Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't claim this but whoever made the brent tate comparison with herbie I think is onto something.

He too was a strapping runner of the ball that wouldn't pass to save his life and was solid defensively.

If herbie ends up anything close to taters that'd be fantastic.
Brent tate was amazing rucking out of dummy half. Also had the speed to finish a lot of tries off without having to pass. Not sure Herbie is that standard.

Brent tate was amazing rucking out of dummy half. Also had the speed to finish a lot of tries off without having to pass. Not sure Herbie is that standard.
Farnworth is strong from dummy half runs tbf. I actually think it’s a pretty decent comparison.

herbie has a long way to go to match him for sure, loved taters.

I can't claim this but whoever made the brent tate comparison with herbie I think is onto something.

He too was a strapping runner of the ball that wouldn't pass to save his life and was solid defensively.

If herbie ends up anything close to taters that'd be fantastic.

I have been making the comparisons in style since 2019. Tate’s strength was dummy half and running and I think Herbie can do that too.

Herbie started in the centres in ISC and got some games there this year- but didn't last too long but I think he's a very well rounded footballer as far as his skills, he reminds me a bit of Tate the way he is smart about his running and positioning. I think he could be an effective centre.

Wing has been good for him because he's sat back and picked his times to get involved and he's become very good at the appropriate skill- staying out when he has to and positioning himself correctly.

Herbie is in front of Coates and Perese as far as being able to play centre in attack and defence effectively and consistently but he's not as dynamic as Perese running.

I have been making the comparisons in style since 2019. Tate’s strength was dummy half and running and I think Herbie can do that too.
nice one, i knew someone else had mentioned it - you can see the resemblance.

Alright, so we have:

1. Cobbo (next Inglis)
2. Farnworth (next Tate)
3. Staggs (next Staggs)
4. Mariner (next Hodges)
5. Oates (next Miles)
6. Mam (next Raiders Milford version)
7. Reynolds (next Langer)
8. Haas (next Lazarus)
9. Mozer (next Smith)
10. Flegler (next Webcke)
11. Riki (next Thorn)
12. Piakura (next Tallis)
13. Hetherington (next Johnson)

14. Gamble (next best bet)
15. Carrigan (next Parker)
16. Willison (next Haas)
17. Robati (next Thaiday)

18. Capewell (next Gillett)
19. Walters (next Walters)
20. Niu (next Lockyer)
21. Turpin (next McCullough)

What a time to be alive!!
14. Gamble (next Terry Hill)

A lot of talk about Herbie in the centres, I reckon Kevvie will be keen to get Cobbo in the centres on one side with Kotoni on the other side

A lot of talk about Herbie in the centres, I reckon Kevvie will be keen to get Cobbo in the centres on one side with Kotoni on the other side
Whether Herbie plays wing or centre his game won't change, whereas Cobbo is in the same mould as Staggs he's the Ferrari that you give early ball and let them do their thing and that would be wasted on the wing somewhat. Herbie and Oates are your meter makers they done it so well in 21. If Nui starts fullback I'd like to see him and Cobbo swap during the game to mix things up and give Cobbo some time back there to see how much he kills it.

herbie has a long way to go to match him for sure, loved taters.
I think Tate is the perfect model for speedy backs making metres out of dummy half. Maybe Herbie has the attributes to replicate

Farnworth is strong from dummy half runs tbf. I actually think it’s a pretty decent comparison.
I do too. Tate was elite at it Herbie not that level yet but let's wait and see

Herbie appears to prefer to take his hit up runs one pass off the ruck (like oates) rather than from dummy half.

I think Tate is the perfect model for speedy backs making metres out of dummy half. Maybe Herbie has the attributes to replicate
Whether Herbie plays wing or centre his game won't change, whereas Cobbo is in the same mould as Staggs he's the Ferrari that you give early ball and let them do their thing and that would be wasted on the wing somewhat. Herbie and Oates are your meter makers they done it so well in 21. If Nui starts fullback I'd like to see him and Cobbo swap during the game to mix things up and give Cobbo some time back there to see how much he kills it.
Herbie appears to prefer to take his hit up runs one pass off the ruck (like oates) rather than from dummy half.
I do see the similarity between Tate and Herbie in their both taking bullocking hitups up the centre like a forward, but that wasn't the part of Tate's game that impressed me. For me it was when he got into open space playing like a centre or winger, palming off anyone who got between him and the tryline. He was a literal try-scoring machine. I waited all season to see that from Herbie but it rarely eventuated. Tate threatened to do that every time he got the ball.

I don't really understand why Herbie rarely found himself in open space palming off defenders, but after 20 games I can't blame everyone else.

With Tate it was more a matter of quality vs. quantity. For a world-class outside back he didn't cross the line as often as you'd think but when he did you'd remember it.

A good example would be the 2006 season where he only scored two tries during the regular season. However during the finals and in the representative arena, he scored six and some of those tries were highly memorable.

As an aside, I'll always say the best try Tate scored was the 2006 Grand Final, but the most impressive one was the opening game of the 2005 Tri-Series against New Zealand. 18-0 down and Tate conjures up a piece of brilliance inside his own 10m line.

With Tate it was more a matter of quality vs. quantity. For a world-class outside back he didn't cross the line as often as you'd think but when he did you'd remember it.

A good example would be the 2006 season where he only scored two tries during the regular season. However during the finals and in the representative arena, he scored six and some of those tries were highly memorable.

As an aside, I'll always say the best try Tate scored was the 2006 Grand Final, but the most impressive one was the opening game of the 2005 Tri-Series against New Zealand. 18-0 down and Tate conjures up a piece of brilliance inside his own 10m line.
Loved Tate as a player (not so much when he went to the Cowboys and even less after he seemingly forgot he ever played for us - but that’s a story for another day…), but I also remember he had some howlers in him.

One in particular; when he put his foot into touch at dummy half. A play like that would fit in well with the Broncos of the last few seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• leon.bott
  • RolledOates
  • Browny
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Johnny92
  • HarryAllan7
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • davidp
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • BroncosAlways
  • Financeguy
  • BruiserMk1
  • Culhwch
  • Fozz
  • FACTHUNT
  • Santa
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.