Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Swordfish

Swordfish

QCup Player
Aug 24, 2022
I for one, do not think Sam would be a right fit at our club.

Except the fact that we handled him very poorly before he went on to sign with Rotters, I don’t see a capable half in him. If he’s not able to adjust at Rotters for their “system” I don’t think he would fit into our system at all. It’s a constant headache for Kev & a piece of cake for media to bash us constantly.
Why invite unnecessary issues when we can get by it in other ways?

I’m aware Jock performed poorly against Souffs the other day but hopeful that he would pick his game up given time. He’s the kind of guy that would suit us with our style of play & we can demand him to perform to suit our structures if the need be. But with Sam, I don’t think any of this is possible as he wants to play his style of footy which will be opposite to ours. I see more downsides in signing Sam. I would like us to steer clear of that thought.

johnyE

johnyE

NYC Player
Aug 17, 2015
Just an observation ,but Jock Madden plays his debut and is bog average , Valynce Te Whare plays his first ever game and gets a double. Surely Cyril Conell couldn't be the only bloke ever to recognise new talent. I 'm not saying that's perhaps a fair comparison , buy shit it says something about our ability to recruit good prospects . What exciting potential players are coming through for the Broncos, or do we just keep recruiting journeymen?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Just an observation ,but Jock Madden plays his debut and is bog average , Valynce Te Whare plays his first ever game and gets a double. Surely Cyril Conell couldn't be the only bloke ever to recognise new talent. I 'm not saying that's perhaps a fair comparison , buy shit it says something about our ability to recruit good prospects . What exciting potential players are coming through for the Broncos, or do we just keep recruiting journeymen?

Te Whare got an impressive double on debut and that makes him an automatic outstanding talent? You know who else has scored two tries on debut? Many, many, many players, including off the top of my head, Jonus Pearson. Where is he now?

Lockyer had one of the worst national debuts of all time. Hodges first origin was an all-time shocker. One game is not a great sample size to be judging talent on. Te Whare looks WAY overweight and was struggling for more than half that game. Let's give him time before we sing his praises. Let's see how he goes when teams start to plan for him like they do every player.

Additionally, it seems like you are saying Mam, Haas, Farnworth, Staggs, Oates, Cobbo, Walsh, Riki, Fifita, Dearden, Coates, Carrigan, Flegler, Hetherington, Paix, T.Boyd aren't talents?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Te Whare got an impressive double on debut and that makes him an automatic outstanding talent? You know who else has scored two tries on debut? Many, many, many players, including off the top of my head, Jonus Pearson. Where is he now?

Lockyer had one of the worst national debuts of all time. Hodges first origin was an all-time shocker. One game is not a great sample size to be judging talent on. Te Whare looks WAY overweight and was struggling for more than half that game. Let's give him time before we sing his praises. Let's see how he goes when teams start to plan for him like they do every player.

Additionally, it seems like you are saying Mam, Haas, Farnworth, Staggs, Oates, Cobbo, Walsh, Riki, Fifita, Dearden, Coates, Carrigan, Flegler, Hetherington, Paix, T.Boyd aren't talents?

He also plays centre ... not halves, which is a far harder position to play

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013

He also got two on debut in Cup as well just running around having a laugh. He's certainly improved from BRL 12 months ago but in reality, he hasn't been put under too much pressure yet. He's done a lot with a little but he's going have to go up again now.

He's led a charmed 12 months, two on debut in Cup in a 54-0 rout, plays half the season and wins centre of the year and plays in a Grand Final, makes his NRL debut and scores two in a huge win.

