Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Kev met Hunt for dinner this week...
Smart if we can land him however you’d think the dolphins would have the cash to splash + the WB factor. Anything under 700k is a good deal. I’d like to see a hunt/mozer 9 rotation.
Paix and Walters would be back to qcup or shopped around. Not sure how that would impact things with billy though.

Movement in the Rumour Tracker:

Broncos (typically) trying to raid other clubs. As typical, targeting the Roosters, with a strong rumour they'll sign Fletcher Baker (aka Fletcher Who?) for 24/25 and might also be sniffing Sam Walker's stool. Walker is apparently being shopped around, confirming the rumour the ever reliable @McHunt completely made up. He's shown interest in the Dolphins but Bennett is being coy. Broncos have not been mentioned.

A coup for @007 with Ben Hunt dining with Kevvie and Macca, but being linked to the Titans. His latest contract reportedly has no get out clause in the case of Hook getting hooked.

Rugby Australia boss Hamish McLennan on Payne:

“I’m serious if they are serious ... and we’ll pay more. I phoned his dad Greg. We had a chat about Payne playing rugby. He said Payne was really keen and the next steps were that we’d catch up when I’m next in Brisbane. I took it on face value that he was keen to join rugby but nothing more has happened since. Payne would have an incredible international career if he joined rugby but if he decides to stay in league then at least I can say I played a role in getting him a better deal. Greg and Payne can buy me lunch.”​

Adam Reynolds:

“I can’t see him going to rugby, although the dollars would be nice. His heart is in rugby league. His heart is with the Broncos. He just shows what a quality player he is week-in and week-out. He would obviously be a massive loss to the game if we were to lose him.”​
“I’ll get him in a headlock and bunker him down. Working with him day-in and day-out, you see the passion he has for the club. It is tough, though, when you have got that external noise in the background, but Payne is a professional and he handles his business probably better than most. No doubt he wants to remain at the Broncos.”​

Walters:

“We are very comfortable with our position with Payne. I’m sure Payne is as well I’m sure he has some options there but I reckon the good option is to stay at the Broncos and win those premierships he is chasing. He can do that here. I am very confident he will stay.”​

The same way Souffs can fit Wighton to play Centre: he took unders to win a premiership before retirement.

Its still going to be a $750-800k a year contract you would think. Fair amount of money for a bloke who will be 34 next march.

How do we fit Hunt under the cap i wonder.
Sure Thing Smile GIF by SNOCKS GmbH

All I can suggest, as I've been saying all along, don't get your hopes up. I'll be extremely surprised if he stays but even more surprised if he stays before November 30. His manager is going to want to go to market, he's a money hungry grub and Haas's family leach off him. He will also be paying very expensive fees for his mother's legal situation. He won't be staying for less with us if he stays at all.

With RA basically saying they will beat any contract Payne gets offered if he is money motivated he will be off to Union.

The alarm bells are starting to ring with Payne and this situation now. His father has come out made a lot of positive comments about Union and how League is small compared to it. Now Union saying they have directly called his father and he said Payne is keen. I personally find it very odd they are going to the bloke who is basically the head of the Haas family rather than his management,

I can't see Haas going to Yawnion unless it's for some crazy amount of money that simply can't be refused like 1.5-2 million a year. He's far more likely to take the desperation money from the likes of the Tigers, Dragons or Knights just so he can earn big money while still dominating League.

The fact he's from NSW is working against us far more than anything RA are doing.

Yep. They free up sualli, downgrade on Keary and JWH and spend 1.1 mil on haas.

We'll be offering similar, it would have to be far higher than that to convince Haas to leave.

Kev met Hunt for dinner this week...

I was sold, on trying to get Hunt back for a final year or 2 at hooker. then he said in the media how he doesn't like playing hooker at club level ... now I'm back on the fence.

Its still going to be a $750-800k a year contract you would think. Fair amount of money for a bloke who will be 34 next march.

we could easily cover that after losing Flegs and Herbie for next year ... the question is if it would be worth it

The fantasy that Walters would be trying to poach a 34 year old on top dollar to take his son's position is hard to squeeze into a sane agenda.

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • BrisVegas
  • scobie
  • ChewThePhatt
  • BroncosAlways
  • OnToSomething
  • winslow_wong
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Battler
  • Xzei
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.