Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Stoked. The impact he has had on the club has been amazing. He's also an incredible player.
All true, but to be brutally honest, the club will have fucked up if we're relying on him being our number 7 in 2025. We should well and truly have a succession plan in place by then. And even if Adam is still our first pick, how much of the cap do we allocate to him?

I can see why his agent is moving on this now, but I don't think it's in the club's best interest to lock themselves in. Unless Donuts can wangle some kind of Darius deal that could transition him into the coaching staff should he look like a burden on the cap.

Maybe whatever mystery conversation they had with Oates that resulted in those two years of player options, that kind of arrangement might be the answer. Or Kevvie's contract: filled with clauses.

In the meantime, he could use another premiership ring.

All true, but to be brutally honest, the club will have fucked up if we're relying on him being our number 7 in 2025. We should well and truly have a succession plan in place by then. And even if Adam is still our first pick, how much of the cap do we allocate to him?

I can see why his agent is moving on this now, but I don't think it's in the club's best interest to lock themselves in. Unless Donuts can wangle some kind of Darius deal that could transition him into the coaching staff should he look like a burden on the cap.

Maybe whatever mystery conversation they had with Oates that resulted in those two years of player options, that kind of arrangement might be the answer. Or Kevvie's contract: filled with clauses.

In the meantime, he could use another premiership ring.
If you have a better halfback waiting in your wings let's everyone know and we'll sign him on.

If you have a better halfback waiting in your wings let's everyone know and we'll sign him on.
Last time I looked clubs didn't rely on fans as talent scouts.

He can go round again. Not that old for a halfback and with Walsh and Mam he doesn't need to do the flashy stuff. Another year at 400-450k would be a steal.
We have weapons galore and he is the conductor who can play at whatever tempo he wants, happy for him to go to 40 if he feels he can.
The oldest players in the NRL right now are 34:

But playing beyond that is not without precedent.
Allan Langer retired (for the final time) at 36.
DCE is contracted until he's 36.
Cronk retired at 35.
Lockyer at 34.
Karmichael Hunt at 34.

Adam Reynolds age:
2023: 32 (contracted)
2024: 33 (contracted)
2025: 34
2025: 35
2027: 36

Thankfully Reynolds doesn't need to rely on anything that degrades with age, except for general injury and wear & tear. I'm sure he'd be on an "old man" training regime, not getting ripped apart in fitness, strength, etc, so they'll be managing him.

So Fletcher has signed and we've got another thread for that but the other part of this article I want to focus on here is that unless it is an oversight, this means that Te Kura has indeed been signed for at least another year (hopefully as @1910 has said, to 2026).

But also it means three things for Bayliss-Brow:
1. He has been given an extension and it also hasn't been announced
2. He has finally realised that just Bayliss is so much better than Bayliss-Brow
3. Whoever the 'Brow' part of the family is, they may now be disowned

Simpkin is reportedly being considered for release by the Tigers as they have salary cap issues. I hope we get on the phone.

Simpkin is reportedly being considered for release by the Tigers as they have salary cap issues. I hope we get on the phone.
He's not really been playing that well though.

He's only had limited time on the field, but even last year he probably only looked a slight upgrade on Paix 🤔🤔

then i really have to ask how much the Tigers are paying him if releasing him helps their salary cap, especially after still having to replace him with another player in the top 30.

secondly, IMO he isn't an improvement on what we have at the club. so I'd probably pass at this stage

I don't. Billy is playing better football. Paixy suits coming off the bench better and we have Smoothy as the depth option and Mozer as the future of that position. Don't really see the need to go out of our way for someone who doesn't really fix issues and will expect to be playing first grade.

Better the devil you know at this stage I think

I don't. Billy is playing better football. Paixy suits coming off the bench better and we have Smoothy as the depth option and Mozer as the future of that position. Don't really see the need to go out of our way for someone who doesn't really fix issues and will expect to be playing first grade.
Yep precisely. I don't think hooker is something we are particularly weak in anymore. Unlike the last two years

time for people to stop dreaming of Hunt coming here to play hooker.

it's been reported that Hunt has issued an ultimatum to the next Dragons coach that he's gone if they attempt to play him at hooker.

time for people to stop dreaming of Hunt coming here to play hooker.

it's been reported that Hunt has issued an ultimatum to the next Dragons coach that he's gone if they attempt to play him at hooker.
But Kev isn’t the next dragons coach

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • The True King
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Xzei
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • BroncosAlways
  • Johnny92
  • Jazza
  • FACTHUNT
  • I bleed Maroon
  • jd87
  • Hurrijo
  • Brocko
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.