Can't fault his improvement but NRL is not going to be all laughs and free running. Sharks dusted him up first time they went at him they just didn't have enough ball to do it the 12 times they should have. Without the ball will be hist test.

johnyE

johnyE

NYC Player
Aug 17, 2015
Yes I'll agree to some of that , of course not every player is a debut bolter, perhaps apart from Reece Walsh, Ezra who has shown their talent previously, having a breakout year this year in our current roster. Perhaps good prospects is the wrong term, they have all shown their ability this year and I did not mean to suggest anywhere in what I said 3/4 of this roster don't have talent However we 'll need a prop, a 3/4 and possibly a winger and a 1/2 going forward into the future and I don't see anyone adept to take these positions , and put a stamp on them. Sure possibly I'm not aware of them either. I just question our depth ,thats all I'm saying. I mean we get Hass and Ezra out for one game and our loss is an aberration ? I simply point out it's an observation.

yes I'll agrr

Jedhead

Jedhead

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jan 8, 2018
Yip, Riki, Mam, Walsh, Carrigan, Haas, Flegler, Farnworth, Cobbo, Hetherington all journeymen.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Yip, Riki, Mam, Walsh, Carrigan, Haas, Flegler, Farnworth, Cobbo, Hetherington all journeymen.

Hetherington pretty much is to be honest-Capras Cyril, Norths Colts captain in 2018, 6 for Valleys in 2019, Norths ISC for two games in 2019, One ISC game for Souths in 20. NRL debut 2021.

johnyE

johnyE

NYC Player
Aug 17, 2015
Hetherington pretty much is to be honest-Capras Cyril, Norths Colts captain in 2018, 6 for Valleys in 2019, Norths ISC for two games in 2019, One ISC game for Souths in 20. NRL debut 2021.
Ok I get the cynicism, but I actually rate Hetherington. He's got a promising future.

TimWhatley

TimWhatley

QCup Player
Dec 1, 2019
My only issue with our recruitment and retention is we haven't been able to develop a halfback since Ben Hunt.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
My only issue with our recruitment and retention is we haven't been able to develop a halfback since Ben Hunt.

Even that was dogshit - Hunt had to play bench hooker for like 5 years.

Turned out great for Queensland, but could've been better for us

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Even that was dogshit - Hunt had to play bench hooker for like 5 years.

Turned out great for Queensland, but could've been better for us
Fake news:

ScreenScreenshot 2023 05 08 at 10 06 46 Custom Match List

BooKhaki

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
I'm still on the Capewell to 13 bandwagon, I think losing Flegler and Palasia makes it even more valuable of a move. His lateral movement has been bad which is causing majority of his bulk missed tackles, but he is obviously very skilful. He could turn into a Yeo like player for us if he could handle the workload in the middle.

Unfortunately there really isn't much talent that is available next year when it comes to middles or edges. The best names I can see without deals for 2024 are Frizell, Bullemor, Sorensen, Lodge and Nathan Brown.

I think the last 2 are a hard no. Frizell would be a great get, his form has been strong when on the park, but getting him to QLD could be tough. Bullemor would 100% be worth getting back as he'd be a low price get and could be awesome to come on and play impact middle instead of being misused on the edge, and Sorensen is a bit of a meh.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
I'm still on the Capewell to 13 bandwagon, I think losing Flegler and Palasia makes it even more valuable of a move. His lateral movement has been bad which is causing majority of his bulk missed tackles, but he is obviously very skilful. He could turn into a Yeo like player for us if he could handle the workload in the middle.

Unfortunately there really isn't much talent that is available next year when it comes to middles or edges. The best names I can see without deals for 2024 are Frizell, Bullemor, Sorensen, Lodge and Nathan Brown.

I think the last 2 are a hard no. Frizell would be a great get, his form has been strong when on the park, but getting him to QLD could be tough. Bullemor would 100% be worth getting back as he'd be a low price get and could be awesome to come on and play impact middle instead of being misused on the edge, and Sorensen is a bit of a meh.
I think bullemore too would be good to get back. He had some great moments for us and playing in a pack with patty and payne would be great. Different to flegler but faster, more agile and better footwork. I say sign him and sign big Marty on an extension and we have our pack sorted for 2024

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
No thanks to Bullemor as a back rower. He's not a back rower. I used to think he could play there but after watching him i dont think so anymore.

Maybe we need to take a leaf out of Wayne's book and get somebody in who we could convert to a back rower like Lemuelu.

Active Now

• broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Galah
  • Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • Scdeac
  • phoenix
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.