesi and Herbie to retain their spots, with Selwyn, the most junior, shoved out on the wing. But it could go any which way.

I think they all deserve to start, but I can't decide where. At a pinch, I'd put Herbie on the wing and keep Selwyn and Tesi where they are.

Off the top of my head, we had a few turning points this year where things that weren't clicking started to look like they were starting to look like they might be starting to click:

2. Lodge & TPJ departing

I'd written Tesi off after seeing him in the trials where he was thoroughly overshadowed by Reece, and I got the impression he was lazy from the little I saw of him in the ISC.

A highlight reel of the Broncos' best moments prior to him taking over at fullback would've almost all featured Jamayne front and centre. As would a reel of the cockups.

But Tesi's taking over at the back directly coincided with the feeling that Kevvie had put together a new team, one that believed in itself. Tesi enjoyed much of the credit for that.

I think to that end, he also has been somewhat overrated, and like me with Herbie, you're feeling like he hasn't earned the adulation.

As Herbie at centre lacks teamwork (passing game), Tesi lacks the prerequisite of fullback 101: freakish skills under the high ball. He doesn't look comfortable at all under bombs.

I think he pipped Herbie in attack though. He crossed the line more often, and he did look to pair up with other backs. And he also pipped Jamayne in defence and not making dumb errors.

With Jamayne officially on the outer, it's a bit of a toss up who gets wing, centre and fullback out of Herbie, Selwyn and Tesi. Given we ended the season on a high, you would expect Tesi and Herbie to retain their spots, with Selwyn, the most junior, shoved out on the wing. But it could go any which way.

I think they all deserve to start, but I can't decide where. At a pinch, I'd put Herbie on the wing and keep Selwyn and Tesi where they are.
He did make the same dumb error twice though where he tried to kick the ball dead in the in goal and missed and someone scored.

in saying that, I think he showed some potential and he, alongside Cobbo deserve a shot in the trials. But unless Niu shits the bed, he should probably get first shot at fullback in 2022. Cobbo as a centre / wing and if Niu isn’t playing well after a few games give Cobbo a crack

You can also throw Brenko Lee's hat in the ring at centre as he is more experienced than Herbie and Selwyn ,although I'm not sure how is going injury wise.
Definitely going to make for an interesting pre - season, one that I am really looking forward to.

Tesi is a freak attacking fullback, he’s a truly awful defensive fullback. If he can work on his defensive effort, he could really become something.

The thing I don't like about Tesi ,(besides his average defensive capabilities) is that when he chimes into the back line he tends to run the centre and winger out of room.
I'm not sold on him but I'm willing to give him a bit longer to prove himself.

Nah, Tommy Turbo, Paps or Teddy are freak attacking players. Niu just shows potential at this stage.

Of course Tesi is nowhere near that level but with the ball in hand, he's very underrated on here.

Of course Tesi is nowhere that level but with the ball in hand, he's very underrated on here.
I disagree. He has a pretty low top speed, his passing game doesn’t look confident at all, he runs his outside men out of position and rarely chooses the right pass. I don’t think I’ve seen him throw a cut out ever.

He’s very similar to Isaako but with lower highs and higher lows imo.

I think he gets to retain his spot to start the season and maybe with a pre-season and some experience he might really grow into the roll - he’s still very young after all and was meant to be a centre (which he is terrible at) but all he’s really achieved is not being Isaako.

His defensive issues and shakiness under the high ball are obvious concerns too.

Even more concerning is that he looked terrible in Q Cup.

Never got the hype with Tesi. Never stood out at all for me. Sloppy in defence, good at times in attack but i just cant see why people hype him up as some top line, potentially elite youngster.

I disagree. He has a pretty low top speed, his passing game doesn’t look confident at all, he runs his outside men out of position and rarely chooses the right pass. I don’t think I’ve seen him throw a cut out ever.

He’s very similar to Isaako but with lower highs and higher lows imo.

I think he gets to retain his spot to start the season and maybe with a pre-season and some experience he might really grow into the roll - he’s still very young after all and was meant to be a centre (which he is terrible at) but all he’s really achieved is not being Isaako.

His defensive issues and shakiness under the high ball are obvious concerns too.

Even more concerning is that he looked terrible in Q Cup.

I personally would go Cobbo at fullback, so I'm not saying he is elite as he isn't but what I'm saying is that he has shown a bit thus far, go watch some late season highlights and his skills are on show. He is also still very young so will improve. Attack isn't his issue, defense is and massively so.

I personally would go Cobbo at fullback, so I'm not saying he is elite as he isn't but what I'm saying is that he has shown a bit thus far, go watch some late season highlights and his skills are on show. He is also still very young so will improve. Attack isn't his issue, defense is and massively so.
He’s pretty limited in both from what I’ve seen but with Reynolds creating space and having Staggs putting doubt in defenders minds, being a broncos fullback in attack just got a whole lot easier.

I think he does a job though and will only improve. As you said, it’s all just keeping Cobbo’s shirt warm anyway.

