Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

He is right about one thing, now that we lost Flegler we need to keep Payne.
Yes, I think we'll miss Flegler more than Herbie. I don't see anyone coming through who'll be an instant upgrade. Haas, Carrigan and Flegler is a heck of a battering ram.

While I can reasonably forsee Selwyn being an upgrade on Herbie in attack, he'll have lift his workload to replace him in defence. Still a loss.

I'd say it's got a lot more to do with the cap rising to record levels.
But also in the last couple of weeks Payne's lifted his game towards the potential we've always known he's had. If he's setting up tries and scoring them himself, ****, just keep him at the table until everyone's happy. We can build a dynasty around that.

I just cant see cobbo at centre any time soon. His footy needs more development.
I have a similar reservation, but I'd still be inclined to throw caution to the wind and plug him in. The kid is a freak, ball in hand. Beyond anyone else in the squad. Maybe anyone in the entire comp. He will make things happen that will put points on the board. But he'll also **** up occasionally. I'm not sure if that can been trained out of him. Maybe. But he's a bit wasted on the wing.

That said, pound for pound, while I rate his potential higher than Herbie, I wouldn't like to say his passing game is any better and his defence is distinctly suss. He's not a like for like replacement.

I reckon he gets the off season there, a month or two to cement his place and then all bets are off.

The hell does that mean? Am I just tired or do those things contradict each other?
He's claiming the club is a long way down the negotiation track towards an extension. We've heard that a couple of times recently from Badel. Once with Herbie, which turned out to be right except he got the club wrong (lol); the other with Patty, which went our way much faster than expected.

Entertainment value only, I reckon.

The hell does that mean? Am I just tired or do those things contradict each other?
Negotiations are a long way down the track…or…they have been going for a while so, expect an announcement soon due to the fact they have been negotiating for a decent amount of time.

Whether it’s true is the question…

Negotiations are a long way down the track…or…they have been going for a while so, expect an announcement soon due to the fact they have been negotiating for a decent amount of time.

Whether it’s true is the question…
I thought he meant the deal is a long way down the road lol.
Ignoring Dobbo, I reckon Payne will stay unless we get seriously outgunned on money. For starters, his home situation has changed, now he's settled with a wife and child, plus his mother incarcerated in Brisbane.

One of the things he claimed he wanted was to be in the race for a premiership. Well he's got that now with the Broncos. Both he and Patty have told the media they're best mates, and you can see the effect Walsh has had in bonding the team. They seem in a good place compared to last year.

He's just won the Hornibrook Medal, and there's also very good chance he could add the Dally M and Churchill medal to his collection.

What more could he want from a club other than money?

Ignoring Dobbo, I reckon Payne will stay unless we get seriously outgunned on money. For starters, his home situation has changed, now he's settled with a wife and child, plus his mother incarcerated in Brisbane.

One of the things he claimed he wanted was to be in the race for a premiership. Well he's got that now with the Broncos. Both he and Patty have told the media they're best mates, and you can see the effect Walsh has had in bonding the team. They seem in a good place compared to last year.

He's just won the Hornibrook Medal, and there's also very good chance he could add the Dally M and Churchill medal to his collection.

What more could he want from a club other than money?

Is Kevvie bilingual and does Kevvie in fact speak French at home?

I have a similar reservation, but I'd still be inclined to throw caution to the wind and plug him in. The kid is a freak, ball in hand. Beyond anyone else in the squad. Maybe anyone in the entire comp. He will make things happen that will put points on the board. But he'll also **** up occasionally. I'm not sure if that can been trained out of him. Maybe. But he's a bit wasted on the wing.

That said, pound for pound, while I rate his potential higher than Herbie, I wouldn't like to say his passing game is any better and his defence is distinctly suss. He's not a like for like replacement.

I reckon he gets the off season there, a month or two to cement his place and then all bets are off.
I think Selwyn will serve us well in either position. I would base where Selwyn plays on where Mariner best fits. Staggs has the right centre spot locked down. So if Mariner is a better centre than winger, which he appears to be, then I’d keep Selwyn where he is and being Mariner straight in.

I don’t think Selwyn can defend at centre. Plus apparently the best part of his game nowadays is his metres from our own half so why would we want to change that? He’s a winger for now.

I don’t think Selwyn can defend at centre. Plus apparently the best part of his game nowadays is his metres from our own half so why would we want to change that? He’s a winger for now.

You do realise one of Herbie's strengths is his metres on the second / third run right? Same as Mariner, just because you move to centre doesn't mean you can't run anymore. When Cobbo filled in at centre early in his career because we had a million injuries, he defended really well. He was a left centre / fullback coming through, he isn't completely inexperienced there. I say give him first shot next year, and if it doesn't work, give Mariner a go.

Yeah Cobbo's weakness is his defence. That's not just my opinion but based on last season's defensive stats on nrl.com, he was always in the bottom echelon of Broncos players for tackle efficiency and missed tackles.
Last game he didn't mark up on defence and let a Tigers wing walk in for a try. Good thing is he's still young and there's plenty of room for improvement but this weakness will be exploited by the blues in Origin.

Yeah Cobbo's weakness is his defence. That's not just my opinion but based on last season's defensive stats on nrl.com, he was always in the bottom echelon of Broncos players for tackle efficiency and missed tackles.
Last game he didn't mark up on defence and let a Tigers wing walk in for a try. Good thing is he's still young and there's plenty of room for improvement but this weakness will be exploited by the blues in Origin.
The tigers scored 2 try’s, one was a kick for Papali’i and the other was Simpkin from dummy half when Walsh had a lapse of concentration. Who was this tigers winger that walked in for a try off of a Cobbo misread?

The tigers scored 2 try’s, one was a kick for Papali’i and the other was Simpkin from dummy half when Walsh had a lapse of concentration. Who was this tigers winger that walked in for a try off of a Cobbo misread?
I think he meant the one that happened in the dragons game.

Unread

Active Now

• broncoscope
  • john1420
  • Behold
  • Bucking Beads
  • scobie
  • GCBRONCO
  • Johnny92
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.