Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I don’t think we realistically could get a better group of forwards than our current best crop. Especially if we were able to hold onto them as they continue to develop. Unless we replace Capewell with an out and out gun second rower and a high quality prop.

Individually, i dont think we can. Collectively, i think we probably could if we recruited well. Especially with Flegler leaving its risky to have a big chunk of our cap tied up in Carrigan and Haas.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
gone are the days of the forwards taking a bit less to make sure they are a better chance of winning comps

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
gone are the days of the forwards taking a bit less to make sure they are a better chance of winning comps

It's just a sign of the times. Collecting enough money before shit hits the fan is the new rat race.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
I'd be upset if Payne leaves, but I think even I'd take the massive Union money if I was in his position. Either way, I won't be mad at him, he's contributed more on the field than most Broncos players have in their entire careers. Its a shame the rest of the team has been poor up until now.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
You cant blame players for taking the money, i would. I just have an issue with them giving us the cliches like they love the Broncos, they want to play with their mates, they want to win titles here. Said it before when they talk the talk but then walk in a different direction thats when i think they are just a waste of space. I wont feel any different with Payne to how i felt when Coates and Fifita left if he keeps giving us the same dribble about loving it here etc. You are either willing to take a bit less to stay with your mates and play at a club you supposedly love, or you just want money.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
You cant blame players for taking the money, i would. I just have an issue with them giving us the cliches like they love the Broncos, they want to play with their mates, they want to win titles here. Said it before when they talk the talk but then walk in a different direction thats when i think they are just a waste of space. I wont feel any different with Payne to how i felt when Coates and Fifita left if he keeps giving us the same dribble about loving it here etc. You are either willing to take a bit less to stay with your mates and play at a club you supposedly love, or you just want money.
Its not really a bit less though. Fifita left for substantially more money (wasn't it like 300,000 - 400,000 a year more or something?), and the Union offer for Haas sounds even way more than that.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Its not really a bit less though. Fifita left for substantially more money (wasn't it like 300,000 - 400,000 a year more or something?), and the Union offer for Haas sounds even way more than that.

I think it was about 350k a year he got extra i think, although i doubt we will ever get an accurate figure. Its a lot of money, but thats not the point for me. You either want the money, or you want to make a sacrifice and stay with your mates and try to win a title at the club you say you love. So far most of our players arent really sacrificing anything in salary to stay here these days and plenty are leaving to go elsewhere.

As i said, i dont blame them for chasing the money, most people would and i know i would. I just get sick of these ***** saying how much they love the club only to walk out. They should be honest and do what Ben Hunt did and say its a financial decision.

heartly87

heartly87

NRL Player
May 10, 2014
I really like what our recruitment looks like in the last couple of years. We are going to market and also bringing in the our youth. It shows our young guys they are not entitled to spots as in years past, unlikely to pay overs and we seem a more age balanced side.

I really want to keep Payne after the start he has had this year. He has developed his game, more aggressive, offload and even some leadership. But if he goes it does open a big chunk of cap. The next two years in recruitment are pivotal to us getting a prem if not this year.

Mick_Hancock

Mick_Hancock

NRL Player
Feb 26, 2023
I don't agree. If he was staying, he was staying as our halfback. He was just offered Fifita-level overs, at least he was honest about it instead of stringing the club along. I have no ill-feelings towards him at all, and would love to have him back. He's the only thing stopping the Dragons from losing by 50 each week, and he plays with passion every game. And perhaps playing off the bench for the first 3 or 4 years of his career means he is less battered than the average 34 year old, he's certainly not looking like he's near the end.
Couldn’t agree more with this. Seriously, back then the going rate wasn’t anywhere near the $1.2M that Ian Millward got him. Also the same dickhead that compares him to Johns 😂. Can you blame him for taking an extra 4-500K a year?! Nope. Good on him.

Kooly87

Kooly87

NRL Captain
Jun 2, 2017
That’s the thing though, it’s not ‘a bit less money’ it’s the kind of sums that would be life changing amounts of money for 99% of Australians, and you get that EVERY single year…

It hurts, it hurts like hell to be honest, but our guys aren’t leaving for a small upgrade, in the most part they’re leaving for the kind of money that would pay off an entire mortgage for a huge chunk of the population. You can change not only your own life, you can change the lives of the people you hold nearest and dearest with that kind of money. You can love your workplace, but it’s bloody hard to convince me that most people could love their workplace THAT much…

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Ben Hunt said a couple of weeks ago that he hates playing 9. I'd give up on us trying to sign him to play there tbh.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
was just reading on the courier mail that every dragons board member brushed the event to celebrate hunts 300th game even our coach and a few ex players turned up what a shit hole club.

In fairness his dinner was on the GC and I doubt any board member was in camp with them.

Who wants or knows their board members anyway? Doubt Hunt cares.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017
In fairness his dinner was on the GC and I doubt any board member was in camp with them.

probably doesn't care looks like from the outside he has one foot out the door anyway.
would have thought any ex players would have shown up they would atleast understood how big a deal 300 is.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016

Hunt wouldnt care about them not travelling up. He has however voiced his issues with them about their management about the whole hook thing.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
That’s the thing though, it’s not ‘a bit less money’ it’s the kind of sums that would be life changing amounts of money for 99% of Australians, and you get that EVERY single year…

It hurts, it hurts like hell to be honest, but our guys aren’t leaving for a small upgrade, in the most part they’re leaving for the kind of money that would pay off an entire mortgage for a huge chunk of the population. You can change not only your own life, you can change the lives of the people you hold nearest and dearest with that kind of money. You can love your workplace, but it’s bloody hard to convince me that most people could love their workplace THAT much…

Like i said, i dont have any drama's with players wanting the best deal they can financially. Go back and look at anything i've posted, i always say nobody is turning down big money. I just cant stand how they all trot out the same bullshit lines. Nobody is going to begrudge any player looking out for themselves financially. Just be honest.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Sproj
  • Swordfish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.