Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
With Tate it was more a matter of quality vs. quantity. For a world-class outside back he didn't cross the line as often as you'd think but when he did you'd remember it.

A good example would be the 2006 season where he only scored two tries during the regular season. However during the finals and in the representative arena, he scored six and some of those tries were highly memorable.

As an aside, I'll always say the best try Tate scored was the 2006 Grand Final, but the most impressive one was the opening game of the 2005 Tri-Series against New Zealand. 18-0 down and Tate conjures up a piece of brilliance inside his own 10m line.

@McHunt Herbie > Tate confirmed
Tate was injured for the first part of 2006 - played only 14 games in the regular season - but played three origin games. He was man of the match for game 3, and led the comeback that won the series. He also won a grand final that year. Let's not forget what an horrific run of injuries he had.

Loved Tate as a player (not so much when he went to the Cowboys and even less after he seemingly forgot he ever played for us - but that’s a story for another day…), but I also remember he had some howlers in him.

One in particular; when he put his foot into touch at dummy half. A play like that would fit in well with the Broncos of the last few seasons.
I don't hold it against him. He has a role with North Queensland Rugby League, has a media gig covering the Cowboys and obviously lives up there, naturally he's going to spend more time talking about the Cowboys. Reading through his biography he still has a lot of love and admiration for the Broncos and actually wanted to return to the club in 2011 but was knocked back.

His exit was also sketchy with the club keeping a lot of premiership winners in the dark and while he had something lined up at the Warriors thanks to his brother-in-law the Broncos didn't exactly come to the table for him either.

It's actually a good read if you can get your hands on it.

Tate was injured for the first part of 2006 - played only 14 games in the regular season - but played three origin games. He was man of the match for game 3, and led the comeback that won the series. He also won a grand final that year. Let's not forget what an horrific run of injuries he had.
The reason I brought up 2006 is because I felt it encapsulated his career really well. At the end of the day he only scored 5 tries during the season which is not a lot for a world class outside back but they were significant tries and his rep form certainly added to his reputation.

Otherwise, Tate never finished among the top ten try-scorers in an NRL season. I wouldn't describe him as a try scoring machine, just a really good well-rounded player.

I don't hold it against him. He has a role with North Queensland Rugby League, has a media gig covering the Cowboys and obviously lives up there, naturally he's going to spend more time talking about the Cowboys. Reading through his biography he still has a lot of love and admiration for the Broncos and actually wanted to return to the club in 2011 but was knocked back.

His exit was also sketchy with the club keeping a lot of premiership winners in the dark and while he had something lined up at the Warriors thanks to his brother-in-law the Broncos didn't exactly come to the table for him either.

It's actually a good read if you can get your hands on it.

The reason I brought up 2006 is because I felt it encapsulated his career really well. At the end of the day he only scored 5 tries during the season which is not a lot for a world class outside back but they were significant tries and his rep form certainly added to his reputation.

Otherwise, Tate never finished among the top ten try-scorers in an NRL season. I wouldn't describe him as a try scoring machine, just a really good well-rounded player.

My memory is a bit blurry on Tate but from recollection he had quite a few detractors during the earlier days of his career too and didn’t really win everyone over until later in his career.

I never would’ve come up with it independently but the Herbie / Tate comparison isn’t a bad one imo. I think the biggest difference is Tate was one of those old school tough and ultra competitive players.

Not that it proves too much but after 41 games- Herbie 9 tries, Tate 19.

They were Tate's best two years in 02 and 03- He didn't get to 10 again in a year until 2013.

Those 19 tries in his first 41 games were 23% of his career 81 tries.

Not that it proves too much but after 41 games- Herbie 9 tries, Tate 19.

They were Tate's best two years in 02 and 03- He didn't get to 10 again in a year until 2013.

Those 19 tries in his first 41 games were 23% of his career 81 tries.
As you say, it doesn’t prove a great deal.

As just one example why, Tate was in a much better team than Herbie.

That is a double edged sword, as it would make his job easier but also mean he had to share the spoils with the other guns in the team.

Not to mention with him and Tunza in the team, our ‘chins’ were easily the mightiest in the comp…

WHO in the damn club is looking out for the next generation of chins, is what I really want to know…

Exactly! You cannot win a comp without at least one player with a massive chin these days, this should be the first type of player recruited.

Boyd cordner had a big butt-chin thing going on too and won consecutive premierships.
We need to get Tonie Carroll on the coaching staff if we're any chance. I'm convinced now.

Anywhere, that just needs to be in the team, I don't care if he is named on the bench and never takes the field even, even if he isn't even in the stadium.
Unfortunately he's a computer simulation but maybe we can list him as a digital staff member.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Sproj
  • johnny plath
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Mr Fourex
  • kiwibronco
  • mitch222
  • Wendall Taylor
  • HVbronco
  • Manofoneway
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Foordy
  • phoenix
  • Santa
  • Footy Fanatic
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.