Broncos Roster, Signings and Rumours Discussion 2023

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
I get the feeling they're listening to the media and instead of trying to get the likes of Paix / Sexton. They'll be greedy and go for Mozer / Campbell, which is a pipe dream at best.
Which only works if the players want to go. No way does someone like Mozer or Campbell even consider the Dragons.

Best they'll get is someone desperate for Gametime like a Paix.

Keeping Hunt is a bad move. Releasing him and getting some cash is smart

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Which only works if the players want to go. No way does someone like Mozer or Campbell even consider the Dragons.

Best they'll get is someone desperate for Gametime like a Paix.

Keeping Hunt is a bad move. Releasing him and getting some cash is smart

Its a very dumb decision at this current point. They are shooting themselves in the foot. Standing a high ground is one thing - but its just reflecting how desperate the board is - making it far more unattractive for a player to come. They could also be front loading the contracts and cap, or even shopping for next year. The longer they leave it - the more fucked they will be.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Its a very dumb decision at this current point. They are shooting themselves in the foot. Standing a high ground is one thing - but its just reflecting how desperate the board is - making it far more unattractive for a player to come. They could also be front loading the contracts and cap, or even shopping for next year. The longer they leave it - the more fucked they will be.
TBH if a players attraction to a club is partially based on "can I get the **** outta here if things don't go my way?", the club is doing well to ward off these type of players.

Unless extenuating circumstances, players should fulfill contracts. Not just being homesick or sick of being in a shitty team.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
TBH if a players attraction to a club is partially based on "can I get the **** outta here if things don't go my way?", the club is doing well to ward off these type of players.

Unless extenuating circumstances, players should fulfill contracts. Not just being homesick or sick of being in a shitty team.

These circumstances aren't normal and a lot more conflict has been happening behind the scenes than is published. The club is a circus.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
These circumstances aren't normal and a lot more conflict has been happening behind the scenes than is published. The club is a circus.
That may well be the case and to be fair to you, you have been on about this for a while re: Hunt.

But until something actually comes out that backs this up, its just very convenient for us to be oh this is different.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Biggest mistake Hunt made was being honest. He could have done a Ryan Matterson.
He was being chased by Parra and wanted out so he just kicked stones at training until the club had no choice but to let him go or waste the cap space. It was no secret what was going on.

The thing pissing me off mostly about this is the way it's beeing reported.
There are 2 things here. 1 is the player leaving a club and how that happens the second is where that player ends up.

The NSW media is running this story like the Broncos are responsible for Hunt wanting to leave the Saints, which is BS.
Since the Broncos emerged as the likely landing place for Hunt the media has gone into overdrive frothing at mouth that the Broncos might increase their chances at a Premiership.
Only days before the same journos were waxing on about what a good fit he would be at the Roosters, give me a break.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
I bet if hunt wanted to go to the roosters, it’d be a done deal.

Doubt it.

Hunt is one of the best Dragons player.

Why the hell did he re-sign late last year. Everyone knew Griffin was going to get the boot.

NRL Captain
Contributor
Sep 22, 2016
Doubt it.

Hunt is one of the best Dragons player.

Why the hell did he re-sign late last year. Everyone knew Griffin was going to get the boot.

The club gave a guarantee to Hunt that he would see out this year and they would make supporting coach adjustments as necessary as well as a recruitment drive. The board in post season review was divided and put pressure to find an alternative coach. The board swung the power of change, the club jumped the gun.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
TPJ > Panthers
SBW > Rorters
Oloapu > Dogs
Souffs land Wighton for '24 on less money

And yet all of a sudden, as soon as Brisbane look to land a big fish, OMFG SCANDAL CRISIS HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN TERRIBLE LOOK...

I honestly don't know why I'm so surprised.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
TPJ > Panthers
SBW > Rorters
Oloapu > Dogs
Souffs land Wighton for '24 on less money

And yet all of a sudden, as soon as Brisbane look to land a big fish, OMFG SCANDAL CRISIS HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN TERRIBLE LOOK...

I honestly don't know why I'm so surprised.
SBW to Roosters?

Was that because of the way he dogged Canterbury in 2008? He was out four years, at that point surely he's free game?

What was the reaction to Chris Walker dogging South Sydney only to join the Roosters in 2003? That for mine was always a sticking point.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
SBW to Roosters?

Was that because of the way he dogged Canterbury in 2008? He was out four years, at that point surely he's free game?

What was the reaction to Chris Walker dogging South Sydney only to join the Roosters in 2003? That for mine was always a sticking point.

No, it was the short stint after Wolfpack

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
They were always going to refuse it at first, but this will be ongoing.

Dragons expecting him to honor his deal until 2025 is wishful thinking, it isn't happening.

I imagine the conversation went along the lines of him not going anywhere this season but pipe down about it and we'll look at moving you on next season.

Biggest mistake Hunt made was being honest. He could have done a Ryan Matterson.
He was being chased by Parra and wanted out so he just kicked stones at training until the club had no choice but to let him go or waste the cap space. It was no secret what was going on.

The thing pissing me off mostly about this is the way it's beeing reported.
There are 2 things here. 1 is the player leaving a club and how that happens the second is where that player ends up.

The NSW media is running this story like the Broncos are responsible for Hunt wanting to leave the Saints, which is BS.
Since the Broncos emerged as the likely landing place for Hunt the media has gone into overdrive frothing at mouth that the Broncos might increase their chances at a Premiership.
Only days before the same journos were waxing on about what a good fit he would be at the Roosters, give me a break.

This. Throw in the Dogs too.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
Few toys have been thrown out of the cot today in this thread.

It's not some anti-Bronco thing, it's more about St George having a backbone and not releasing their star player and captain. I would absolutely expect Brisbane to do the same thing if Adam Reynolds suddenly wanted out.

Xzei

Xzei

State of Origin Rep
Mar 13, 2017

It's not some anti-Bronco thing, it's more about St George having a backbone and not releasing their star player and captain. I would absolutely expect Brisbane to do the same thing if Adam Reynolds suddenly wanted out.
outrage isnt about the dragons they are well within the rights to not deal, it is about how it is played out in the media and all the usual suspects throwing shit.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008

About time a club has a backbone & hopefully standing firm.

So Hunt & wife are homesick, well they can fly their families to Sydney etc.

BroncosFever

BroncosFever

State of Origin Rep
Jun 6, 2014
outrage isnt about the dragons they are well within the rights to not deal, it is about how it is played out in the media and all the usual suspects throwing shit.

No, it's about the disappointment of not having Ben Hunt for the rest of this season.

The media was doing their thing well before today.

Active Now

• Galco
  • Old Mate
  • Financeguy
  • Dexter
  • Seibs
  • Allo
  • Browny
  • KickHaas
  • Harry Sack
  • Brocko
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Cavalo
  • Shane Tronc
  • Loch Ness Monster
  • broncos4life
  • Wolfie
  • Howie
  • Fozz
  • Behind enemy lines
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.