Let’s be really straight here. Farnworth at fullback is a big no no. Especially considering he could be out of here next year and doesn’t really fix any of the issues we have with tesi. Farnworth isn’t a fullback. As for Tesi I personally think the growth he made in a lot of areas in that last 10 or so rounds at fullback was more than any of us could have asked for. He even improved defensively and started supporting through the middle as well. He even came up with some match winning performances and moments. I personally don’t see Tesi as our long term fullback, I see Cobbo as that, however whilst we have this buzz around the club I think we would profit better off Cobbo developing in a less crucial position and filling the fullback spot with Tesi who really gave this side a punch of energy from the back. My one condition to Tesi playing fullback is that he presents himself in a fit and far less bulky and fat like physique than what he presented early last season and what he has to start this pre-season, cut the weight or we should be cutting him. As for Cobbo, I love him, you love him, we all love him. We need to start negeotating now before Redcliffe gets to much in his ear and he starts shooting his value up. Great player for his age, seems respectable and a humble young man that has the ethic and talent to be very successful. Could do a bit of developing and growing some confidence in the nrl hopefully in the centres where he finished the season really well but I wouldn’t mind him being on that very dangerous right edge in the wing position and practicing his damaging football from the high balls.

Let’s be really straight here. Farnworth at fullback is a big no no. Especially considering he could be out of here next year and doesn’t really fix any of the issues we have with tesi. Farnworth isn’t a fullback. As for Tesi I personally think the growth he made in a lot of areas in that last 10 or so rounds at fullback was more than any of us could have asked for. He even improved defensively and started supporting through the middle as well. He even came up with some match winning performances and moments. I personally don’t see Tesi as our long term fullback, I see Cobbo as that, however whilst we have this buzz around the club I think we would profit better off Cobbo developing in a less crucial position and filling the fullback spot with Tesi who really gave this side a punch of energy from the back. My one condition to Tesi playing fullback is that he presents himself in a fit and far less bulky and fat like physique than what he presented early last season and what he has to start this pre-season, cut the weight or we should be cutting him. As for Cobbo, I love him, you love him, we all love him. We need to start negeotating now before Redcliffe gets to much in his ear and he starts shooting his value up. Great player for his age, seems respectable and a humble young man that has the ethic and talent to be very successful. Could do a bit of developing and growing some confidence in the nrl hopefully in the centres where he finished the season really well but I wouldn’t mind him being on that very dangerous right edge in the wing position and practicing his damaging football from the high balls.
I agree. Even if Farnworth could develop into a better fullback than Tesi, he would just be another stop gap so it isn’t worth shaking up a team that finished the season well. Also isn’t really fair on Farnworth to keep moving him around.

Never got the hype with Tesi. Never stood out at all for me. Sloppy in defence, good at times in attack but i just cant see why people hype him up as some top line, potentially elite youngster.

There wouldn't be many that come into the NRL in their first real season and show all sorts of defensive resolve, unless they spent half a dozen years in the QLD/NSW Cup but that's not the case with Tesi. He's only 20 years old, I think fans are a bit too critical of him given that it feels like he's been around a while and that's because he made his debut under Seibold when he would've been about 18.

Not much you can say about Isaako though, he's 25, he's had the half a dozen years I was talking about to become a hardened NRL player and he's still not there.

2. Lodge & TPJ departing

If Tesi, Herbie, and Selwyn are all going to be in the starting 13 it has to be
1. Tesi
4. Cobbo
5. Farnworth
As tesi hasn't been great when playing in the front line, Cobbo wouldn't have much of the same effect on the wing and Herbie can play his natural game from the wing.
If Cobbo or Herbie plays 1 that opens the door for bringing in either a centre or winger as players like Lee, Hoeter, Mead, Pieria and even Isaako would be better in that centre/wing position then Nui at this stage.

There wouldn't be many that come into the NRL in their first real season and show all sorts of defensive resolve, unless they spent half a dozen years in the QLD/NSW Cup but that's not the case with Tesi. He's only 20 years old, I think fans are a bit too critical of him given that it feels like he's been around a while and that's because he made his debut under Seibold when he would've been about 18.

Not much you can say about Isaako though, he's 25, he's had the half a dozen years I was talking about to become a hardened NRL player and he's still not there.

Its basics he stuffs up on. ITs not about his defensive resolve either, its simple things like not being aware of attacking players around him, letting the ball bounce etc. I'm the last one to be too critical of young blokes making mistakes while learning their trade, it comes with the territory. I just dont see anything anywhere in his game that makes me think he improve our 17 in any way right now. I dont think anyone expects the finished article, but i have barely even seen him be a standout at any level he has played at. I'm still of the opinion we need to pick his position going forward, and make him prove his worth in ISC. If he can get a chance in first grade and play well enough to hold his spot, then great, but until then i think he needs to develop in ISC.

Tesi gives me massive Milford vibes. Fast-ish without having elite speed, somewhat elusive and hard to tackle due to his low centre of gravity. Like Milford though, if he loses any of his speed/evasiveness, he's going to become irrelevant.

Its basics he stuffs up on. ITs not about his defensive resolve either, its simple things like not being aware of attacking players around him, letting the ball bounce etc. I'm the last one to be too critical of young blokes making mistakes while learning their trade, it comes with the territory. I just dont see anything anywhere in his game that makes me think he improve our 17 in any way right now. I dont think anyone expects the finished article, but i have barely even seen him be a standout at any level he has played at. I'm still of the opinion we need to pick his position going forward, and make him prove his worth in ISC. If he can get a chance in first grade and play well enough to hold his spot, then great, but until then i think he needs to develop in ISC.
Yeah he actually played worse after being dropped to Q Cup to earn his position. It was only Isaako making himself unpickable and a last minute injury causing Farnworth to miss his shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Sproj
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncos4life
  • Rough and Ready
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • bazza
  • Scorchie
  • Foordy
  • winslow_wong
  • Mustafur
  • Xzei
  • Santa
  • Galah
  • MrTickyMcG
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Painin the Haas
  • Tim K
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.