Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
We'll be offering similar, it would have to be far higher than that to convince Haas to leave.

I was sold, on trying to get Hunt back for a final year or 2 at hooker. then he said in the media how he doesn't like playing hooker at club level ... now I'm back on the fence.

we could easily cover that after losing Flegs and Herbie for next year ... the question is if it would be worth it

Dont forget though some of that cash has probably gone on upgrades and we still have to replace at least Tommy.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I can't see Haas going to Yawnion unless it's for some crazy amount of money that simply can't be refused like 1.5-2 million a year. He's far more likely to take the desperation money from the likes of the Tigers, Dragons or Knights just so he can earn big money while still dominating League.

The fact he's from NSW is working against us far more than anything RA are doing.

I dont think him being from NSW is that big of a deal. His family and their property are Gold coast based. As boring as Union is, he will get more exposure and money playing it. Top union players will get far bigger off field sponsorship deals than league players. His earning capacity as a Union player is just so much bigger than if he stays here.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Haas's Dad's eyes are lighting up with the dollar signs. **** these people mooching off him. The problem is that as much as Payne loves the Broncos, he almost certainly loves his family more.

I can see a situation where he chooses to leave, despite his own wish to stay, in order to do what his family wants. But I say, **** the family. If they loved him as much as he loves them, they'd tell him to do what he wants (and still get good coin to do it).

TLRD, this won't be about whether Payne wants to leave or not, it will be about how greedy his family is.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Don't even want Hunt back. He'll be 34 round 1 next year, hard pass.

$400k i think is a good deal if we could get him for that. Not sure the NRL would allow it though.

My worry is players of that age can come of the back of a good year and then just fall off a cliff.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
$400k i think is a good deal if we could get him for that. Not sure the NRL would allow it though.

My worry is players of that age can come of the back of a good year and then just fall off a cliff.
Yep like Thurston. Realistically we're going to have to pay him 700k minimum. Way too high of a risk and he'll probably be a sook **** about playing 9.

He could have stayed here and dominated at 9 but he pulled a Hoffman and had a cry because he couldn't play his preferred position.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Yep like Thurston. Realistically we're going to have to pay him 700k minimum. Way too high of a risk and he'll probably be a sook **** about playing 9.

He could have stayed here and dominated at 9 but he pulled a Hoffman and had a cry because he couldn't play his preferred position.

I don't agree. If he was staying, he was staying as our halfback. He was just offered Fifita-level overs, at least he was honest about it instead of stringing the club along. I have no ill-feelings towards him at all, and would love to have him back. He's the only thing stopping the Dragons from losing by 50 each week, and he plays with passion every game. And perhaps playing off the bench for the first 3 or 4 years of his career means he is less battered than the average 34 year old, he's certainly not looking like he's near the end.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
What about Hunt coming as some sort of ball playing lock? He pretty much plays this position for QLD anyway

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013

Were we even pushing him to play 9? Disagree for similar reasons to Morkel. I'd add though that he needed to get away from this club to get away from 2015 and to get a fresh start. I don't know his character as a person but I could certainly see him fading into obscurity or pulling a Luke Brooks if he stayed with us.

That's not to say I'd take him back at 34. The price would be important and he would absolutely need to be playing hooker or coming off the bench to relieve the starting hooker...meaning, I can't see it tbh. If he was happy to do that and meet that criteria, I'd welcome him back with open arms.

S

Sanjit Joseph

NYC Player
Oct 21, 2017
Carrigan to 8.
Hunt 9
Hetherington 13.

Hunt can move into roaming lock and have Walters, paix or mozer on bench.

Having Benny back will be nice :)

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Don't even want Hunt back. He'll be 34 round 1 next year, hard pass.
Then remember griffin sat him on the bench for 2-3(?) odd years In his early 20s. 800k with dragons chipping in some is a bargain. If he is keen he is a must buy.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
A coup for @007 with Ben Hunt dining with Kevvie and Macca, but being linked to the Titans. His latest contract reportedly has no get out clause in the case of Hook getting hooked.

I said weeks ago Hunt is shopping. Hes furious at the club. Dragons are prepared to chip in for part of his contract next year. The board is a mess. A good club will get him for 800k.

Active Now

• Santa
  • bb_gun
  • Fozz
  • Wolfie
  • Socnorb
  • Lostboy
  • Xzei
  • davidp
  • Mr Fourex
  • Midean
  • broncos4life
  • Dexter
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.