Petey B: Who they playing this week [Checks Notes]

Tapping Channel 9 GIF by LEGO Masters Australia

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
AAP:
"Oates has a one-year extension offer on the table from the Broncos. It is a virtual 'take it or leave it' scenario although negotiations are ongoing with his management. Oates had an option in his favour for next year, and another for 2025, but he rescinded those. The Broncos have offered him more money for 2024 than the agreed deal on the now-defunct option but less than the salary he is on this year."​

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Kevvie when asked if TPJ would be back at the Broncos next year:

“There wouldn’t be (any interest) because we don’t have any room in our salary cap,” he said.

“We signed Payne Haas a couple of weeks ago and we’ve got Pat Carrigan and all these guys who are our middles.

“We wouldn’t be able to finance Tevita.

“I’m not sure where he’ll end up next year. Boxing might be a good opportunity for him, but I think we’ll find him back in a league jersey, maybe across the bridge somewhere.

“He’s coming back to South East Queensland, so if it won’t be us then it’ll either be at Redcliffe or maybe the Titans would entertain him as well.”

Kevvie on the Mam to Raiders link:

“I’ve got nothing but respect for the Raiders, but Ezra will be in a maroon jersey for the next few years, not a green one,” said Walters, who played three seasons in Canberra.

“I know he loves playing here. He’s been through our academy system and then into first grade, so the plan is to keep Ezra.

“The plan will be (to get it done) before November 1. We’ll get the season out of the way in October or whenever it finishes, and then we’ll lock down Ezra, I would imagine. The boys upstairs are looking after that.”

Mick_Hancock

Mick_Hancock

NRL Player
Feb 26, 2023
Very well said Locky 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻::

Lockyer believes there are "a lot of players out there" who are underpaid and many others who are overpaid.

"It's just the way the system works," added the former Broncos captain.

"If you're an individual like Reece and you've done what he's done — he's been amazing, played Origin this year — his value's going up. Now, it might not be right now, but at the time when he comes to the re-negotiation, that's when all his hard work gets rewarded. That's the way it works.

"For every contract you sign, if someone has a fantastic year ... you can't always expect to go back to the club and say, 'I'm worth more, pay me more'. I think it's a two-way street from my perspective.

"You're putting faith in some young juniors that are coming through a system and they're learning their trade and they're contributing more to the team — their time will come where the reward will happen financially."

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Very well said Locky 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻::

Lockyer believes there are "a lot of players out there" who are underpaid and many others who are overpaid.

"It's just the way the system works," added the former Broncos captain.

"If you're an individual like Reece and you've done what he's done — he's been amazing, played Origin this year — his value's going up. Now, it might not be right now, but at the time when he comes to the re-negotiation, that's when all his hard work gets rewarded. That's the way it works.

"For every contract you sign, if someone has a fantastic year ... you can't always expect to go back to the club and say, 'I'm worth more, pay me more'. I think it's a two-way street from my perspective.

"You're putting faith in some young juniors that are coming through a system and they're learning their trade and they're contributing more to the team — their time will come where the reward will happen financially."
Don't know why there's so much chatter about him being underpaid but Harry Grant is on 400k for the last 3 years and not a peep from the media.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Badel says the club is preparing a $5m package deal to re-sign Ezra Mam and Reece Walsh, preferably beyond 2027. He is talking about a potential 150% pay rise for Walsh:

"Mam has been valued at around $700,000 a season, while Walsh is in $1 million territory, a figure that would see him become just the third player in Brisbane’s 35-year history to pocket a seven-figure wage."​

Walters:

“We have kept Payne and I am very confident we can hang onto Walsh and Mam. I accept we can’t keep everyone, but if you keep the nucleus there, that’s always a good thing. We don’t want Reece to become a free agent. He obviously needs a fair upgrade. We’re not stupid at the Broncos, we understand how far he has come in the 12 months, it’s been amazing. It’s the same with Ezra, he has made some really big steps. We’d like to see that progression continue. They are 20 and 21 years old so we need to make sure they are developing and learning as players and more importantly as men. There’s a lot in front of us going into the finals, but we have big plans for Reece and Ezra.”​
“I knew Reece would be a good player, but he has exceeded where we thought we could get him. Anyone who thought he would be this good would be full of it. ’Greeny’ showed great foresight to pick Reece for Queensland when he was only 18 and he was set to debut before he got injured. Reece Walsh has toughness. You don’t grow up in Nerang being the size that he is without toughness, because you don’t survive in the NRL ... physically and mentally you have to be tough enough to cop the collisions. All the good small players like ‘Alfie’, they learn to play tough or they don’t make it and Reece is the same.”​
“We obviously have plans for Ezra to be here long term. Simon Scanlan and Dave Donaghy are working through that. I know he loves playing here. He has been through our Academy system and then into first grade. So the plan is to keep Ezra, that’s for sure. Mam will be in a maroon jersey for the next few years ... not a green one.”​

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
It’s amazing that Dylan Edwards has been on 400k (up to and including this year) and whilst doing so has won 2 premierships.
Reece has had a great year and shows excellent value for 450k yet the media yell and shout, screaming that we must upgrade him now.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Speaking of Oates and his handicap. Over to you, Jamayne:

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Anyone wanting to check out our only real signing for next year, Fletcher Baker has been named to start for the Roosters in place of JWH
How the wheel has turned: the roster rumours now aren't who we need to poach, but who we can afford to offload. Same at the coaching level. We have Karmichael Hunt clearly being groomed as the next generation, but Kevvie doesn't look like he's going anywhere.

kman

kman

QCup Player
Aug 8, 2021
I see alot of potential in Faalago and he's impressed me quite a bit. I believe if we get him early and get him working with Reynolds, we'll have an amazing spine.
In a couple years we could have a crazy spine of
1.Walsh
6.Faalago
7.Mam
9.Mozer

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
I see alot of potential in Faalago and he's impressed me quite a bit. I believe if we get him early and get him working with Reynolds, we'll have an amazing spine.
In a couple years we could have a crazy spine of
1.Walsh
6.Faalago
7.Mam
9.Mozer
I don't want a Victorian in my team hate me or whatever I'm racist.

anyway I see our future 7 as Walker or Lam, I don't want Mam outside 6, they keep saying Mam is a 7 but I see him as a 6 for his whole career and that is fine, just like Munster.

simplythebest

simplythebest

NRL Player
May 22, 2014
This is why we post on a forum and don't work in recruitment. :rofl

Old mate played half a game against a Q Cup Team. Sure, he scored a couple of tries, and yes he's quick.
He played no pressure football. Not that he needed to, but he showed zero game management skills, didn't show off a kicking game or much of a ball playing game.

He's quick an agile, pretty much like every other young kid coming through. Give him some time before throwing the keys of the castle to him.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
I've already seen enough, I want Faalago from storm at our club right now. Offer him a 3 year contract and have him as back fb and half, then replace Reynolds in the halves.

I like the look of him and what I saw earlier in the year in a trial(?)...let's just wait and see though eh? The way Bellamy talks about him though, he's clearly in their long term plans so I can't see them letting him go even if I thought it was a good idea.

Unread

Active Now

• Big Del
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.